Order of suggested passwords in menu

Options
bstackhouse
bstackhouse
Community Member

The suggested passwords in the menu do not seem to have any order. I've tried prefixing entries with numbers. For some sites that works. I have some marked as favorites, but they do not show at the top of the list. The favorites menu shows all favorites, not just for the current site which seems wrong, or not as helpful.

Is there a way to force an order to the passwords for a site? Gmail is an example where this would be helpful, but Facebook and many other sites (fir me at least) have multiple passwords.

Bill

Comments

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @bstackhouse‌,

The suggested passwords in the menu do not seem to have any order. I've tried prefixing entries with numbers. For some sites that works. I have some marked as favorites, but they do not show at the top of the list.

This is likely caused by subdomain matching. Could you please try enabling the Lenient URL matching option under Preferences > Browser? Let me know if that helps. :)

• JeremyBechtold
    JeremyBechtold
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP, this ^^^ appears to have worked for me. thanks.

I keep gmail credentials for a dozen+ clients and friends saved in 1P and mine were always too far down on the list to spot easily. I usually had to scroll a bit even after clicking the show more link. and yes, I've thought recently about moving all my clients' data to another vault, but between ftp passwords, email accounts, all sorts of logins, etc., it would be a nightmare to maintain when everything else apart from custom sorting based on the title is perfect.

though I would second the ability to prefix items with a space, and asterisk, or something simple that would simply promote items higher in the list. using the finder's ordering logic would probably be the best option, as people looking for this feature are probably those who also use it in their system elsewhere.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JeremyBechtold‌

Thanks so much for adding your feedback here! I'm glad to hear that Lenient URL matching has worked for you. Another solution would be to ensure that your Logins are updated with the correct domains so that you can take advantage of the precise domain matching feature, which can come in very handy for sites you may have multiple Logins saved for various subdomains.

In any case, I'm happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers.

• bstackhouse
    bstackhouse
    Community Member
    Options

lenient url matching worked for me as well. then i looked at the urls saved and some were domain.org and some were www.domain.org. seems that was good enough to locate all the right entries, but not to order them without lenient url matching set. i almost would call that a bug.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bstackhouse,

There should be no difference between www.domain.org and domain.org. I've done some testing here, and I'm unable to recreate what you are seeing. Is it perhaps sub1.domain.com and www.sub2.domain.com?

• JeremyBechtold
    JeremyBechtold
    Community Member
    Options

indeed @Megan‌,

the issue with ordering outside of having subdomains falls harder when you're in the case, like mine, of having 20+ gmail logins that don't have the benefit of having any subdomains. they all go to google.com or gmail.com...

what would be ideal is the ability to use those finder-similar techniques many osx power-users are used to and specify some particular order to how things appear if prefixed by certain characters. the one thing I have found and I'm not sure it's legit or just coincidental, is that items I've starred as faves seem to come to the top now. I'll second that request because even though I'm back in business in terms of having the items I want at the top of the list, that could just be coincidence. it might be as simple (in suggestion for preferences/interface, I'm not a dev so I can't say it'd be easy to implement) as setting a prefs checkbox that says: browser items list in order of... recently updated, alphabetical, favorites then alpha, etc...

thoughts?

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, Jeremy. I will pass this along to our developers. :)

• paul7
    paul7
    Community Member
    Options

What I would like is something like Launchbar for 1Password. ie. 1Password remembers how often you use a certain login and list those first (within the same domain, such as gmail), or lists the favorites first. "Intelligent" listing instead of just alphabetically.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback!

The items in 1Password mini are sorted using three criteria — subdomain matching, favorites, and alphabetical order.

When a page is active in your web browser, the logins for that website will be displayed in this order (by default):

1. Favorites (subdomain match)
    2. Alphabetical order (subdomain match)
    3. Favorites (same domain, but different subdomain)
    4. Alphabetical order (same domain, but different subdomain)

If "Lenient URL matching" (under Preferences > Browser) is enabled, subdomains will be ignored, and the sort order will be:

1. Favorites (for any subdomain on domain.com)
    2. Alphabetical order (for any subdomain on domain.com)
  • JeremyBechtold
    JeremyBechtold
    Community Member
    Options

awesome. thanks for the sorting criteria info! quite helpful. if any of the sorting "tricks" were to be incorporated, that would be ideal. I don't say this to harp on the subject, but rather just to provide more real-world feedback about how your users use the app. I might be the only one doing this, or I might be representative of the majority. that, I wouldn't know. since I mentioned above all the gmail accounts, here's how I title my gmail instances for all my clients:

• gmail - clientname_or_initials

or in the case of a google or godaddy account

• google analytics - clientname_or_initials
    • godaddy - clientname_or_initials

...so with the potential list of some of those escaping the dozen count range, it's helpful to have some sort of granular control. while I'm in current dev for a client's site, I might access their godaddy account 20-30 times in 60 days, and then not again for months or years, just keeping it as a backup. in those cases, being able to temporarily prefix the client name with an extra space after the hyphen would be ideal. then when the project ended, I'd just remove the space to push it back down in the list to a regular alpha sort. in the case of my own gmail/google/maps/youtube, I was fine with giving that a unique name, but until I turned on the lenient url matching, it was way down in the list, mixed up amongst the rest. the lenient matching helped me, but until I go looking for another I cannot be sure that it'll stay that way amongst the rest. my menubar access seems to be doing things how I'd expect them. but figured any add'l real-world feedback would be helpful. things are working perfectly for me right now, just take what you need from the info within and ignore what isn't helpful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JeremyBechtold‌

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to hear that everything is working perfectly for you right now - if that ever changes, you know where to find us. :)

• wolverine
    wolverine
    Community Member
    Options

I have over 100 password sites. They are always arranged in alphabetical order, which is great, but I use only a few regularly, like my bank, which I must scroll down to and find. I realize I could change the title to 1bank and it would show up first, but if there was a revolving list of 10 most frequently used, then a sub-list of ALL alphabetized, I think that would be useful. Or a recently used list, similar to PC start menu which lists recent files used.

Thanks!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Does it help to make those items favourites? You can manually order those as you wish.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JeremyBechtold,

while I'm in current dev for a client's site, I might access their godaddy account 20-30 times in 60 days, and then not again for months or years, just keeping it as a backup. in those cases, being able to temporarily prefix the client name with an extra space after the hyphen would be ideal. then when the project ended, I'd just remove the space to push it back down in the list to a regular alpha sort.

Could temporarily marking the item as a Favorite be an alternative to temporarily space-prefixing its title for cases like that?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wolverine,

Thanks for your feedback and request. I've merged it with another topic that has some information about item sorting in 1Password mini. I hope it's helpful. :)

• JeremyBechtold
    JeremyBechtold
    Community Member
    Options

Could temporarily marking the item as a Favorite be an alternative to temporarily space-prefixing its title for cases like that?

Hi @sjk‌, possibly...

though similar hangups might make it a little rough for some sites. some of the ones mentioned above already have 4-5 favorites for myself and family entries (especially the gmail or google account instances) so the temp fave option would put them into that top group, but since it only shows so many, they might still be 'below the fold' or push another permanent fave there as well. that might be the same situation though as promoting them via title to the top of the list, so I'll have to play with it. temp fave is worth a peek though, good thought!

• JeremyBechtold
    JeremyBechtold
    Community Member
    Options

@wolverine‌, I think that @Stephen_C‌'s suggestion makes the most sense for you. I'm wondering why yours are described in a sort of hodgepodge list? if the site is recorded properly in 1P then shouldn't only the logins that are relevant be presented? or are you talking about when you invoke the mini menu bar item first and it opens the browser window/tab for you?

that would make sense. I think favorites probably solves your problem right there. in fact, going one step further, maybe alfred, quicksilver, or launchbar could do that first step for you rather than requiring you to invoke the 1P mini and then find the proper record in the list?

for example, I know alfred has a great 1P module where if you wanted to not even worry about making an item a fave, you could just invoke alfred, start typing "gol" (for example for goliath national bank) and the 1P entry would present itself and allow you to go straight to that entry in your browser. it's the kind of thing that 1P does that works really well with launchers like those I mentioned. those launchers allow you to specify shortcuts or they simply learn what gets used most and run with that.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JeremyBechtold,

Instead of temporarily marking items as Favorites, might another option be to (temporarily) create 1Click Bookmarks (1Password 3 doc, but it's essentially the same with 1Password 4) for them? And what about making use of the 1Password module in any of the apps you helpfully suggested to @wolverine (thanks!)? Still trying to think of ways you could avoid having to choose specific Login items of interest from longer lists of multiple items by using more direct access methods, although it looks like we may have covered all the options now. :)

• JeremyBechtold
    JeremyBechtold
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk‌ ... wow. somehow I missed the whole 1-click bookmarks thing back then. that's awesome. that would be perfect for temp usage (since I'm always in one browser, usually at my desk, when the need is there for work).

yeah, I think we got it covered! cheers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JeremyBechtold‌

I'm so glad to hear that @sjk's solution helped you out. Those 1Click Bookmarks are pretty awesome.

If you have any further questions, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.