Browser extensions not working/Open-and-fill crashing mini

Options
battis
battis
Community Member

So... the upgrade from v6 to v7 has been a bit rocky over here. First time I tried to launch 1P7, it wouldn't take my master password at all (and had lost my licensing information). Quitting and relaunching seems to have effected the import fro 1P6 more effectively. Then the browser extension refused to open in Chrome until I moved Chrome back to /Applications (it had been, I think not unreasonably, in ~/Applications). And 1P mini has been reliably crashing every time I try to use it to "open and fill" a login -- and seems to have no awareness of which website is open in the browser when I click the menubar link (no auto-search -- wasn't that there in v6 in 1P mini?).

At the moment, however, I'm finding myself stymied by getting logins from 1P to my browser(s).

When I click on the the 1P icon in either Chrome or Safari, the window flashes and nothing seems to happen. After careful study, what I think is happening is that, if the 1P app is running, that click on the browser toolbar button is flashing the 1P app into the foreground, and then bringing the browser back to the foreground. With the 1P app closed and just 1P mini running, the window flashes, but nothing else happens.

I have uninstalled my browser extensions in both Chrome and Safari, and then reinstalled them by following the "install browser extension" button in 1P mini -- i.e. following the route that I deemed most likely to get me the right version of the extension. In both Safari and Chrome, it took me to your website to download the extension (I opted for Beta, on the faint hope that I might get username previews back sooner) -- and I've set my 1P app to similarly update from the Beta channel (didn't score an update doing that, though). When I opened the .safariextz file, Safari offered to install the same version from their Gallery to auto-update, so I took that option (skeptically).

I've seen references to v7 automagically managing the Safari extension? Haven't seen it either happening or options to make it happen so far, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm kinda assuming I have the wrong version of the browser extensions, but I'm at loss for how to get the right version.

Insights? Right now the primary use case for 1P is just not working.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: 4.7.1.4 (Chrome), 4.7.1 (Safari)
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• battis
    battis
    Community Member
    Options

Open and fill from the 1P app also crashes. Just FYI.

Hmm. How browser-specific is open-and-fill? I mean, if I were running, say... Choosy as my default browser, would that be causing 1P problems?

• battis
    battis
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ah. I fixed it myself... but I'm pretty annoyed.

The 1P app was in ~/Applications instead of /Applications. I saw the comment in the Chrome browser extension support discussion in the Chrome web gallery indicating that both the browser and the 1P app had to be in /Applications to work properly, and that got me there.

This also fixed the crashing on "open and fill".

But here's the thing:

1. That didn't used to be true. This is a change.
    2. The app is entirely capable of checking where it is, alerting the user, and moving itself. (I've seen other apps do it!)
    3. There was no warning about #1 and the app didn't bother to do #2.

That's pretty crappy.

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @battis! Glad to hear you got things fixed up. 1Password 7 is fully sandboxed, which is why it and any apps it interacts with need to be in the system Applications folder to work with each other. While the app is capable of checking where things are, it goes against the idea of sandboxing.

• battis
    battis
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. I get the point about needing to be sandboxed and therefore maybe not moving one's own executable. But I do think that a reasonable warning that the sandboxed app is running outside its sandbox is not unreasonable (or undesireable).

(and we're back to crashing on open-and-fill from the 1P app. Sigh.)

• battis
    battis
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. How browser-specific is open-and-fill? I mean, if I were running, say... Choosy as my default browser, would that be causing 1P problems?

• waynehiner
    waynehiner
    Community Member
    Options

I also have had the open and fill problem, actually the browser extensions in both Chrome and Firefox have never worked since the upgrade. Both of them worked fine in 1Password 6.
    1Password application: 7.0.4 (AgileBits direct)
    Chrome: 66.0.3359.181
    Firefox: 60.0.1

• waynehiner
    waynehiner
    Community Member
    Options

Updated to High Sierra 10.13.5 - still the same issue.
    I'm going back to 1P6 if there is no movement here soon.

• Ben
    Options

@battis

Choosy is unfortunately incompatible with the way we’re doing open and fill in 1Password 7. We’ve heard a number of reports on this, including from our own design team, and so it is definitely something we’d like to find a way to address. Unfortunately I can’t make any promises at this point.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@waynehiner

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browser extensions?

Ben

• waynehiner
    waynehiner
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben - I got it working this morning. I had to completely uninstall all traces of 1P7 and both browser extensions, reboot and then download and install the latest 1P7, reboot and install the browser extensions. They are both working now, although the Chrome extension was a little wonky the first few times that it launched, not requiring me to log in.
    Not a particularly smooth upgrade...

• Jacob
    Options

@waynehiner Thanks for the update. We'll keep an eye out for more of that and see if we can get things smoothed out. I appreciate you sharing what happened.

• jcro
    jcro
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem of my Safari and Firefox browser extensions not working after upgrading to 1P7. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and restarted my Mac multiple times for both browsers but it still doesn't work. When I click the 1P add-on icon in either browser the browser window flashes momentarily as if it's trying to open a new window or as if the window opened in the background, but I can't view it anywhere or pull it to the front.

My 1P7 app is in my Applications folder, although it's in my personal user folder (i.e. /Users//Applications/), whereas my browsers are simply in /Applications. Is this the problem?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

My 1P7 app is in my Applications folder, although it's in my personal user folder (i.e. /Users//Applications/), whereas my browsers are simply in /Applications. Is this the problem?

Because of sandboxing requirements the 1Password 7.app file must be in the main Applications folder in order for 1Password 7 to work properly.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jcro! Sorry for the confusion.

Bingo! As @Stephen_C mentioned, this is due to 1Password 7 being the first (non-Mac App Store) version that is sandboxed, which means it needs to reside in your Applications folder and not in ~/Applications. However, this is easily-enough solved:

• Quit all running browsers
    • Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    • Drag the 1Password 7 for Mac app from ~/Applications to Applications, and you should be set! Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.