New Categories in 1Password 4 for Mac

Options
EEDoctor
EEDoctor
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

After updating 1Password to 1Password 4 for Mac and upgrading to Mavericks, my 1Password database includes changes to the categories of entries. For example, I have several "Email Accounts" that are now included under logins. I have "Passwords" that are now listed. In my previous version of 1Password I didn't have such a classification or folder of Passwords. How do I change an "Email Account" listing which is now under "Logins" back to the "Email Account" category?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @EEDoctor,

I apologize for the confusion here. 1Password 4 includes some slight changes in the way categories are organized. The 'Accounts' Category in 1Password 3 has been split up: some items now exist in their own separate category, and some existing entries were merged into the Logins category. At this point, there is no easy way to move an item from one category to another, so your best bet is to re-create the entry with the appropriate item type. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, we are looking for ways to make category switching easier in the future. :)

• 1stilmission
    1stilmission
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

for me too same issue (and I consider this as an issue, better to say it´s more of a bug). I just upgraded to 1Password 4 and I am very surprised - in fact disappointed - at the way categories are handled. I expected a drag´n drop functionality for reassigning items. For a modern piece of software a matter of course!

The best bet to recreate the entries is a bad joke - I´ve got over 800 items and all my e-mail accounts are assigned to logins automatically after upgrading.

Please improve this.

Thanks

Gabriel

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1stilmission,

Unfortunately, this is not a quick and simple fix. Each category has been designed with different default form fields, some of which are required for form filling in web-browsers, so there's a fair bit of back-end calculation that will be involved to implement something like drag-and-drop. We have been listening to the feedback from users, and we know there's certainly some room here for improvement with categories. I can't say much more than that right now, but we really appreciate you taking the time to write in here. I'll be sure to add your vote to the feature request :)

• Sunny_Farms
    Sunny_Farms
    Community Member
    Options

Can a category for vehicles be created with VIN, license #, paint color, etc.?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Sunny_Farms.

Can a category for vehicles be created with VIN, license #, paint color, etc.?

Not at the moment. Custom categories/templates are commonly suggested and discussed, and under consideration. A couple of related topics:

• Here (see suggestions in posts #8, #9)
    • Here (see counterargument in post #4)

I hope that's informative and interesting. :)

This discussion has been closed.