New install of El Capitan & 1Password6 giving the following error

Options
tinawalt
tinawalt
Community Member

When I launch 1Password6, the following error comes up (also, see attached file):

(https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/cy/5u5u5cyb85x8.png "")
The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini.
Instead of '/Applications/1Password 6.app/Contents/LoginItems' it started '~/Downloads/1Password 6.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems'.

i have uninstalled 1Password6 and made sure that multiple versions on NOT on my system. I downloaded: https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-6.0.2.zip,
uncompressed and reinstalled
i get the error listed above

i dismiss the error and 1Password6 connects to my Dropbox repository WITHOUT prompting me for my password.

Whats up????

--WLL

1Password Version: 6.0.2 (602004)
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tinawalt,

I'm sorry you're getting that error when opening 1Password! Thank you for including the screenshot of the error, it's extremely helpful for us. :)

This problem is actually due to a strange issue in Yosemite and El Capitan which causes the operating system to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini when it finds multiple copies of the 1Password app. According to the error message you included, you have two different copies of the 1Password 6.app file on your Mac: One copy is in the Applications folder, and another copy is in your Downloads folder.

To solve the problem, simply delete the 1Password 6.app file from your Downloads folder by dragging it to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning utilities to do that), then empty the Trash. If it won't let you empty the Trash, please restart your Mac and try again to empty it. That should take care of the problem.

i dismiss the error and 1Password6 connects to my Dropbox repository WITHOUT prompting me for my password.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about connecting to Dropbox. Can you elaborate on that? What exactly do you see happen after dismissing the error message? If my steps above helped to solve the problem with that error, does that also solve the problem with Dropbox?

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• MichaelDurio
    MichaelDurio
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm having this issue when external drives with complete OS X system installations are connected to my MacBook Pro. I'm not sure why 1Password is checking external drives for 1Password installations.

When I'm booted off of any given drive, the version/installation of 1Password on any other attached drives should be none of 1Password's business. . .or at least not generating the histrionic warning I currently see. It makes way too much of an inconsequential issue. It's entirely different from 1P checking for multiple versions of itself on the boot drive or any single external drive I've booted from.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@MichaelDurio:

I'm not sure why 1Password is checking external drives for 1Password installations.

That's exactly the problem: it isn't. The OS X service launchd is doing the searching—not 1Password. If you want further technical details I suggest you read this AgileBits' post and the post to which it links.

It's entirely different from 1P checking for multiple versions of itself on the boot drive or any single external drive I've booted from.

Sadly, it's not.

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Stephen is right.

Assuming you are using a cloning program, there are several solutions.

1. Exclude the 1PW app from cloning. The data will still be copied. You could always keep a zipped copy of 1PW if you expect to use 1PW on the other systems.

2. Keep the external drives unmounted. Both SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner, the two main cloning programs, will mount an unmounted drive for scheduled backups (though I am not sure if this works for encrypted drives).

By the way, the manual for Carbon Copy Cloner refers to this issue. It can occur with any program (since it is a launchd problem), it's just that for most programs it does not matter which copy is launched.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MichaelDurio,

I hope some of what has been posted helps explain the situation. To expand a little on the post linked to by Stephen_C, the system call we have to make to register 1Password mini with launchd specifically does not allow a path to say where 1Password mini exists, all we can supply is a bundle ID. Sadly that bundle ID is the same in every copy and that's why we end up in this position. We know what would need to be done to stop this but it would be a massive undertaking, changing much of how 1Password works under the hood and to the user the only benefit they would see is it would allow them to keep multiple copies of 1Password lying around. Now the developers do want to see this happen but it's getting the time to do so. Until then the best we can suggest is to keep a single copy of 1Password for Mac in your /Applications/ folder and if you make clones of your internal drive to exclude just the 1Password application. You vault, preferences and backups will all still be cloned and all you would need to do in the sad state of needing the clone of your drive would be to download 1Password from our AgileBits Download page where on first launch it would be just as it was with everything intact.

• MichaelDurio
    MichaelDurio
    Community Member
    Options

OK. But in my case, most of my external drives are NOT clones. They simply have OS X with multiple app and data configurations under my user account—fresh installs of OS X and only select data migrated. 1Password gets installed on each one "fresh," not migrated. They're not all even the same version of Mac OS X, though I don't have anything currently running the OS earlier than Mavericks. Most are running Yosemite. I didn't know the under the hood workings of 1Password were so convoluted regarding this. I'm surprised, given that this wasn't an issue until the most recent iterations of 1Password for Mac OS X. Much like many areas of life these days where the old versions of things worked better than the new ones, eh?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MichaelDurio,

Unfortunately, the freshness of 1Password isn’t the issue here. Whether it’s cloned or a brand new install, multiple copies of the 1Password app anywhere on your system leaves the potential for the OS to get confused when you open 1Password and the app requests that mini be opened. It doesn’t always happen, but we’ve seen enough problems from enough users that we find it is best to recommend that you only keep one instance of 1Password on your system at a time.

I'm surprised, given that this wasn't an issue until the most recent iterations of 1Password for Mac OS X.

We first started noticing this in OS X Yosemite. As has been mentioned above, it’s a change in the way the OS operates.

Much like many areas of life these days where the old versions of things worked better than the new ones, eh?

I don’t want to be too harsh on the OS here. There’s a lot of shiny new awesome that has been added to Apple’s operating systems in recent years ... But often new things come with all sorts of new opportunities to break things. It seems to be one of the joys of software development. :)

• Bobalaska
    Bobalaska
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks for the information.

I just began cloning my HD using Carbon Copy Cloner, and started getting messages that I had one or more copies of 1 Password on my external drive containing the clone when I tried to update 1Password (the updates were successful).

This information was helpful. For now, I have deleted 1Password on the clone, and am excluding it from cloning. Since cloning is only one portion of my backup program- so I do sporadically and manually- I will likely use the other suggestion above and unmount the drive- once I determine whether I can unmount only the partition containing the clone; I am pretty sure I can,

Thanks for the information. Glad to find out it was not an issue unique to me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bobalaska,

I’m glad we were able to help!

If you have any other questions about 1Password, we’re always here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.