Secure Notes - Formatting Text (asking again)

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Would it be possible for some basic formatting of secure notes to be enabled in the 1P application? ... even something as basic as bold, underline, italic, font size, and perhaps bullet and numbered lists would be helpful.

Appreciate that this has been requested before, such as here (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/75937) and here ( https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/27488/secure-notes-formatting-text#latest ) and I have raised it a few times over the years prior in emails with Agile folk. and have each time been told it will be considered.

Is this really that hard to do?

1Password Version: 6.01
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @toasted,

"Is this really that hard to do?" The answer here is "nope." The problem is that my definition of what text formatting we should do doesn't necessarily match what you've got in mind, or what the developers on the other platforms of 1Password think we should do. We all think that having some kind of formatting would be very beneficial. We've also all agreed that no platform should go ahead and build it until we can take the time to sit down and come to a consensus of what this really means. For example... is it pure text for editing, and formatted Markdown for viewing? Markdown is popular amongst the more technical of people (I love it!), but is Markdown really the way to go for the average person? Maybe it should be rich text editing and rich text viewing. Maybe it should be a toggle between rich and standard text. There's so many different options, all of which have merit. And this is a feature that we think is critical that we have implemented in the same way across all of our apps.

Rick

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply @rickfillion.

I reckon its disappointing that nothing has been implemented (basic bold, underline would be of help) while contemplating grander schemes of markdown etc. Its been asked about since 2010 on these forums https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/2698/feature-request-rich-text-in-notes (and before in emails) and as you say it aint that hard to do.

Ah well.

• @toasted All the same, what formatting interface/option would you prefer? A visual editor, Markdown, or a hybrid? I'd be happy to note your feedback. The most popular request is Markdown.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@penderworth, even something as basic as bold, underline, italic would be good .......or go crazy and add font size, and perhaps bullet and numbered lists too.

Many folk have request Markdown in previous entries in your forum. Wikipedia says that "There is no clearly defined Markdown standard, apart from the original writeup and implementation by John Gruber, which some consider abandonware......This has led to fragmentation as different vendors write their own variants of the language to correct flaws or add missing features." Its most recent release is Dec 2004. I don't know if Wikipedia is correct but, as a initial suggestion.... it doesn't sound too good to me.

I appreciate as @rickfillion says "this is a feature that we think is critical that we have implemented in the same way across all of our apps." but i suggest that since the level of formatting available now is nothing, providing something, even as an initial capability (version 0.1 of secure notes text formatting capability?) , might be worth the effort. And in the way of most (all?) software development, future releases could add additional capabilities without a total re-write if thats what agile bits think is needed.

• @toasted : I see where you're coming from. I don't think it's quite that simple though. You don't go from plain text to formatted text without pretty major decisions/changes. I have no intentions of re-inventing the wheel for something like this, so we have to pick an established horse to jump on. Maybe that's markdown, which has the advantage of being readable as plain text as well. Maybe it's RTF, which would allow for the greatest flexibility, and be dead easy to do on Mac (but probably a real pain on something like Android). Maybe it's something entirely different. We need to choose a format and not invent one ourselves.

All this to say... we agree with all of you! Formatted text in Secure Notes would be great, and I think all of us within the company would love to see it added as well. We hope to be able to get to it eventually.

Rick

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, well, I won't hold my breath.

• :)

This discussion has been closed.