Syncing Issues: No progress indicator [Fixed in 4.5.1] and dual sync system [Not coming back]

Options
Vintagetonez
Vintagetonez
Community Member
edited May 2014 in iOS

Currently in the iOS beta for 1Password the gear does not turn and there are no status bar for progress sitting sync. Is this going to be fixed?

Also you can only sync with one option. In public release I can sync with iCloud and Dropbox concurrently. Is this going to be brought back?

Comments

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member
    Options

Good point, I like the added safety net of knowing that if Dropbox fails it will go via iCloud or vice versa

• We are currently discussing bringing the spinning gear back in upcoming betas, thanks for that feedback!

Due to a change we had to make within our sync framework, starting with version 4.5 syncing will only be available via one option.

• liconutowas
    liconutowas
    Community Member
    Options

What was really useful was the little status bar below the syncing mechanism indicating the sync status. Will you ad that back in?

• We may, but not in the short term. We do have an improvement coming out in 4.5.1 which uses the iOS activity indicator to show when we're syncing.

• liconutowas
    liconutowas
    Community Member
    Options

why not?

Also, where do I find information about this new opvault file thing?

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

@MrRooni‌
    Since you are not bringing back "dual-sync" can you at least give us an option to not delete the dropbox data from the phone when switching to a different sync option?

I have a Mac with no access to dropbox due to company firewall filtering and one Windows machine which of course can't do iCloud.
    So there are legit usage scenarios which requires "dual-sync" I think you should consider supporting these kinds of usage scenarios.

Currently it is very painful to have to re-sync the entire dropbox data whenever I switch back and forth between dropbox and iCloud.
    It takes a long time to re-sync to dropbox and it frequently fails due to dropbox rate limitations.

So can we have option not to delete dropbox data from phone when sync is changed to iCloud?

• @liconutowas‌ Sorry for the terse reply, it's been a busy few days here at AgileBits headquarters, post-launch. To answer your question of, "why not?", we have a handful of issues that we're working to get sorted out for version 4.5.1 that simply must take higher priority. 4.5.1 is going to have a quick turnaround and implementing some additional sync progress (beyond what we've already added for 4.5.1) doesn't fit within that timeline.

In terms of the new .opvault support when syncing via Dropbox, it's kind of an unannounced feature. Let me see if I can get some steps for you on how you can enable it.

• @rolfl‌ I'm sorry for the trouble the loss of dual-sync is giving you. I will open a ticket regarding the option to not delete the Dropbox data when disabling sync and we'll see if we can get some improvements here.

• MrRooni
    edited September 2014
    Options

@liconutowas Here are some steps to get an opvault to Dropbox:

On Mac, setup syncing with iCloud. Navigate to ~/Library/Mobile Documents/2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword/ and copy the onepassword_data folder to Dropbox. Once you've got it on Dropbox rename the onepassword_data to 1Password.opvault.

If you're on Windows:

1. File > New 1Password Vault
    2. Change "Save As" dropdown from agilekeychain to opvault
    3. Press "Save"
  • rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni Thank you, hoping for a quick fix

• liconutowas
    liconutowas
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, but why would I want to do that if my current setup works just fine? ;-) Are there security enhancements?

• MrRooni
    edited April 2014
    Options

@liconutowas‌ There is no reason to change if you're current setup is working fine, I was responding to your request for information on .opvault.

• liconutowas
    liconutowas
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

sorry, my fault. ;-) Was a bit rude.

Ok, but what are the implications? Any security implications? Any other stuff? This thing seems to be flying under the radar right now. ;-)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@liconutowas‌

I changed to .opvault following the above instructions. The only issue I'm seeing so far is that deletion of attachments doesn't sync: they remain on the other device even when I've deleted it on another. I should probably make a thread in the Mac section about that.

You can read about the new .opvault format here:

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @liconutowas,

Xe997's link will explain the benefits of the new .opvault format. It takes advantage of all the security improvements we've made in 1Password 4, such as 256-bit AES along with an authenticated encryption method that prevents data tampering, a much faster sync experience because we only have to deal with a 16-band file structure instead of hundreds or thousands of smaller files in .agilekeychain format, and many other benefits that is explained in that doc.

We will be phasing out .agilekeychain format everywhere once we get 1Password 4 app out for all platforms that can read the new .opvault format.

• liconutowas
    liconutowas
    Community Member
    Options

does the 1pw for win beta as well as 1p anywhere both support opvault?

• MrRooni
    Options

The new version of 1Password for Windows (currently in beta) does support .opvault. 1PasswordAnywhere is not currently available when using .opvault.

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@MrRooni‌ To help with swapping between sync on iCloud/Dropbox I tried using opvault in hope that drop box resync would be quicker with fewer files.

Unfortunately on 1P-Windows it takes 20 seconds with spinning circle to display the Logins category and the All folder.
    I have about 800 entries in the Login category.

Can you file a ticket on speeding up opvault on windows?

• MrRooni
    Options

Good morning @rolfl‌, I have talked with our Windows dev and passed along your report. He is aware of the problem and will be working to get it taken care of. He did let me know that .opvault isn't 100% supported in the Windows beta yet, so please take precautions that you normally would with a beta (having redundant data backups, etc.)

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni Thanks for checking on win .opvault status. I guess I will wait with .opvault until at least the speed issue is taken care of.

Any more details on what's missing in .opvault support on win?

Any chance you can keep an updated sticky somewhere with current .opvault support status?

• MrRooni
    Options

@rolfl‌ Your best bet for additional information about .opvault support in 1Password for Windows is to post about it specifically in the Windows forum here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/1password-windows-beta-builds

The Windows team will be sure to pick up the discussion and will be better equipped to answer your questions. Thanks!

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni Any progress on keeping local dropbox data when changing sync method?

I had to switch to WiFi Sync as iCloud sync caused conflicts.

• MikeT
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @rolfl,

No news on that yet, it's not a trivial change but we'll notify you guys in the changelog when we add this to the app.

However, iCloud sync shouldn't be causing any conflicts. Can you explain more about what's going on there in a separate thread, so we can figure this out.

Thanks!

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT seems it wasn't an iCloud issue, something was causing conflicts to refuse to clear after being deleted and WiFi had the same issue. Finally got them cleared. Switching back to iCloud for now.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @rolfl,

Interesting, thanks for the update, please keep us informed of your progress.

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni @MikeT Dropbox
    Failure to complete initial sync is getting quite bad. Not been possible to complete full sync this evening.

Any progress on keeping a cached copy of dropbox data in iOS version when swapping sync methods?

Any progress on getting windows beta .opvault performance improved. Windows beta forum deny existence of .opvault support in beta so I have to ask you.

I believe .opvault is critical to stabilize dropbox sync capability. Agilkeychain 2000 file sync seems to be just too much for dropbox to handle.
    Please, please put .opvault cross-platform support on the high priority list.

• MrRooni
    Options

I'm sorry @rolfl‌, I wish I had something for you, but there's nothing to report yet. Unfortunately this is not a quick problem to solve and requires more resources than we have available to put on it at the moment. That being said, we have been having some discussion internally about how to speed up the initial download and sync and ways to mitigate Dropbox rate limiting.

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni Thanks for the update. I'm just waiting for windows performance issue to be fixed and then I would switch to .opvault. (Not using android at the moment)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @rolfl‌,

It might be a while before we fix the performance issue, this has to do with the increased encryption strength. We have to optimize the code and that's going to take a while.

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

@‌MikeT

Looks like windows has made great improvement on .opvault performance now 2-5 sec vs 30+ sec when switching between categories and folders :-)

I believe .opvault also may prevent the duplicated fields I get when WiFi syncing, can you confirm?

I think I'm about to switch to .opvault, any gotchas I should know about? (Other than the obvious this is not production etc. etc.)

This discussion has been closed.