Feature Request: Add new form fields when creating a manual login

Options
Dave544
Dave544
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

There are a few sites that I use that not only require a username and password but also require an email address, or a PIN, last name, etc. So its a multi-field login on a single page and I have two sites that I use that do this. The first is https://www.1098t.com/access/login.asp and the login screen looks like this:

This page is well coded and I was prompted to save the login, everything is happy. The 2nd page is for my local YMCA and when you login with your information you are NOT prompted to save your login by 1Password. To get to the login section go to http://ssymca.org/programs/class-schedules/ and click register for Emilson Programs > Login. The login screen looks like this:

Its kludgey, there is no way directly link to the login screen so I have no doubt the issue is with the YMCA. But we all have these kinds of sites in our lives somewhere so I attempted to put in a manual login by grabbing the form field names from the page source. That is when I discovered that 1Password only lets you put in username and password and as near as I can tell there is no way to add additional form fields as part of the login process. It's a known issue and saw it confirmed here:

"It is not possible to add new fields to the Web Form Details. Web Form Details is used by the extensions to fill in your data on the Login form. If you'd like to add more fields that are not related to the filling, you should use the custom fields instead."
discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16064/known-issues-in-1password-4-for-mac

It would be supremely helpful if we were allowed to manually enter web form details for the annoying sites that people can't seem to code right. But in the meantime if you have a multi-field login in your vault that is behaving correctly I have a workaround.

As I said earlier my 1098-T login was saved and that used multiple fields. So I took a look at the web form details in 1Password:

I noticed that not only could I edit the saved data, but I could edit the field name itself. Huh, what would happen if I just duplicated the login for 1098T and tried to put in my info for the YMCA? The answer is it works like a champ!

This will ONLY work if you already have a multi-field login that was already in your vault but I wanted to post it here in case anyone else was banging their head against the wall on this issue.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dave544,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed report! I'm sorry that you had to go through such a process, but I'm glad to hear that you managed to get a working Login.

The discussion about giving users the ability to add web form details is certainly not new. For most cases though, you really should not need to add more web form details: manually saving a new Login should update any missing or changed web form details. Try this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

Using these steps, 1Password saved all of the correct web form details. :)

• Dave544
    Dave544
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, I tried going through your steps but when I press "Save new login" nothing happens. There is no prompt to save, generate a title, etc. The YMCA page has Javascript errors and the HTML code is not valid. So I'm not shocked that its not working entirely right.

• Dave544
    Dave544
    Community Member
    Options

Correction, nothing happens in Firefox 26. I used Chrome and Safari to walk through the steps above and was able to save the form data walking though the steps you described.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dave544,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get it working eventually! We are currently tracking a bug where 1Password doesn't always give you the option to manually save a new Login if the details you are trying to save already exist in 1Password. It sounds to me like you may have run into that one in Firefox. This process should work for most sites where an existing Login stops working.

• aca828
    aca828
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Megan, I seem to have the a similar challenge with one of my logins.

On this page there are two fields - one for email address and the second for zip code. When I saved the first login, it auto populated both the email and zip code fields with the email address. When I examined the 1Password login, the zip code value displayed in the web form details panel but without a label.

I added an additional field (new field under Section) for the zip code, saved and tested but no luck. I then added a new field in the Show Web Form Details panel and included the page field name + value and still no luck.

I followed your suggestion and created a new 1Password login with both fields entered and saved before submitting the form. No change as both fields are populated with the email value.

I am using Chrome Version 33.0.1750.146 and 1Password Version 4.1.3 (413002).

Is this a bug or alternate steps to get this form to work?

Thanks, Bob.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Bob ( @aca828 ),

I'm sorry you're trouble getting a working Login item for that page. Can you post its URL and/or redacted images of Show web form details for your item so we can take a closer look at why it's failing? Which version of the 1Password extension for Chrome are you using?

I added an additional field (new field under Section) for the zip code, saved and tested but no luck.

Custom fields are ignored when filling.

I then added a new field in the Show Web Form Details panel and included the page field name + value and still no luck.

It's not currently possible to add new fields there so I'm curious how you did that. :)

From Known Issues in 1Password 4 for Mac:

• It is not possible to add new fields to the Web Form Details. Web Form Details is used by the extensions to fill in your data on the Login form. If you'd like to add more fields that are not related to the filling, you should use the custom fields instead.

Thanks in advance for the additional information!

• JGailor
    JGailor
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for being able to edit web form fields. Amazon AWS just added the account field to their webform and I can not get 1Password to store it. I'm annoyed because instead of spending 1 - 2 minutes just going to the entry and adding an "account" field and filling in the value, I had to spend a lot more time twiddling with things and trying to make it work, which it ended up not working anyway.

This feels like a pretty basic feature and falls under "doesn't work as expected" tab of issues.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Like mentioned here, there is no easy way to manually add fields to web form details at the moment (though there is a workaround), but saving a new login for the site will usually get it working. Please see these instructions for details:

Saving a new Login manually

• DoctorE
    DoctorE
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hmm I tried the manual save new login solution but it's always missing some fields (namely a dropdown with the timezone). How can I add this field manually?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DoctorE,

Which page (URL) are you manually saving a Login item on that ends up with missing fields? Did you try adding fields to web form details using the workaround linked to in @JasperP's post #9? Also, which web browser, and versions of 1Password and the browser extension, are you using? Thanks!

• DoctorE
    DoctorE
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

@sjk, I unfortunately can't send the URL as it's behind a firewall but I can email you guys the form code. I'm using the 1password 4.3 430014 Mac App Store with Chrome Version 34.0.1847.116 on OSX 10.9.2
    I have tried the manual saving but it doesn't pick up the timezone dropdown in question.

And to try @Dave544 's trick, I can't even find a saved login that contains an additional form variable besides the username and password. If you can suggest a website that has this which I could manually save then edit to make it the intended website, I could try it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @DoctorE.

You didn't mention which version of the 1Password extension for Chrome you're using, but changes in the beta version might help. If you'd like to give that a try, open the 1Password Extension page in Chrome, then select Enable betas before clicking the big green Install button. With Chrome, make sure it's the only extension enabled on the chrome://extensions page. And it's pretty easy to disable/remove the beta if it's troublesome and reenable/reinstall the non-beta. :)

I was referring to @JasperP's workaround for adding fields in web form details, which can start with any Login item.

If none of that's helpful and you'd like to send us the form code you can email it, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. Thanks!

• zippy_monster
    zippy_monster
    Community Member
    Options

This is an issue for me as well. I'm trying to manually add a login for an AWS portal (there are three fields: account, username, and password). While I can use our account specific link, which will populate the account field... 1Password clobbers the account field, and won't let me manually specify a value.

Regardless of the ideal workflow, users should be allowed to add form fields (they can already edit or remove them...), especially when trying to save a login manually.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @zippy_monster,

Are you trying to save a new Login item that fills at least a different Account field value than one you're using that's causing this behavior?

While I can use our account specific link, which will populate the account field... 1Password clobbers the account field, and won't let me manually specify a value.

What happens if you select Save new Login under 1Password mini's gear (or vault) icon after entering preferred data in each field on an Amazon Web Services Sign-In page?

An item with an account field under web form details should be created:

Then you can duplicate that item and change field values to get additional items that fill the page fields differently. Any item that correctly fills each field can be used as a template for creating variations of that item.

If you'd like to manually enter certain information after filling and before submitting, edit the item and you'll find a submit option that can be changed to Never submit:

For example, maybe you want a certain item to fill with an empty Account field (by removing its account web form field) on the AWS Sign-In page so it can be manually entered.

I hope that's helpful.

… users should be allowed to add form fields (they can already edit or remove them...) …

Your request-vote for it has been noted; thanks!

• robacarp
    robacarp
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to +1 on this feature request. I find I want this feature about once every two weeks.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! Your vote has been added. :)

• jmagnusson
    jmagnusson
    Community Member
    Options

Customizable web form fields would be a great addition IMO.

This discussion has been closed.