Security Audit - Duplicate Passwords

Options
ApplianceJunk
ApplianceJunk
Community Member

When I do the Security Audit for Duplicate Passwords it seems I have a lot of duplicate login info saved for the same websites.

For example the foursevens site in the image below. The top one in the image below includes username and password. The one on the bottom includes just the password, but at the button of the page it has a button that says "Convert to Login".

Thanks,

Comments

• ApplianceJunk
    ApplianceJunk
    Community Member
    Options

Guess I did not really ask a question yet. ;)
    Why does 1P create duplicate entries for the same website?

What can I do to keep it from happening?

Thanks,

• ApplianceJunk
    ApplianceJunk
    Community Member
    Options

ok, a little more info...
    Seem the second duplicate entry info, the one with the icon of a safe dial is created when I update my password for that website.

Not sure why 1P needs to create a second entry for the updated password instead of just updating the original entry that it also seems to be doing.

• ApplianceJunk
    ApplianceJunk
    Community Member
    Options

also it seems every time I update a password it adds a third entry with the same password info with the title of "Safari" as shown in the image below.

So as I'm trying to go through and update old passwords I keep adding duplicate info for some reason, why?

Thanks,

• nathanael
    nathanael
    Community Member
    Options

I'll second this. just read the blog post about Adobe passwords and followed suggestion to check out duplicate passwords in the Security Audit and ALL my passwords are in there because the Login has the same password as the Generated Password entry.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ApplianceJunk and @nathanael,

Great question. I'll do my best to clear things up here.

Why does 1P create duplicate entries for the same website?

The Passwords category is where 1Password stores every password that it generates. So, once you copy this fancy generated password into your existing Login, it will show up as a Duplicate in the Security Audit. 1Password does have a neat little feature though to automatically remove this type of duplicate entry: simply go to Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords. :)

also it seems every time I update a password it adds a third entry with the same password info with the title of "Safari" as shown in the image below.

Now, 1Password shouldn't be adding a third entry to the mix. However, if you generate a password from the browser extension and 1Password can't detect what you are generating the password for, it will give the generated password the title of the browser. Might you have generated a few passwords without actually using them in a Login?

• zibberfitchy
    zibberfitchy
    Community Member
    Options

I don't always want to delete the auto-generated passwords. Sometimes I like having the history. Give us the option to filter out auto-generated passwords duplicate passwords view.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @zibberfitchy,

I removed your duplicate post in another topic, since I'm responding here.

Please keep in mind that you can see the password history of a certain login item by clicking show previously used passwords:

Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.