Problems getting iCloud sync to work [requires Mac App Store version]

Options
Stephen_C
Stephen_C
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Once again, iOS isn't syncing via iCloud.

Comments

• JetForMe
    JetForMe
    Community Member
    Options

iCloud sync does not appear to work. I have a new Mac. I installed 1password 4 on it (because I don't own 5 and don't want to pay again). I got 4 from my laptop. I had installed 5 from the website by mistake and it created a new vault. 5 from the website can't iCloud sync. So I got 4.

But now 4 on the new mac, despite enabling iCLoud sync, is empty. I can't get it to load from the existing icloud thing.

To me, this means iCloud syncing is still broken. I can't figure out hwo to get it to find the existing data, nor can I figure out how to delete everything on the new mac and try starting again (I'm not hopeful that will work, anyway).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@JetForMe I have moved your post from the 1Password for iOS forum to the 1P for Mac forum where you will get more help.

I installed 1password 4 on it (because I don't own 5 and don't want to pay again)

You don't have to pay again: 1P5 is a free upgrade from 1P4.

I think the best place to start is with this knowledge base article:

iCloud FAQs (iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite)

Take a look at that and do then please post again if you have more questions.

Stephen

• JetForMe
    JetForMe
    Community Member
    Options

The App Store wants to charge me $35 to download 1Password 5.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm guessing that's because you didn't buy 1P4 from the Mac App Store but from the AgileBits store. Unfortunately, there's no way AgileBits can transfer the benefit of their licence to the Mac App Store version: Apple does not allow that. (Of course, if you did buy 1P4 from the Mac App Store you should be able to download 1P5 without further payment. Let us know if you did that and someone will try to help you with other ideas.)

While I appreciate you may have some special need to use iCloud to sync there are other options: Dropbox (which many people use happily, including many of the AgileBits staff) and wifi (which I use without problem). Both versions of 1P support those sync methods.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JetForMe: Ah yes. Sorry for the confusion! I see you purchased 1Password 4 from the AgileBits Store. While 1Password 5 is a free upgrade, the Mac App Store is completely separate, as it is owned and operated by Apple.

In order to use iCloud Sync, you (and any apps!) need to be using the iOS and Mac App Stores; so the only way for you to use iCloud Sync in 1Password on your Mac (it needs to be able to access the data from your iOS device, after all!) is to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store. That's the bad news.

The good news is that it's on sale right now (limited time).

The even gooder news (that won't cost you a dime) is that you don't need iCloud (or MAS) to sync your 1Password data; you can use Dropbox or Wi-Fi Sync!

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• JetForMe
    JetForMe
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to avoid dropbox. It's catch-22. Setting up dropbox without 1password is hard (long password).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JetForMe: Understood. Unfortunately you'd run into the same issue logging into iCloud on a new device in order to get 1Password sync'd initially...to get your passwords. :dizzy:

For this reason, Dropbox, iCloud (Apple ID), and 1Password are the ones I need to have memorized as well. Until we develop 1Password Neural Implants™ we're going to be stuck with this particular dilemma, I'm afraid. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.