Options besides Dropbox

So. Many. Questions.

1. I only have my wife and I that use 1Password. Do I need a family account? I had an individual account, paid up for a Family account, and I'm not sure if it is worth it. Since upgrading, we've been having issues with syncing, including new passwords and issues with Dropbox.
  2. Dropbox - is that the only option? They are now limiting the number of connected devices, so Dropbox is not allowing our 2 phones, home computer, work computers (running the Chrome extension) to sync. Am I doing something wrong?
  3. My wife's phone is constantly having a pop-up message about Dropbox whenever she opens 1Password. I've authorized it to connect to Dropbox numerous times, and it still pops up.
  4. We are largely an Apple home (phones, home computer), but are PC at work. We would like to be able to use the Chrome extension on all the computers. Is this possible? Is the Chrome extension different than having 1Password installed on the computer? Is that what I should not have on the PCs? Is that what is making Dropbox so difficult?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited July 11

Hi @dgdavis

It sounds like there are a few different things going on so let's see what we can do to get on the same page.

I only have my wife and I that use 1Password. Do I need a family account? I had an individual account, paid up for a Family account, and I'm not sure if it is worth it. Since upgrading, we've been having issues with syncing, including new passwords and issues with Dropbox.

If you and your wife want any sort of separation of your data (e.g. some his, some hers, and only some shared) then you would need 1Password Families. If you don't mind sharing everything and essentially being the same person as far as 1Password is concerned then you can share an individual membership. With the latter arrangement you'd use the same Master Password to unlock 1Password on every device, whereas with separate accounts in 1Password Families you'd each have your own Master Password.

Dropbox - is that the only option? They are now limiting the number of connected devices, so Dropbox is not allowing our 2 phones, home computer, work computers (running the Chrome extension) to sync. Am I doing something wrong?

One of the main points of 1Password membership is to replace Dropbox as your sync service for 1Password data. Nothing related to 1Password should be syncing with Dropbox. So yes, something is wrong if you're still using Dropbox for 1Password.

If you sign in at https://my.1password.com/ do you see all of your 1Password data, or is some of what you see in the app(s) missing from there? How about for your wife? Does she see all of her data when she signs in?

My wife's phone is constantly having a pop-up message about Dropbox whenever she opens 1Password. I've authorized it to connect to Dropbox numerous times, and it still pops up.

Okay. Again, we want to do away with Dropbox completely when using a 1Password membership. Dropbox is no longer needed.

We are largely an Apple home (phones, home computer), but are PC at work. We would like to be able to use the Chrome extension on all the computers. Is this possible? Is the Chrome extension different than having 1Password installed on the computer? Is that what I should not have on the PCs? Is that what is making Dropbox so difficult?

Membership gives you access to use the latest versions of 1Password on all of your compatible devices.

Please let me know what you find with regard to your data being on my.1password.com.

Ben

• J_O_DJ_O_D
    edited July 11

I think that Family account is a subscription-based version synced through cloud servers, while Dropbox is for the standalone version of 1password. Do you have a Primary vault or Personal vault? Or probably both?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

That's correct, @J_O_D; with Primary being Dropbox based (standalone) and Personal being membership based. :)

Ben

• This was very helpful! I have changed my account to individual, deleted the apps, reinstalled them, and everything is working. Should I delete the file that is on Dropbox?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@dgdavis

After making sure you no longer have any data that you want to keep in the Primary vault, and have removed it from the apps, yes, you can delete the file from Dropbox. :)

Ben

• This was very helpful! I have changed my account to individual, deleted the apps, reinstalled them, and everything is working. Should I delete the file that is on Dropbox?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@dgdavis

I'm not sure what happened but it looks like you may have posted the same message twice? :)

Ben

• It did. Everything is working great! Thank you for your assistance!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Glad to hear it, and happy to help. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file