Opera 53.0.2907.37 failing signature verification

Options
GTIMANiac
GTIMANiac
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

Can we please just restore the ability to opt out of signature verification? Sure it "may" be a risk, but by removing the customers' ability to opt out is a serious pain every few months when this creeps up.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not even being given the option to try. Since upgrading to 53.0.2907.37 an hour ago Opera and 1Password appear to be incompatible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can we please just restore the ability to opt out of signature verification? Sure it "may" be a risk, but by removing the customers' ability to opt out is a serious pain every few months when this creeps up.

@GTIMANiac: We don't have any plans to do that. You may be comfortable taking that risk, but it isn't one we can recommend or support. 1Password is security software, and we have to consider all 1Password users when making decisions that impact security.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@ashleyk: I'm sorry for the confusion and inconvenience. Opera has changed their code signature, and 1Password 6 does not have the new one they've adopted. You can find more details here:

Opera 53 (Mac): 1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser

We'll update that thread as more information becomes available.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

I've been over to the Opera forums and I gather others have reported this to the developers. It essentially makes Opera unusable for most tasks as far as I am concerned.

• channonite
    channonite
    Community Member
    Options

Opera say that it is nothing that they can change as, in their words "the id is hard coded into 1Password". Sounds like a communication failure to me. So, are 1Password going to update the code signature, so we can get back to using Opera??

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're right, the combination of Opera 53 with the current version of 1Password 6 is not usable. The situation is not pleasant in the slightest for our Opera users and I wish there was something I could say right now but there isn't. I do fully intend on updating that post as soon as there is some news we can share. While we wait it's the undesirable choice between copy and paste or using an alternative browser in the meanwhile from the still support list of:

• Safari
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Vivaldi
    • Brave

I don't consider either option satisfactory, it's just these are currently the only two options available until we have something to announce :(

• GTIMANiac
    GTIMANiac
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables
    Yeah, those workarounds are no different than migrating to dashlane, or lastpass or another alternative. So I hope the issue is resolved quickly and mitigation is in place to minimize impact in the future.

@brenty
    The option to bypass integrity check did exist in the past and a user enabling it doesn't transfer onus of responsibility to 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Yeah, those workarounds are no different than migrating to dashlane, or lastpass or another alternative.

Yep, that is true enough, but we don’t make changes to our roadmap based on threats of customers switching to an alternative solution. If anyone ever asks me I always encourage them to try out the competition. I think 1Password is the best solution available, but we can’t possibily be the best solution for every situation. We want people to pick and continue to use 1Password because they feel it offers the best value to them of the available options, not because they feel stuck with it.

So I hope the issue is resolved quickly and mitigation is in place to minimize impact in the future.

I do too, truly.

Ben

• GTIMANiac
    GTIMANiac
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

The ability for the user to bypass signature did exist in the past. I am using a purchased product, not a subscription, it's not a threat to leave, you already have my money.

• rupert2019
    rupert2019
    Community Member
    Options

@GTIMANiac Looks like they want to make you upgrade to 1Password 7

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/426482#Comment_426482

From the link

... yes, we're aware of that; as mentioned in this thread, the Opera developers changed the code signature recently. As we're already into 1Password 7 for Mac development, it's unlikely that we'll be adding the new code signature check into 1Password 6 for Mac, since we always recommend people use the latest version of software and OS. The good news here is that you can download the 1Password 7 for Mac beta and begin using the future of 1Password for Mac today! You'll also enjoy a nearly 40% discount off the eventual $64.95 price of a license for 1Password 7 for Mac if you purchase during the beta period ($39.99). And 1Password 7 for Mac includes the new code signature Opera recently released. Let us know if you have questions!

Its this kind of lack of support that causes me to think twice about using a product. There is no reason they can't add this signature to the currently released version. I was considering moving to the service from the purchased product. Do the right thing Agile!

• GTIMANiac
    GTIMANiac
    Community Member
    Options

@rupert2019 I agree, planned obsolescence is a poor business model.

If someone in a backlog grooming or standup suggested removing the bypass signature without input from the customer this is also poor customer service. The signature filed should be able to be updated via CDN or whatever method is used for watchtower.

• Ben
    Options

I think we’ve pretty well beat this one to death folks. If the current situation changes we’ll update this thread. Thanks.

Ben

• GTIMANiac
    GTIMANiac
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben
    So your recommendation is to find a replacement tool?

• Ben
    Options

My recommendation coincides with littlebobbytable’s comments above:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/430003/#Comment_430003

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks. I have some very promising news to share. Development is going to be working on 1Password v6.8.9 which will have the updated code signature for Opera. I can’t say when it’ll be available, but it is on the map.

Thanks!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

As promised, v6.8.9 is now available with the new signature: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/430936/#Comment_430936

Ben

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

I ran the update and saw this message the next time I tried starting Opera.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ashleyk

That error is from Opera, not 1Password. Typically reinstalling the application in question (Opera in this case) will resolve that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.