downloaded from Mac App Store and now says "read only"

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Read-only mode on Mac Store bought 1password.

Comments

• trbartel01
    trbartel01
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem, but a restart did not help. I've had a license for years, but this latest update to 6.3.3 that did NOT occur automatically, that I had to download manually is in read only mode.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @trbartel01 - Sorry for the troubles. Did you download 1Password from our website? Your license is only compatible with the version from our website - https://1password.com/downloads/

The Mac App Store version of 1Password will not work with your standalone license. Keep me posted and any additional details you can provide will be greatly appreciated :+1:

• trbartel01
    trbartel01
    Community Member
    Options

yes

• trbartel01
    trbartel01
    Community Member
    Options

I have 3 devices, two macbooks and one iMac desktop. The macbooks are working fine. I downloaded manually from your site. I went through the same process today for my iMac since I was away from it for a while. It only shows READ ONLY mode and is trying to get me to pay for a new license and/or subscription.

• trbartel01
    trbartel01
    Community Member
    Options

Now, it's suddenly working...not sure what I did because I've been at in for a while now, even logging in online to my account. This was a frustrating update for AgileBits, sorry to say.

• sbc8
    sbc8
    Community Member
    Options

same problem here for a week. repeated emails from me to agile are still getting an automated response!@#$
    i have installed my purchase from app store and it continues to say 'read only.'

• sbc8
    sbc8
    Community Member
    Options

Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/App Store Receipts/receipt

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trbartel01 and @sbc8,

I hope you don't mind, but I've split your posts into a separate thread since they're about a different issue than the previous thread.

If you're seeing a "Read only" message in 1Password, that means you downloaded it from the Mac App Store (there's no "read only" message in the AgileBits Store version). The Mac App Store version of 1Password will be in read-only mode unless you've purchased it through the Mac App Store, or unless you're using a 1Password.com account.

A license from our AgileBits Store won't work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password, so if you bought a license from our web store, you'll need to switch back to the AgileBits Store version. First, go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag 1Password.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools). Then download the AgileBits Store version of 1Password from our download site. Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation and follow the steps. When you're done, find the new 1Password 6.app file in the Applications folder and double-click on it.

On the other hand, if you originally bought 1Password from the Mac App Store but now it's in read-only mode, you may have downloaded it while signed in with a different Apple ID than the one you originally used to make the purchase. Drag 1Password.app to the Trash, launch the Mac App Store and sign out of the current Apple ID, then sign back in with the Apple ID that is associated with your Mac App Store purchase. Find 1Password on the Purchased tab and install it from there.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• sbc8
    sbc8
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings Drew_AG,

Thanks for your reply. I have only ever had the one 'Apple ID.'

Have tried three times now - each time trashing 1Password.app and reinstalling from 'App Store - purchased.'

Cheers, Mark

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sbc8,

Thank you for the screenshot! According to that screenshot, the first time you downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store with that Apple ID was two weeks ago, on March 10, 2017. The Mac App Store version of 1Password has been a free download since February, but will be in read-only mode unless one of the following conditions is met:

• You paid for the Mac App Store version of 1Password before it became free to download in February.
    • You download it for free but then make an in-app purchase to use 1Password as a standalone app.
    • You sign up for / sign into a 1Password.com subscription account.

If you paid for the Mac App Store version before it became free to download, it would have been using a different Apple ID, as your current Apple ID shows March 10 as the first time you downloaded it. If you're sure you've only ever used that same Apple ID, then it looks like you didn't make your purchase from the Mac App Store. Is it possible you purchased a license from our web store instead? If so, you can have your license resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site.

Alternately, do you happen to have an email receipt/confirmation of your purchase? If the purchase was from the Mac App Store, the email would be from Apple. If you bought a license from the AgileBits Store, the email would be from us. If you can find that email, it should help to clear up the confusion. (Don't post it here though, as these forums are public - if necessary, we can have you email us a copy of it.)

I'm sorry this has been confusing, and I'm sure we can figure it out one way or another. Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.