Secure notes are truncated on iPad

Options
learning_1pw
learning_1pw
Community Member

I have a secure note that is being truncated on my iPad on first viewing. I created the note on my Mac and placed it in one of my 1Password Family vaults. When I initially view it on my iPad, not all of the lines are displayed and scrolling does not reveal the missing lines.

Here is an interesting thing. While I was researching this on my Mac, the ipad went into automatic lock mode. When I unlocked it, the entire message was then displayed. If I move to another vault and then come back to this secure note, it is again trunncated and unscrollable. Only the first 4 lines are displayed.

This problem seems to be similar to https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/62956/secure-note-notes-field-not-displaying-fully-on-ipad, but that thread was closed without a resolution.

The file that I created on my Mac is just a text file with varying line lengths. I wanted to see how long a line could be before it wrapped on the ipad. Here is the file that I put in the secure note.

123456789a123456789b123456789c123456789d123456789e123456789f123456789g

123456789a123456789b123456789c123456789d123456789e123456789f12345

123456789a123456789b123456789c123456789d123456789e123456789f

123456789a123456789b123456789c123456789d123456789e12345

123456789a123456789b123456789c123456789d123456789e

123456789a123456789b123456789c123456789d12345

123456789a123456789b123456789c123456789d

As I say, on initial viewing of the note, only the first 4 lines are displayed.

1Password Version: 6.5.4
Extension Version: no extensions
OS Version: IOS 10.2.1 (14D27)
Sync Type: 1Password Family vault
Referrer: forum-search:notes truncated on ipad

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @learning_1pw,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Have you noticed any difference in this behavior when rotating the iPad to landscape mode?

Please let me know.

Ben

ref: OPI-2777

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

When I use WLAN to sync from my Mac to my iOS installation the Notes sections of my Secure Notes and my Login items re not syncing properly. For some items, both Secure Notes and Logins, the full length of the Notes sync and show up on my iPad. For other items, both Secure Notes and Logins, only part of the Notes are syncing.

I am using macOS 10.12.3 and iOS 10.2.1 on my devices, with the most recent licensed versions of 1P for Mac on my computer and 1P for iOS (w/o the Pro Features) on my iPad.

Can you tell me how to get all of my Notes to sync at their full length?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I note learning_1pw apparently asked the same question earlier and Ben answered by asking if the truncated Note sections changed when the iPad was rotated to Landscape. I took the hint and rotated my own iPad to Landscape. In Landscape a few more lines of the truncated Note sections were visible, but they were still truncated.

The difference is that the items with fully-displayed Note sections will scroll, in Portrait or Landscape, but the items with truncated Note sections will not scroll, either in Portrait or in Landscape. As I noted above, this happens to some Note sections, both in my Secure Notes and in my Logins, but not to all of them.

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

In landscape mode, I see 5 lines instead of 4. I now see the line ending in e, whereas in portrait mode the last line that I see is the one ending in e12345. In both cases, if I hit "edit" and then "cancel" I then see all lines of the secure note.

I'll be happy to run further experiments if you wish.

Tom

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Big mystery!!! Taking learning_1pw's cue, I checked my truncated Notes entries and found that if I put them in Edit mode, then hit Back, then hit Done, the full entries would appear. Unfortunately, if I leave a Secure Note or Login item after "fixing" the Notes entry, then come back to it after viewing another item, the full Notes entry longer shows, having reverted to its truncated form. The entries also revert if I lock and then reopen 1Password for iOS.

Any ideas from the AgileBits team? Are we doing something wrong? Or can this problem be fixed through programming at your end?

PS. I have now updated my iPad to iOS 10.3.1, so I am using the most recent versions of all software, including the 1Password licensed versions on my Mac and iPad, but w/o the Pro Features.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

PPS. I just added Pro Features to my iOS installation. Now I can view all of my attachments, but the truncated Notes problem persists.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks folks. We do have a bug filed that I believe covers this. Hopefully our development team is able to make some progress here soon.

Ben

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update, Ben.

Tom

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed that if a family member does not have edit privileges on a vault, the work around of going into edit mode to view the secure note won't work. For obvious reasons, the edit button is not available.

• Ben
    Options

Yep, very true. Unfortunately I don't know of a workaround for that scenario at this point. If you come up with one please feel free to share!

Ben

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted to check to see if any progress is being made on this bug. It is important to me, because I have a 1Password Family subscription, and my brother only has an iPad. I've created many lengthy Secure Notes with instructions to family members on what to do if something happens to me. It would be nice if he could read them without the need to login to the web site.

• Ben
    Options

@learning_1pw,

I don't have any update to share at this point, however I have pinged our development team to see if we can get this on the agenda.

Ben

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Cool. Thanks, Ben.

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :)

Ben

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

I see that this bug still has not been fixed in 6.8.2 for the iPad. Is there any hope of it being fixed in the next release?

• @learning_1pw

I wish I had more information to share, but unfortunately I do not. All I can say is that a bug has been filed and that it is still open.

Ben

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. As I mentioned earlier, this is of interest to me, because I use 1Password Family and my brother only has an iPad.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you. Hopefully we'll be able to narrow down the cause so we can fix this. :blush:

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Great. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.