1Password can't verify the identity of Opera Beta 53.0.2907.21.

Options
timdafweak
timdafweak
Community Member

I updated my Opera Beta install to 53.0.2907.21 a week or so ago. Since then, 1Password has not worked with the browser, neither at home, nor at work. I keep getting the error where 1Password can't verify the identity of my browser.

I have the MAS version of 1Password, and all the details are listed below. I have tried both the beta and the stable versions of the web extension.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.1.3
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Opera Beta

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@timdafweak - yes, we're aware of that; as mentioned in this thread, the Opera developers changed the code signature recently. As we're already into 1Password 7 for Mac development, it's unlikely that we'll be adding the new code signature check into 1Password 6 for Mac, since we always recommend people use the latest version of software and OS. The good news here is that you can download the 1Password 7 for Mac beta and begin using the future of 1Password for Mac today! You'll also enjoy a nearly 40% discount off the eventual $64.95 price of a license for 1Password 7 for Mac if you purchase during the beta period ($39.99). And 1Password 7 for Mac includes the new code signature Opera recently released. Let us know if you have questions!

• graybearded
    graybearded
    Community Member
    Options

This is appalling.

I've been a 1password paying customer since v3 and now after all these years I can't use 1password because the devs won't add a simple code signature? Forcing me onto a beta product...

Maybe this is the push I need to reconsider Enpass since their mobile app also supports more cloud sync options.

Opera 53.0.2907.37 (public stable release)

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks. I have some very promising news to share. Development is going to be working on 1Password v6.8.9 which will have the updated code signature for Opera. I can’t say when it’ll be available, but it is on the map.

Thanks!

Ben

• projectguru
    projectguru
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben that wasn't so hard was it? I find it sleazy on 1Password's part that if something breaks (whether it's because of a browser update or a 1PW update) Agilebits immediately tries to sell you something. Do they pay you a commision Ben? If not, you should refrain from readily offering a new subscription or new version (especially when the fix is as simple as updating a code signature).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @projectguru! For reference, no one here - not even the Sales Team - is paid on commission. That said, this one was a fence-straddler. We decided to add the changed code signature into 1Password 6.8.9 because you're right, it's not particularly difficult (comparatively) to do so. But we're also of the opinion that things from a certain time period should remain there. That's why we're not also going back and adding the same code-signature changes (plus many other updates) to versions 4 and 5 of 1Password for Mac: because those are legacy apps and - in those cases - have been so for quite a while. 1Password 6 is of course a recent entry into the "legacy" category, but that's why I said it was a fence-straddler. The Opera devs changed their code signature after the release of 1Password 7 for Mac, so we updated our current version (7) to reflect this. Stricter adherence to a policy of keeping things working as they were when they were current would have indicated we not do that, but as many people are still using version 6 as their primary engine, and as it was fairly recent, we released the 6.8.9 update. But that probably won't be the case if the Opera devs do the same thing in another few months (not that I'm expecting them to, just using this as an example), for exactly the reasons I just gave. As a security company, we can't do anything BUT urge users to keep their hardware, OS and software (including especially - but not limited to - our own) up-to-date. So yes, we're going to continue to urge users to keep as current as possible, not because we want to sell you something, but because we can't in good conscience recommend people intentionally use legacy products that are no longer receiving development attention. If avoiding cost is the primary criterion for anyone's selection of password manager, there are several free options available -- I'd urge people to look into them. 1Password isn't ever going to win any "who's cheapest" contest. And using something is usually better than using nothing at all. :)

• Gladely
    Gladely
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Are 1password 7 vault formats compatible with 1password 6? If we have shared vaults, and one user upgrades, does this force us to upgrade every-single-user(and device) that uses that shared vault?

• Ben
    Options

@Gladely,

We don’t support sharing 1Password data except through 1Password.com. That said, both 1Password 7 and 1Password 6 can sync with the standalone OPVault sync format. If you haven’t already you should consider upgrading any synced vaults to OPVault:

How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain | 1Password

Ben

• Gladely
    Gladely
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben
    Thanks for the info!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gladely - on behalf of Ben, you're quite welcome! I'm glad he was able to assist you. :)

This discussion has been closed.