New iPhone - how do I use Authenticator App to access /my.1password.com/

Options
wynter_b
wynter_b
Community Member

Have a new iPhone - I can login to the /my.1password.com/ wiht all the details correctly, but the next screen askes me to Enter the 6-digit authentication code from your authenticator app. But the Code on my new phone does not work.

Additonally I requested help for this 48 hours ago by email and then sent a followup by email over 24 hours ago. I don't mind the subscription model, but when I first purchased 1 Password in 2011, support was swift and helpful, but this time its been a vacuum. This is quite worrying when you've piled quite a bit of money into the software over the years - particualy when faced with a significant issue such as accessing my account.

I'd really appreciate some help with making sure I have full access to my account please.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.1.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options
  • wynter_b
    wynter_b
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @iamecho - lets hope we have a rapid solution!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wynter_b - I'm sorry for the trouble and for the delay in our reply. The rollout of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows was not too long ago, and in the meantime Apple has also rolled out macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), so we're dealing with a spike in the number of support requests. We answer email support requests based on who's been waiting the longest, which is judged by the time-stamp on the most-recent message. So if you email us and then keep emailing, you're just bumping yourself to the back of the queue each time.

However, I'm here now, and happy to help. Usually, authenticator code errors are a function of system time clock discrepancies -- each code lasts only 30 seconds, so if you have a system time clock on the app that contains your Authenticator app that's off from the server time clock (adjusted for time zones), then the code will not match and authentication will fail. Can you check the time clock on your iPhone and make sure it's recently synced with the timer sever? Thanks.

ref: https://agilebits.cerb.me/profiles/ticket/MVC-59744-722/conversation

• wynter_b
    wynter_b
    Community Member
    Options

The clock on the iPhone and the McaBook are both set automatically and I can confirm that they are to the second matchng with each other. The iPhone is a new one after the original wiht the authenticator broke. I have logged into Google and changed the phone to the new one. I have the Secret Answer stuff from setting up the account - so perhaps I can use that in some way?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wynter_b

The iPhone is a new one after the original wiht the authenticator broke.

That will be the reason, then -- you no longer have the correct code in the authenticator app because it wasn't transferred from the older, broken one.

I have the Secret Answer stuff from setting up the account - so perhaps I can use that in some way?

You mean from setting up your Google Authenticator app? Or your 1Password account?

What I'm hoping here is that you still have access to an authorized browser on one of your devices. If you do, you can sign in using only your Master Password and then turn off 2FA temporarily and re-set it up with your new Authenticator app. Is that a possibility?

• wynter_b
    wynter_b
    Community Member
    Options

No such luck Im afraid - I have an iPhone and a MacBook

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wynter_b - right. But did you access your 1password.com account from any browser on your MacBook? You must have done so at least once, when you were setting things up. Assuming you haven't emptied out your browser cache, it might still be possible to access your account from a browser with nothing more than the Master Password, if the browser is still authorized. You'll know, if you visit your sign-in URL (https://my.1password.com if you have an individual account) and you just see the lock screen. Try your default/favorite browser first, then try others, if you have any. The options get considerably thinner if this doesn't work.

• wynter_b
    wynter_b
    Community Member
    Options

That a no from Safari, Chrome, firefox and opera - I do web work which required me to clear my cache regularly on all browsers. Its actually literally the reason I have 1Password for the very reason that I clear my browsers almost weekly

• wynter_b
    wynter_b
    Community Member
    Options

So at this stage @Lars - all I have is the Emergency Kit with the word: "Once you fill in your Master Password, the details below can be used to sign in to your 1Password account in an emergency." Lets hope we can successfully restore with that!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wynter_b - Since this will involve discussing your personal email address and other details, it's best if we don't conduct this from here forward on this public forum. Please send us an email at support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread, so we can "connect the dots."

• wynter_b
    wynter_b
    Community Member
    Options

Done!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wynter_b - I see that. Thanks. One of us will be with you shortly.

ref: SVL-35814-145

This discussion has been closed.