I am getting the error "1password failed to connect to 1passwork mini".

Options
mbittinger
mbittinger
Community Member

I am getting the above error. I have tried all the fixes listing on your website. I have used the 1password5 trouble shooting app which did not work. What am I to do next?
Additionally, when 1password was working, when booted up the icons in the program began flashing on and off and program functioned erratically. I have already deleted and reinstalled the program.
Thank you

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mbittinger,

I'm sorry you're getting that error when trying to open 1Password!

It sounds like you tried following the steps in the following knowledgebase article, but just in case, please take a look here: Troubleshooting “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini”

If that doesn't help, you can try these steps, which are a slight variation of some of the steps from the above article:

• Go to the Applications folder and drag 1Password 5.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    • Empty the Trash, then reboot your Mac.
    • After the reboot, download a fresh copy of 1Password 5 (if you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, get it from our download site)
    • Once downloaded, unzip the file if necessary and drag it to the Applications folder.
    • Double-click the new app to open it.

If that still doesn't solve the problem, make sure you've also checked for extra copies of the 1Password app: How to remove multiple, conflicting copies of 1Password from your system

Does that help at all? If not, please let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• snorky
    snorky
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1password 4 and I had bought a (previously unused) license for version 5. Now that I am under 10.11, I would like to upgrade to version 5. The sparkle mechanism does upgrade to version 5, but the app cannot find 1pwd mini and refuses to run. I think you have a serious problem with your update mechanism. For the time being I have reverted to version 4, which works, thank god!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @snorky,

Have you looked through the troubleshooting steps that Drew linked to above? We'd be happy to work with you to get this issue sorted out. If the steps in the guide do not help, please let us know what you're seeing and we'll start from there. :)

• loginx
    loginx
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth, I'm also affected by the same issue. 1Password updated itself automatically a few weeks ago, and even after following all the support steps in the KB article, I'm still unable to run the app.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@loginx you've not told us exactly what version of 1P you're running or, critically, your OS X version number. However, if you're on OS X El Capitan take a look at this AgileBits post and see if it helps.

Stephen

• loginx
    loginx
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C I hadn't noticed that post, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm indeed running El Capitan, and the fix in that post did resolve the issue for me, thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @loginx,

I'm so glad to see that the post that Stephen mentioned got things resolved for you - thanks for letting us know!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

• snorky
    snorky
    Community Member
    Options

I have the latest El Capitan and trying to migrate from 1P 4 to 1P 5. I have deleted all the old files, rebooted, tried the terminal fix pointed by Stephen_C, and 1P 5 still cannot find 1P mini. Why don't you provide a pkg or mpkg installer for 1 Password 5?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@snorky: Because 1Password doesn't need an installer. It's a single app bundle that you simply drag to your Applications folder — no installation required. Getting 1Password installed isn't the problem. Quite the contrary! It's having too many copies of it, because it's too easy! :lol:

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• snorky
    snorky
    Community Member
    Options

It appears that the problem has been solved by opening the 1P5 app package and opening the 1PW mini by hand

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @snorky,

I'm glad to hear that you've managed to get things sorted out!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.