Generated Passwords don't prompt to save login. [Confirmed bug, will fix soon]

Options
dgtlcopywrite
dgtlcopywrite
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I use 1Password to generate a new random password on Chrome in Windows 10, 1Password never asks to save a new login. This seems to affect all sites I've used on Windows since buying my most recent 1Password for Windows license. These sites will allow 1Password to ask to create a new login on the subsequent logins, but not when the password is first generated, which is enormously inconvenient since it's not saving the username I've entered along with it, not to mention the potential for URL-matching woes.

Separately, but slightly related, the Mac function of 'Convert to Login' for generated passwords is sorely missed because of this, and something I have to use quite regularly even on the far better Mac OS experience.

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:autosave-did-not-appear, kb:report-website, kb:autosave-did-not-appear

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dgtlcopywrite: You're exactly right. Currently there's a bug which prevents Autosave from coming up as it should when filling a generated password. I'm sorry for the trouble this has caused. We'll get this fixed. :(

On a slightly more positive note, thanks for your interest in the 'convert to login' feature! I appreciate that it's presence would be especially appreciated under the circumstances. We may be able to add this to 1Password for Windows in a future update.

ref: OPX-1049

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member
    Options

On a similar note, I've run across the following workflow headache several times, and it's driving me nuts:
    1. While filling out a sign-up form on a website, use the 1password submenu to generate a password: right-click >> 1password >> generate password
    2. Complete the webform, submit, and realize that because it was an awkward process, 1password didn't ask me to save the login info (or the info it saved was not actually the login info)
    3. Open 1password and proceed to manually create a Login entry
    3. Yell obscenities as I realize there is no way to retrieve the last generated password inside the manual create-login dialog/process, i.e. New Item >> Login. In fact, there is no way to retrieve it, since the only place it can be found is in the aforementioned right-click sub-menu, but that function will only insert the password into a password field in a web form, so I can't read it, copy it, etc. Extremely frustrating.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aeu2357: You're absolutely right to feel that way. This is our fault and there's no way around it. Autosave is working everywhere but the one place you need it most in that situation, and I'm sorry that we've let you down. We're going to get this fixed in an update, but more importantly we'll test it throughly to make sure we don't break anything else in the process. Thanks for keeping us honest.

• aeu2357
    aeu2357
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, @brenty -- I look forward to the next version of this (otherwise) excellent software

• You're most welcome.

Hey, if you have more feedback, never hesitate to send it to us!

• stpeteford
    stpeteford
    Community Member
    Options

Has this bug been fixed yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stpeteford: There hasn't been an update in the last 24 hours, so no. We're testing a fix, but I can't give a time frame on when it might be available. Thanks for asking! :)

• Cori
    Cori
    Community Member
    Options

For the record, this doesn't work on Mac either. I'm using OSX 10.10.5

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cori: Indeed. Sorry for the inconvenience! Since this is an extension issue, it unfortunately affects both platforms. But we have a fix in the works for each. Keep an eye out for updates! :)

• Jeff_L
    Jeff_L
    Community Member
    Options

I ran into an issue where I created a login in the desktop client, filled in the username, password was generated, but when I went back to the client, it was not saved. Is this the same issue? Thanks, Jeff

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jeff_L: Unfortunately that's the one. I'm sorry this is affecting you as well. Hopefully we'll have a fix for this soon.

• Hi guys,

We have the fix already in our latest betas for both the Windows program and the extension, our beta testers have confirmed that it is working as expected. There are some fixes we're still working through but once the betas are solid, we'll push it to the stable channel for everyone to download.

You can help us test it if you want, here's my post with the instructions to install the betas.

This discussion has been closed.