Up until recently the extension was working. Yesterday when I opened Chrome, I was asked to authorize the browser. I confirmed that the 6 numbers that were in the little window were the same as what was displayed in the browser. I have had this happen every great once in a while and once authorized things worked just fine. However, this time when I went to use the extension, it didn't work. It shows nothing when I click on it. So I began to see if others had this problem.
I found a suggestion by @bundtkate to check the Help | Advanced | Use Native Messaging Protocol setting. I did and found that the option wasn't checked. I've never changed this option, because I don't know what it does. So I changed the option from "Use Web-socket Protocol" and opened Chrome (it was closed), I didn't get the authorize message. But the extension still doesn't work. So I went back to the 1Password v188.8.131.526 and discovered that I could literally do nothing in the program. It was as if the mouse was wanting to be somewhere else, i.e. inside the Chrome browser. I closed 1Password and restarted it. When I attempted to type in the password in 1Password, the cursor actually moved out of 1Password and to the edit field in the Chrome browser. I also noticed that anything (I mean this quite literally) with a popup stopped functioning as it normally did. I could not keep the popup open to click on anything and my mouse acts strange (like it is really slow to respond to movement). I'm not sure how all of this is related, but somehow it is. Because when I changed the option in 1Password back to the Web-socket Protocol everything goes back to normal. I should add that the strange things I mention only occur when Chrome is open. When Chrome is closed, things go back to working normal.
I have re-installed 1Password with version 184.108.40.2065 and updated it to 626 and reinstalled Chrome and I have removed and reinstalled the extension. Nothing has worked. There were two things that I have done to my computer recently that Windows 10 told me I needed to fix: 1) something concerning the firewall wasn't enabled, so I enabled this and 2) something concerning Windows Defender wasn't updated, so I updated it.