Dropbox sync not always syncing changes

Options
Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: iCloud sync not working between Mac and iOS.

Comments

• swilson
    swilson
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

My wife and I both use 1Password, purchased it through iTunes App Store and downloaded to 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and 2 iPods. We also purchased the Mac version of 1Password and loaded it on two Macbook Airs. We are sharing the 1Password data through Dropbox, with all iOS devices and both MBAirs signed into Dropbox using the same userID and password. Both of us use the same master password to sign into 1Password. I have only one vault, the default created during installation.

The issue is that sometimes changes made on one device show up on some devices but not on at least one the others. This seems an intermittent occurrence, unrelated to which device is used to make the change, and unrelated to whether or not the change propagates to all devices. However I don't know any of that for sure. All I do know for sure is that sometimes one of us makes a change -- an edit to a record or adding a new record -- and it doesn't show up on another device we look at later. I don't know if it eventually shows up on all devices or not. I don't know if the change is made only on one of the Macs or only on IOS devices.

This is a very serious issue since it makes us question everything about 1Password. We are trying to use it for an extremely important aspect of our lives, but we never know if everything is right. I have one such occurrence right now: a Login I created isn't showing up on one iPhone, but it is on everything else. I don't know how to force a sync. I can access the files directly with Finder or by starting the Dropbox app.

Most of the time an update propagates everywhere, sometimes it misses a device, maybe several.

If this is happening to me it may be happening to lots of users. I know that the 1Password release notes of an update several weeks ago said it addressed a bug causing issues like this. I am using the current versions of Dropbox, 1Password, iOS 8, OS X Yosemite, etc. On both the Mac App Store and iTunes Store I check for updates every morning, and download and apply any that are found.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @swilson,

I've moved your comment from the thread discussing iCloud into a separate thread, since you're using Dropbox and your solution will likely be different than any solution for iCloud users.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping things synced up lately. I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• reverb09
    reverb09
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having problems with Dropbox sync. I have 1PW5 on my Mac (running 10.10), and on my iPhone (running 8.1.1). I followed the steps you outlined, and my changes on iOS are showing up on the web, but not on my Mac. Changes on my Mac are not showing up anywhere else. I'm running Dropox 1.6.2.

• reverb09
    reverb09
    Community Member
    Options

I realized my Dropbox version was pretty out of date. I updated and let it synch for a while, and it seems ok now.

• Hi @reverb09,

I'm glad to hear updating your Dropbox app fixed things! If you have any other trouble, please let us know and we can investigate. :)

This discussion has been closed.