Install "for me only"

Options
geoffreycross
geoffreycross
Community Member

Hi, I'm trying to install 7.0.1 in my user applications folder, but this option is gray-ed out in the installer.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @geoffreycross,

You really don't want to try and install there or move 1Password 7 to there after installing into the system-wide /Applications/ folder. Starting with 1Password 7 both the Mac App Store and now our own AgileBits Store version are sandboxed and as a result for filling to work in the browser both 1Password and the browser must reside in /Applications/ - any other combination will result in filling appearing to be broken. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news and throwing water on your hopes but if you install into /Applications/ you'll get a much happier 1Password 7.

• DavidShepherdson
    DavidShepherdson
    Community Member
    Options

@geoffreycross: there's another thread on here where a couple of us ran into problems upgrading from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 when we had it previously installed in ~/Applications; the auto-updated version ended up in ~/Applications, as I would have expected, but then the browser extensions and keyboard shortcuts for opening 1Password Mini didn't work.

I'm sure AgileBits has a good technical reason for wanting to sandbox the normal version as well as the Mac App Store version, but it seems unfortunate from an end-user perspective -- one of the reasons for not using applications from the Mac App Store is to avoid intrusive sandboxing limitations. :-) There doesn't seem to have been any obvious benefit for the user experience (which is why I'm sure there must have been a good technical reason, otherwise it wouldn't have changed); in fact, the user experience is a bit worse overall (with things like the inability to install in ~/Applications, or the need to 'authorise' access to a folder in order to get the browser extensions to submit after filling again).

Since I imagine sandboxing the application wasn't a trivial change, I'm not holding out much hope that this might be reversed, but just in case it is under consideration, please add my vote!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DavidShepherdson

Since I imagine sandboxing the application wasn't a trivial change,

It wasn't. :)

...I'm not holding out much hope that this might be reversed, but just in case it is under consideration, please add my vote!

Noted! But it's unlikely we'll be reverting this new behavior anytime soon. This is an increase in security for "our" version of 1Password (the Mac App Store version already benefitted from this), and as such, it's likely to stick around. But thanks for taking the time to document your experience and share your wishes. :+1:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Why do you want to install in ~/Applications? I don't see the value of that myself.

Would making an alias of 1PW and putting the alias in ~/Applications be of any use to you? It's easy enough to do.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danco - I don't want to assume I've necessarily thought of all use cases (in fact, working here, I'm repeatedly amazed at how real-world examples show me I haven't thought of everything, no matter how hard I try). That said, in this case, due to sandboxing restrictions which we voluntarily added ourselves in even "our" version of 1Password 7 for Mac, the app must be installed into /Applications to function properly.

I find it difficult to imagine that being a deal-breaker for users because it isn't as if putting it in a folder that all user accounts on a Mac have access to means they can see anything about one's data, or anything else related to one's 1Password use (other than the fact that you've installed it). But thanks for the aliasing suggestion for @DavidShepherdson :)

• DavidShepherdson
    DavidShepherdson
    Community Member
    Options

There are two main use cases I know of.

The first is allowing a non-admin user to install it in their own ~/Applications, which they have control over (and write permissions for, unlike /Applications).

The second is in a business situation, where all users on all machines have a standard set of applications installed in /Applications, and individual users who want to install their own software can keep it in ~/Applications, so that if they swap to a different machine, and have their home directory migrated across, all of their own applications move along with that, while leaving a 'clean' environment on the original machine for the next user.

(The second of these is actually the situation I came across this with for upgrading to 1Password 7, since I had originally installed 1Password 6 for myself in ~/Applications for 'personal' use, as opposed to applications that were licensed by the company and therefore available for all staff members -- these would go in /Applications so they'd be ready to use for whoever the machine is cycled on to when I get a new one. However, as it happens, in the time since I had originally installed 1Password 6 for myself, we'd convinced the company to sign up for 1Password for Teams, meaning that I could subsequently install 1Password 7 in /Applications anyway without needing to deviate from this pattern!)

So it's definitely not a deal-breaker by any means for me; just something worth being aware of as a change in behaviour compared with previous versions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DavidShepherdson: Very good points. Thank you! :)

Honestly, as Lars mentioned, we're almost certainly not going to revert this change. The hard work is already done, and frankly it does seem like the writing is on the wall and the days of non-sandboxed apps being the norm will come to an end. Apple has been slowly but deliberately moving in this direction since Lion(!) and the launch of the Mac App Store. It will probably be some time before non-sandboxed apps are not allowed at all, but I would not at all be surprised if Apple does something akin to SIP (if I'm not getting my wires crossed here) where running non-sandboxed apps end up requiring a reboot into recovery mode and a Terminal command. That's how I've got Bartender running in recent years. If and when that day comes, we won't be able to expect (or recommend!) that our customers do something like that in order to run 1Password. That would be a bridge too far for most people, and frankly at that point we'd be a bit hypocritical having users disable security restrictions in order to install software they'd ostensibly be using to be more secure. So this way, while we can't plan for everything or predict the future, we -- and our customers -- are at least ready for that eventuality.

I'm glad this change isn't a dealbreaker for you, and hope it isn't for others.

And hopefully if and when Apple moves further in this direction, there are frameworks in place to accommodate my beloved Bartender too. :lol:

• DavidShepherdson
    DavidShepherdson
    Community Member
    Options

we're almost certainly not going to revert this change. The hard work is already done

Yes, definitely, and I would not expect you to go back on that (apologies if that wasn't clear from my earlier comments). I certainly realise that it makes sense from a business perspective, even just from a 'buzzword compliance' angle that would clearly be important for a security-based company, if nothing else.

Personally, I think it would be a sad day if Apple imposed restrictions or 'penalties' on non-sandboxed applications (and if there wasn't a Terminal command or equivalent to turn it off, that might be the point at which I have to seriously consider whether I could cope with switching to Linux… or doing most of my work in a VM running an older version of the OS…) -- but then, a lot of the software I rely on the most has made it clear that sandboxing is not an option for them (BBEdit, Keyboard Maestro, Path Finder…), and I turn off SIP so I can tweak certain things, plus I use various pieces of open-source software that is not code-signed, so I realise I'm not exactly fitting into the pattern of the 'average' Mac user. :-)

Thank you for the thoughtful comments, everyone! (And of course thank you for 1Password.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, definitely, and I would not expect you to go back on that (apologies if that wasn't clear from my earlier comments). I certainly realise that it makes sense from a business perspective, even just from a 'buzzword compliance' angle that would clearly be important for a security-based company, if nothing else.

@DavidShepherdson: No worries. I figured we were on the same page here, but wanted to be clear in case others are curious about this. Thanks for bearing with me. :)

Personally, I think it would be a sad day if Apple imposed restrictions or 'penalties' on non-sandboxed applications (and if there wasn't a Terminal command or equivalent to turn it off, that might be the point at which I have to seriously consider whether I could cope with switching to Linux… or doing most of my work in a VM running an older version of the OS…) -- but then, a lot of the software I rely on the most has made it clear that sandboxing is not an option for them (BBEdit, Keyboard Maestro, Path Finder…), and I turn off SIP so I can tweak certain things, plus I use various pieces of open-source software that is not code-signed, so I realise I'm not exactly fitting into the pattern of the 'average' Mac user. :-)

This is probably a discussion for another time and place, but I would be shocked if whatever their next OS is (not 10.14, but something completely different) isn't basically like iOS in this regard. If they don't create a new OS, I think you're right that they won't ever make it impossible to run arbitrary code on a Mac, but it wouldn't take much to put it beyond reach of all but us nerds.

Thank you for the thoughtful comments, everyone! (And of course thank you for 1Password.)

Hey, likewise, thanks for the perspective, and for your support. We couldn't do what we do without it, and...well, if we could it still wouldn't be as fun. :)

This discussion has been closed.