Multiple vault support

Options
vim
vim
Community Member

Hi,

I know this has been mentioned a few times but I just wanted to ask when can I expect to have multiple vault support on iOS?

This is such a needed feature and I am really considering Last Pass since they support it. Would really like to hear from AgileBits about when I can expect to have this feature :-)

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vim,

Believe me, you are not alone in being excited about this feature! Believe me, I'm with you. I want multiple vaults on iOS a LOT. Unfortunately, we don't like making promises on unreleased features. There are just too many factors involved here, many of which are beyond our control, and we certainly don't want to give a date and then be unable to live up to it due to unforeseen circumstances.

What I can tell you is we're listening to our users. We know this is an important feature for everyone, and we want to get it out for you all just as soon as possible! We really appreciate your patience as we work to make this feature really awesome.

• vim
    vim
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply Megan. I hope this turns out to be a great New Year's present :-)

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone,
    I'd like to continue with my issue in this thread since it has a lot to do with multiple vaults. First of all, let me say that I feel it's a shame that the software product that is by far the most expensive in this space does release a software on the Mac with features that are not compatible with the iOS version...

Anyway: Megan, in another thread a colleague of you (AGKyle) mentions: "I'd strongly encourage you to disable syncing of both as soon as possible and only have a single sync store or you may have unintended side effects such as merged data." If this is the case, then why is it possible at all to select both iCloud and Dropbox for syncing?? You should then in the iOS version give users an option like "Sync with a) Dropbox OR b) iCloud, but not both.

But to my problem: Yesterday I switched my 1P 3 on the Mac to version 4, and, knowing about the issue that multiple vaults are not supported in iOS I put the vault with the most items in it on the Dropbox folder that was suggested by 1P Mac 4: "/Dropbox/1Password/.agilekeychain

At the same time I moved the old 1Password.agilekeychain on the Dropbox folder root level to somewhere else. But now, the iOS version does not find anything to sync. The reason obviously is that they is no way in the iOS version to tell 1P where the vault lies in the Dropbox folder hierarchy.

So: How do I tell the iOS version where to look for the syncing vault?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jochenneese,

Thanks so much for providing your feedback here.

If this is the case, then why is it possible at all to select both iCloud and Dropbox for syncing?? You should then in the iOS version give users an option like "Sync with a) Dropbox OR b) iCloud, but not both.

When we initially released 1Password 4 for iOS, we had hoped that users would be able to user multiple sync solutions at a time, hence the design of the iOS sync screen. However, we have been hearing from users that enabling multiple sync stores at once can create conflicts, so we've been changing our recommendations. We will be changing the sync settings on the iOS app soon to better reflect Kyle's suggestion, and the sync options as available in the Mac app.

So: How do I tell the iOS version where to look for the syncing vault?

Okay, we're going to have to re-set your sync here to encourage iOS to look for the right vault:

• Disable Dropbox sync on the Mac and your iOS devices.
    • Open a Finder window to Dropbox and delete the 1Password folder and the 1Password.agilekeychain file.
    • Go to Dropbox.com and delete the .ws file in the root folder
    • Re-enable Dropbox sync on the Mac
    • Allow Dropbox to upload the keychain
    • Enable Dropbox sync on your iOS device.

Please let me know if this helps!

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, thanks for following up. When I was searching for causes and solutions, I found an invisible file on Dropbox which obviously tells the iOS version where to look for the vault (i.e. the one and only supported by 1P for iOS). This invisible file named ".ws..." contains only one thing: The path to the Vault. I edited the file to reflect the path to my new vault like "/Dropbox/1Password/(name of vault).agilekeychain. After this the iOS version finds the right vault.

This Procedure is certainly nothing many users are comfortable with (or willing to go through). So some more settings in the iOS app settings (like to be able to indicate the location of the sync-vault within the Dropbox folder hierarchy) would be no luxury at all.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jochenneese,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to sort things out! The instructions I provided would have essentially done the same thing and re-written that file to point to the correct vault, but your way works too. ;)

As mentioned above, we are hoping to be able to bring multiple vault support to iOS soon, and then things will be much simpler for multiple vault users. Thanks so much for your patience here.

This discussion has been closed.