1Password extensions and viewing other items

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Windows Chrome extension use account instead of local vault.

Comments

• jchauvin
    jchauvin
    Community Member
    Options

And if you don't have those in the Task Manager? I'm only able to see my account vault when I unlock from the Chrome extension, but if I click outside of the extension and go back, all the data goes away. I removed all of the extensions, downloaded new ones, restarted, and tried again. Still nothing. I'm using the 1Password beta 6.0.184d for Windows. So far, it's been a huge headache. As a secondary problem, copying data in the beta from Dropbox to Family Account does not copy over any websites. It cleared all of them. I've been fighting this for a large portion of time today.

• jchauvin
    jchauvin
    Community Member
    Options

Update: If there is a website, I can see the login from the browser if I'm already on the login page, but it won't let me search for anything when I'm not on an identified login page. What's the use of the browser extension if I can't actually search for items?

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @jchauvin,

I've split your posts from the other thread since your issue is of a different nature.

Update: If there is a website, I can see the login from the browser if I'm already on the login page, but it won't let me search for anything when I'm not on an identified login page. What's the use of the browser extension if I can't actually search for items?

If you want to search for other items, bring up the 1Password mini with the shortcut, Control + Alt + \ and you can then search for the item you want to open. It should then open the site in the default browser and fill the data in for you, as long as the browser is open. There may be some issues where if Chrome is closed, it cannot fill in the first tab.

Right now if you click on the 1Password icon, it is the same as pressing Control + \, it won't let you search for other items to open. This will be improved in a future update.

In addition, the 1Password mini can only fill existing Login items when you're on the site's login page. There is no save function support yet, this will be added in the future among other features like the ability to view the details of the items in mini, fill with credit card/identity items, auto-submit and many more.

As a secondary problem, copying data in the beta from Dropbox to Family Account does not copy over any websites. It cleared all of them. I've been fighting this for a large portion of time today.

I am not sure what you mean by cleared, do you mean empty items or do you mean the URL wasn't carried over?

First, if you're using the older .agilekeychain file in your Dropbox vault, there is a known migration bug where it doesn't copy over the URLs in the Login items. This will be fixed soon.

For now, to fix this, you have to export the data in 1Password 4 and import with that 1PIF export file into the vault in your 1Password account using 1Password 6 Beta.

• jchauvin
    jchauvin
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@MikeT That explains quite a bit. I knew there were some limitations to the browser extension, such as not being able to add new logins, but I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to search all available logins like I had previously. I've used your suggestions for launching it from the mini and it will work until new features are added. Is there a location to view proposed updates and timelines? My home computer is a Mac, but I've had to transition to a Windows machine for work and would love to see the experience be similar. I'm sure updating the beta is in the works, but it wasn't obvious when users can (or should) be looking for extension updates or new beta versions.

As per my secondary issue, you are correct that my "cleared" URLs was the known migration bug where the URLs did not get copied over for login items. I have since cleared all the items I copied and did the export of 1Password 4 to the beta. It worked well. Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @jchauvin,

Is there a location to view proposed updates and timelines?

No, we don't have a public roadmap. The extensions support is our highest priority right now as it is what most of our customers want us to add now, so that's what we're doing and there will be a lot of updates over the next few months to improve the extension support. The 1Password mini was the first big thing we needed to do before we can add everything else. Stay tuned, it'll get better.

I'm sure updating the beta is in the works, but it wasn't obvious when users can (or should) be looking for extension updates or new beta versions.

The browser extension doesn't have any UI or data, all of that is handled by 1Password mini, which is a part of the main 1Password app. That's why even though the extension doesn't need to change between 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 Beta, the experience is radically different.

By allowing the 1Password mini to handle the data and the UI, we can have a unified experience for all browsers (and third party apps in the future). However, since 1Password 6 Beta is a new app, it means we have to take the time to implement the missing features.

I have since cleared all the items I copied and did the export of 1Password 4 to the beta. It worked well. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear that, we are working on an update to reuse the same import process against our migration process as well.

This discussion has been closed.