Secret Key? What's that?

We recently bought a new computer (iMac). While trying to set up 1Passord, it's asking for our Secret Key. I don't think we have one. I believe we have a family account, but neither of our existing computers have the options listed in the help section for finding the Secret Key. For instance, on my PC under Settings, there is no "Accounts & Vaults" option listed. Same issues on our Apple products. Is this because we bought 1Password before a Secret Key was established, or am I missing something?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@msclavenna: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there! Formerly known as the Account Key, Your Secret Key is part of the credentials for a 1Password.com account, if you've signed up for a membership. We've made this change because frankly people kept sharing them and subsequently needed to regenerate them. If you purchased a license for the standalone 1Password app, you won't have one of these, and your license key/file is valid for the specific version you purchased. But you can get access to all of the apps, the web interface, and not have to worry about license management or sync configuration if you sign up for a 1Password membership — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Ah - I understand the difference now. We just needed to click the "Sync using Dropbox" option. We hadn't added Dropbox to the new computer yet when we started this process, so I think that was causing the problem. I think we've got it up and running now. Thanks for the help!

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

Ah, Dropbox! That makes sense! Thanks for following up. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you have any other questions! :)

• edited April 20

I'm using 1Password on a desktop and on a laptop PC (both on Windows). Recently formatted the desktop PC and I want to use 1Password on it as I did for the last one and a half year. Well it seems I bought 1Password for 29.99 $ USD and don't have any Secret key.

Regarding your answer to msclavenna, it seems I have to buy a new account now and can't keep using what I bought without paying again. Did I miss something or is that the new deal ?

Thanks for your answer.

• FrankFrank

AgileBits Team Member
    edited April 20

Hi @gregoiregavin - Sorry for confusion and I'll be happy to help out. You can continue to rock your standalone license just as you were before. You will need to install 1Password 4 from our website just click on the standalone version below the download button. I emailed you over a copy of your standalone license information just in case you need it.

The Secret Key pertains to our 1Password memberships. We include a 30 day free trial giving you a chance to test drive all the features. Let us know if you have any additional questions, I'll be happy to help out. Enjoy the rest of your day :smile:

• Thank you @Frank so much for your prompt answer! I didn't see that standalone download button.
    Cheers

• FrankFrank

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @gregoiregavin - You're very welcome and I'm happy to hear everything worked out. Sorry for the confusion earlier and keep us posted if you run into any questions along the way, we're here and happy to assist :smile: Have a great day!