Chrome Extension works fine works fine but the 1passord app and mini won't unlock

Bought a family membership start of august, to try out before trying to convince my family to use it. Haven't enrolled anyone else yet.
To start with no issues but for the last week I cannot log into the 1password app or mini. I just get the red lock image which indicates wrong password I assume.
Bizarrely I can still login to the chrome extension with the master password and have even tried copying the master password from there to try and unlock the app to no avail.
This seems to co-incidentally have happened around the time I've been having some internet issues but I don't believe this should have an impact?
I'm also able to login online no problem. It really does seem to just be the app.
Any thoughts on how to resolve?

1Password Version: 7.3.705
Extension Version: 1.16.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Stompie79: Are you able to sign into the 1Password website successfully, and is all of your data in your account there? I wonder if you have an old local vault setup in the app still. In that case, it wouldn't be your account's Master Password used to unlock the app, but rather the one you setup for the old vault.

• Thanks for the feedback. I am able to sign into the 1password website fine and it definitely is up to date. I just added a new password tonight in the chrome extension and it's there on the website now. I'm a new user since the start of August so don't have an old master password to use. Keep the ideas coming though.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Stompie79: Thanks for letting me know! That helps a lot. Since all of your data is in your 1Password account, just make sure you have your Emergency Kit too, and then you can reset the app on your PC (1Password Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data), and finally sign into your account to set it up. Let me know how it goes. :)

• Bearing in mind I'm still a noob to this I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "you can reset the app on your PC (1Password Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data)". Are you meaning in the app? As mentioned in the OP I can't get into the app at this point that's why I'm posting. Just the website and the chrome extension. I googled your recommendation and found https://support.1password.com/starting-over/
    Does this wipe everything from the website, the extension and the app? I've got over 20 login and passwords saved at the moment while I'm trailing this password manager. Should I be exporting them for re-import after the reset or of I follow the instructions at that website is it just going to reset the app which is the problem? I don't really want to loose what I've already been bringing into 1password.
    Is the forum the best place for me to be doing this or is email better?

Thanks

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Stompie79:

Are you meaning in the app? As mentioned in the OP I can't get into the app at this point that's why I'm posting.

You can start over in the app without unlocking it.

Does this wipe everything from the website, the extension and the app?

It only wipes everything from the app. Your 1Password data that is stored in your 1Password account is not touched.

Should I be exporting them for re-import after the reset or of I follow the instructions at that website is it just going to reset the app which is the problem?

You just need to reset the app and keep your Emergency Kit ready. After you have reset the app, you can add your 1Password account to the app again, using the information from your Emergency Kit.

Is the forum the best place for me to be doing this or is email better?

Whichever you prefer. We can continue the discussion here and move it to email in case we need to share personal information. So far, this has not been necessary (and to reset the app, it rarely is) so we can continue here for now :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file