Extension unable to connect to app (1Password 4)

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Clicking Mac Chrome extension starts then quits 1Password.

Comments

• ncmphoto
    ncmphoto
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem, though not the same (should I open another thread?). Anyhow, Chrome Version 52.0.2743.82 (64-bit), OSX 10.9.5, 1Password version 4.4.3. Often, though not always, when I go to input my master password in order to access the saved 1Password login and password for a site, I get an alert - I assume one cannot post image grabs to this forum. Basically it says:
    Looking for the 1Password app. the 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly.
    Then below it another window:
    You are opening the application : "1Password 4app" for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application? The application is in a folder named "Applications". To see the application in the Finder without opening it, click Show Application.

All this with a spinning beachball that last for a while. Needless to say, this happens without my having updated 1Password. So I don't know why Chrome keeps losing contact with it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ncmphoto: We may need to split this off into a separate discussion to focus on your issue, but I wonder if it may be related even though a different version of 1Password is involved. Do you perhaps have "security" software or other extensions installed that may be interfering with communications between 1Password and the extension? Try disabling them temporarily, restart your Mac, and let me know if that makes a difference.

• ncmphoto
    ncmphoto
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, besides 1Password, I have AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, Save to Pocket extensions. I have disabled the only security one, WOT: Web of Trust, Web site Reputations Ratings, which doesn’t actually block anything, only flags insecure websites, giving one the option to access them or not.

On the Mac I do not have any antivirus app installed. I do have Little Snitch, but don’t see how that would block the 1Password extension in Chrome.

In any case I shall reboot the Mac and see what happens. Unfortunately the problem is sporatic, so there will not necessarily be any feedback soon.

Just wondering what could case the issue. It began to happen only fairly recently. Perhaps a Chrome update caused this?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ncmphoto,

I split your messages to a new thread since it sounds like this problem is different than the one in the previous discussion. Thanks for disabling those other extensions to see if it helps! Was there any change after rebooting your Mac?

If not, I wonder if Little Snitch might have something to do with this. Would it be possible to disable it and then see if the 1Password extension works?

Also, are you able to open & unlock the main 1Password app on your Mac?

• ncmphoto
    ncmphoto
    Community Member
    Options

No occasion so far to find out if it worked, since I haven't gotten that alert, but that doesn't mean much since it doesn't happen every day. Yes, I can open the main 1Password app on my Mac, which I do when I get that alert, hoping it will solve the problem. Eventually the extension kicks in and works normally till the next time. I wonder if it has to do with Chrome updates. Chrome updates automatically so I may not be aware of each one as it happens. Maybe this problem occurs on each Chrome update.
    I can try disabling Little Snitch for a while. As I said, it is hard to troubleshoot this issue since it only happens once in a while. It is still annoying though. I was hoping there is something specific that triggers the problem and that it could be solved with that. Guess it is not that simple.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ncmphoto,

Hmm, it's strange that this problem only happens once in a while. Your idea about it being triggered by a Chrome update is interesting, and maybe it's something similar to that. Once Chrome installs an update, it needs to be restarted, and until that happens, the 1Password extension may not work - but it usually gives a different error message when that happens. So I'm not sure if that's exactly what's happening, but it might be something along those lines.

You don't need to disable Little Snitch if this problem only happens occasionally - I would think that if Little Snitch was conflicting with the 1Password extension, it would be a more consistent issue. Instead, the next time this problem happens, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• ncmphoto
    ncmphoto
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I have copied your info into a text message and will follow through next time it happens.

• ncmphoto
    ncmphoto
    Community Member
    Options

umm...exept that your diagnostic report spiel concerns version 5 of 1Password while I have version 4.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ncmphoto,

The same steps to create a diagnostics report for 1Password 5 will also work for 1Password 4. Sorry for any confusion about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.