Sync multiple vaults via iCloud

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Multiple Vault Sync.

Comments

• ZeoSonE
    ZeoSonE
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Why I can't sync my both vaults over iCloud?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ZeoSonE,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. We have not implemented multiple vault syncing for iCloud at this point. One of the primary reasons is that most people use multiple vaults so that they can share one or more of them. iCloud does not support sharing.

We are still considering implementing multiple vault sync with iCloud but we do not have any definite plans at this point.

Sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for!

Ben

• alexanderbuck
    alexanderbuck
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi Woodruff,

Regarding ZioSonE's is post:

I have two vaults:

• Primary
    • Archive

Primary is for currently active content.

Archive is for items that are no longer actively used.

I do not have a need to share an entire vault per se. If I or one of my clients had that requirement, I would move them to 1Password for Teams / Family, depending on the situation.

As an independent IT Consultant one of the things I push strongly for is a Password Manager or Digital Wallet. 9/10 times I recommend 1Password. Sometimes there is an exception when dealing with a multi-platform environment. [Tangent: it would be nice if AgileBits had way of allowing users to let you know when someone has recommended the product. Not looking for freebies, just want you to know a lot of us out here are spreading the word.]

I work primarily with small-medium businesses and home office users. When implementing 1Password near the beginning of an IT Project, I often share several passwords with the primary client representative. Part of the reason is to show them the 'password sharing' feature. At the end of the project, I archive these passwords, or have the client stop sharing with me.

In addition, I archive passwords for businesses/institutions/individuals for which I no longer have an active relationship with; or people/places/things I no longer want to randomly see when I browse my digital wallet for a particular item, as it may bring up an unpleasant memory. All of these things I MOVE to my 1Password Archive vault.

On certain rare occasions, I may need to retrieve something from the archive; something I consider obsolete. It may be a credit card number that is now closed, an old address, etc. Sure, I can wait till I get home and follow-up then, but that's not convenient if I've been standing in a line and am dealing with someone who needs that info in the moment.

I get that I could sync my archive vault using Dropbox, but I am LOATH to do that for security reasons. I believe it is more secure to sync all vaults using the same syncing service, and it should be iCloud for those dedicated to the Mac platform.

So that's why allowing synching for more than one vault would be very helpful to me. Even if it were only two vaults that would work. I respect AgileBits decision and understand there is no plan to implement this at this time...for business and security reasons.

Thanks for reading...and for a great product!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, and for sharing your detailed use case, @alexanderbuck!

Honestly it sounds like a Teams account, with guest accounts for your clients, would be a perfect fit for your workflow. But I understand not everyone wants to move to a subscription service.

iCloud isn't inherently any more secure than Dropbox when it comes to 1Password data. In either case (iCloud or Dropbox) your data is encrypted on your device prior to being sent to the sync provider.

Currently our primary focus is on Teams & Families, but it is possible we'll re-visit iCloud syncing down the road. I just don't want to give anyone false hope that this would be coming in the near future.

If you haven't already I'd highly recommend reading this article if you are sharing individual items vs vaults:

Is item and vault sharing safe?

It is always a matter of finding balance between security and convenience. Sharing individual items is super convenient, but not necessarily very secure (unless additional steps are taken). Sharing a vault is very secure, but takes a little more work.

I'd love to see us do some sort of referal program. We certainly appreciate all of the 1Password evangalists out there, and it would be nice even just to know internally who some of those folks are.

Thanks!

Ben

• alexanderbuck
    alexanderbuck
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks for your prompt reply, Ben!

I will be implementing Teams and Families in the (near?) future for sure.

For now, I will sync my Archive vault via Dropbox. The Primary is still on iCloud.

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome, @alexanderbuck! Glad to hear in the mean time that will work for you. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.