Remove/customize keyboard shortcuts not possible? 1Password prevents accented letters.

Options

I have tried googling for how to change the keyboard shortcuts in 1Password 4 for Windows, but I always just end up with the page for the Mac version. That would be fine, if only the same items were available on Windows!

Unfortunately there is no keyboard section in "Preferences -> General" on Windows, and so I am stuck. The problem is simply that the keyboard shortcut selected by 1Password actually has a function when using a Norwegian keyboard layout. AltGr + \ is supposed to give me an acute accent (fr: accent aigu), but I am now unable to use the accent due to 1Password hijacking the shortcut.

Comments

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

I found a thread from July on a similar note (AltGr + Backslash key brings up dialog), but no solution.

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Ooh, nevermind, the proposed solution did in fact fix things, but it was explained too briefly so that it was unclear what it was actually doing.

This is what changing the key combo does (IMHO):

1. The usual key combo is Ctrl + backslash.
    2. Since AltGr equals pressing Ctrl and Alt together, the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+backslash was triggered by simply pressing AltGr+backslash.
    3. By changing it to Ctrl + 3 (the pound/hash key in a Norwegian keyboard layout), all other keyboard shortcuts in 1Password involving Ctrl+backslash now instead uses Ctrl + 3.
    4. The new keyboard shortcuts are therefore Ctrl+3, Ctrl+Alt+3, etc.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do you not need to press the Shift key to "convert" the 3 to a number sign (#)?

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

That's true, in that way, no number sign is involved, just the number three. Sorry for causing confusion about that :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem, @fatso83‌.

Can you let us know whether there's still a problem?

If not, is there anything we could make clearer in the user's guide article about Using keyboard shortcuts?

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

No, changing the keyboard combo to something that was not taken fixed things. It actually turns out that Ctrl+3 might not have been such a good choice, as AltGr+3 is a shortcut for "£". Any other key that has no AltGr combination will work though, such as "1" or "+?"-key (right of 0 on a Norwegian keyboard).

The user guide could definitively use some improvement though, as there is absolutely no mention of this problem at all in the Windows section. The Mac help pages cover it, but as mentioned above, the configuration is in another place in the Windows version of the software. In general the Mac version seems better/more fully documented than its Windows sibling.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Would it be useful to say, specifically, that you shouldn't choose a shortcut that you might want to type in a browser for some other purpose?

(I'm thinking Ctrl+Alt+Del would be a bad choice, too. :) )

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

That seems ok, but I think there should exist a section called International keyboard layouts or similar where all of this could be covered. Of course, even better would be that 1Password detected your locale at startup, checked for common conflicts (such as it preventing typing certain keys) and asked if you preferred localized keyboard shortcuts that were customized for your keyboard layout.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @fatso83‌!

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

No worries :)

This discussion has been closed.