Login items vs Password items

Options
mclovin
mclovin
Community Member

For some web sites I have a login item and a password item. Do I need both?

I've deleted some password items and kept only the login item because the login item has the password and it doesn't seem to have caused a problem yet.

Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The Passwords category stores passwords you have generated but which you didn't specifically save to a login item. You can clear out redundant passwords from the Passwords category by right clicking on that category and electing to delete redundant passwords. I hope that helps to clarify the position a little.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mclovin,

1Password will store all generated passwords in the 'Passwords' category until they are properly saved into Logins. This is a security feature to ensure that you don't generate an awesomely strong password and then lose track of it. :) Once that password is saved in a Login though, you certainly don't need to keep it in the Passwords category.

Try going to Help > Tools > Remove Redundantly Generated Passwords to get rid of most of these excess passwords. You can also do some extra cleaning by using the 'Security Audit' feature (in the menu bar, below Folders and Tags). The Duplicate Passwords option will help you sort through any remaining duplicates.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mclovin,

In addition to the helpful information from @Stephen_C and @Megan, there are also these blog articles about Remove Redundant Generated Passwords and Security Audio usage:

1Password for Mac Tip: One-click to tidy up your vault

Time to give 1Password 4 for Mac’s Security Audit a whirl

• mclovin
    mclovin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you all! I would have responded sooner but apparently I didn't have notifications set for this thread. Really appreciate the help!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @mclovin.

Forum Notification Preferences can be adjusted as described: here. But you probably already know that now. :)

This discussion has been closed.