How To: Use the 1Password 4 extension in both Mac and Windows

Options
AndrewDicks
AndrewDicks
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Lounge

I recently (less than 14 days ago) bought 1Password for cross-platform password sync.

However, the Chrome bug in Windows, which I've only just discovered, means it is not fit for purpose. Disabling Chrome extension sync is not an option.

1Password looked really good... but it's not worth $70 if there's no Windows support. There's been no development of the Chrome plugin for 8 months.

Please can someone tell me how I get a refund?

For background on this bug and how long it has existed:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16616/the-1password-4-browser-extension-is-not-compatible-with-windows

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Have you tried the beta version of 1Password for Windows?

https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

It gets updated often and uses the same version 4 extension as 1Password for Mac.

If you rather would get a refund, you should contact them directly:

https://agilebits.com/home/money_back_guarantee

But I think you should give the beta a chance :)

• AndrewDicks
    AndrewDicks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, Xe997. I really like the software on a Mac, and would be happy to try Windows... but does the beta program fix the Chrome Extension issue?

That is such a blocking issue for me that I've not even had a chance to try the Windows software - i.e. finally got back to my home Windows system to see the Chrome error message - which then prevented me trying anything else.

It is, unfortunately, entirely impractical for me to disable the Chrome > Sync Extensions option due to the nature of my work. Therefore if 1Password4 doesn't work with Chrome on Windows, then it's no use to me.

Any info you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

• AndrewDicks
    AndrewDicks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the money back link too, by the way! I was naively looking for a Contact Us link...

Don't worry - I won't request a refund until I've found out more about the beta :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Yes, syncing of extensions should work if you're using 1Password 4 on both Windows and OS X, because they are using the same extension.

EDIT: I enabled Chrome sync on my Mac (Mavericks) and Windows PC (Windows 7). Installed latest stable Chrome extension (version 4.2.0.90) on Mavericks and it showed up on Chrome in Windows, and it is working correctly, no error message.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AndrewDicks‌,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. If it weren't for these different time zones I suspect I would have been able to reply sooner, but I'm glad @Xe997‌ was able to point you in the right direction. As he mentioned, the 1Password 4 extension requires 1Password 4, but 1Password for Windows is not yet on version 4. If you continued to use the current stable version of 1Password for Windows you’d need to disable extension syncing and use the version 3 extension in Windows, and version 4 extension on Mac. We wish there was a way to simplify the situation, but Chrome doesn’t provide selective sync for extensions or more options for detecting the platform an extension is running on. :(

As @Xe997‌ also mentioned, though, you may be interested in 1Password 4 for Windows beta which resolves this since it works with the very same version 4 of the extension. :)

Once you confirm your subscription to the 1Password 4 for Windows beta, you will receive a link to download it. We look forward to your feedback in the 1Password for Windows Beta category here on the forum.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• AndrewDicks
    AndrewDicks
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Well, that's very welcome news! I'm signed up to the beta program now.

Thanks for the prompt feedback, and thanks to @Xe997 for pointing me in the right direction.

It's very gratifying to receive this kind of support - both corporate and community.

Looking forward to getting the beta up and running.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy to help! Keep us posted if you have any other questions or concerns. Have a wonderful [almost] weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.