Dropbox error "Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile."

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Dropbox error "Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile.".

Comments

• DavidEscalante
    DavidEscalante
    Community Member
    Options

Im having the same problem. And yes, my dropbox have everything synced already.

I have tried:

• Using time machine to get older versions of the 1Password.agilekeychain file.
    • Uninstalling dropbox and installing it again

What I can’t understand, is that the same file works fine in my android version of 1Password, and it was working fine in Yosemite.

I got a new MacPro with El Capitan and Im unable to use 1Password because the "Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile." error.

Just because some weeks ago I tried Enpass (because they had fingerprint but i saw 1password added it too recently) and I was able to import my passwords from 1password, I would be screwed otherwise.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DavidEscalante,

I'm sorry you're getting that error when trying to set up Dropbox sync! If Dropbox has fully synced your 1Password.agilekeychain file to your Mac, then it sounds like you're having a bit of a different problem than the one from the previous thread, so I've moved your post to a new discussion. I hope you don't mind!

I'm sure we can help to get this all sorted out, but first we'll just need to know a few more details about your setup:

• What version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • If you navigate to the local Dropbox folder on your new Mac and find the 1Password.agilekeychain file, does it have a green circle with a check mark next to it?
    • It sounds like you're setting up 1Password for the first time on your new Mac - are you trying to choose the 1Password.agilekeychain file during the initial setup, when it asks where your data is?
    • When you select the 1Password.agilekeychain file, does it ask for your master password, or do you get the error first?
    • It sounds like 1Password was syncing correctly with that 1Password.agilekeychain file on an older Mac running Yosemite - do you still have that Mac, and does it still have your 1Password data? And if so, is it still syncing correctly?
    • Aside from your Mac(s) and Android device, what other devices are you syncing with 1Password (if any)?
    • Do you have all your latest 1Password data on your Android device and/or older Mac?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Cameron85737
    Cameron85737
    Community Member
    Options

I have two accounts on my Mac. One is a standard user for everyday business. The second is the admin. 1Password is working perfectly on my standard account. This morning I decided to activate 1Password 6 Version 6.1 (610005) in the admin account. Dropbox posted the error "Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile."

What now?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cameron85737,

I'm sorry you're also getting that error message!

I don't know if you're getting that error for the same reason as the OP, but it can happen if Dropbox has not yet fully downloaded the entire sync file to the local Dropbox folder. Each OS X user account has its own Dropbox folder, so it's possible that it hadn't completely downloaded to the admin account yet. In that case, it should work correctly once Dropbox has had time to completely download the sync file.

If you try again now, does it work or do you get the same error? If you're still having the same problem, please open the local Dropbox folder when signed into the admin account on your Mac and find the 1Password sync file. Does it have a green circle with a check-mark, or a blue circle with arrows?

• Cameron85737
    Cameron85737
    Community Member
    Options

Each OS X user account has its own Dropbox folder. Okay. I am the only DropBox/1PW owner, and there is only one file set displayed in DropB? Strange, but true.

Anyway I tested again and got the same "Cannot load keychain profile" message. So I gave up and went to the market. When I got back (like 45 minutes later), I loaded a Finder window and spotted the 1Password.agilekeychain file was still in synch mode!! Holy mackerel! How long can it take?

Good time end to the story... I did other business, and when the sync dot turned green, I tried again and it worked perfectly. Dropbox had not yet completely download the sync file.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @Cameron85737! I'm glad it worked correctly for you once the sync file finished downloading.

Part of the reason it can take a while to download the entire sync file is because it's actually a package / bundle (basically a special type of folder) which is made up of hundreds of smaller files. If Dropbox also needs to download other files & folders, and if it downloads those before it downloads every file contained within the 1Password sync file, it can end up taking a lot longer than expected.

Thanks for letting us know it's working now! If you need anything else, we're here for you. :)

• Cameron85737
    Cameron85737
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the get back! Maybe my experience and answer will help other folks. You guys are just about the best software outfit I have ever done business with—believe me, I started out in IT with Big Iron IBM mainframes in the early 70s! Good Lord, that's a long time ago!

And one more thing . . . In v 6.1, isn't the login name used supposed to be displayed next to the name of the active site? Thought I read that in the release notes. Even if I'm wrong, 1P/W is still the best one out there. I recommend it to all of my customers.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cameron85737, you're very welcome! :)

In v 6.1, isn't the login name used supposed to be displayed next to the name of the active site? Thought I read that in the release notes.

You definitely read something about that in the release notes - the way it works is that the username is shown next to Login items that have the exact same title (for example, if you have two or more Login items named "Google", the username for each of those will be shown). This is to help figure out which Login item is which when you have more than one with the same title. Therefore, usernames aren't shown for Login items that have unique titles. Sorry for any confusion about that!

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm really glad to hear you love 1Password - we want our customers to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it. We wouldn't be where we are today without awesome users such as yourself, so thank you for cheering us on! :)

This discussion has been closed.