Something other than copy & paste

Options
nasaby
nasaby
Community Member

I'd like to make a suggestion. In short, 1Password needs to either have its own keyboard or it needs to somehow plug in to a system keyboard. Or, possibly it could mmake use of the notification drawer. I may be alone in finding copy and paste from 1Password (and other password apps) to another app an unacceptably inconvenient way of interacting on a phone. Each app on a smartphone is more like a browser with a single purpose. Since it would be impossible to write a pluginfor every app, there needs to be some other way of filling login information. This open app, search for login, copy username, home key, long hold, select app, long hold, select paste, long hold home key, select 1Password, copy password, long hold home, select app, input password business is too much.

Comments

• Hi @nasaby!

Thank you for your feedback. The idea you’re presenting is awesome! It would be really nice to be able to easily access your data in 1Password across the full operating system.

I will definitely pass on this information to the development team and get their input on it. :)

• twaddington
    twaddington
    Community Member
    Options

Copy and paste also exposes your clipboard data to all installed applications as I mentioned here:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/19059/security-question

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member
    Options

@twaddington that's why we're looking into it. Hopefully we will be able to implement something both easy and secure. Thanks again for your feedback!

• nasaby
    nasaby
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you all for your positive and constructive responses. I wasn't feeling too well the day I posted this (Samsung Kies bricked my S4 so I was up late the night before trying to get my phone back) and was concerned that I wrote something unhelpful. I've been afraid to look!

Twaddington, that would mean that if you have a direct input method such as a keyboard, you would not expose clipboard data to all installed apps, right?

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @nasaby,

A separate keyboard is a really nice idea, as @Saad said. We're looking for the right solution, I hope we can find something that works well for everyone.

@twaddington, if you have a definitive answer to nasaby's question I'm sure our devs are interested in hearing it! :)

• nasaby
    nasaby
    Community Member
    Options

Since I just received an email from Nik asking for "showstoppers," I thought I'd bump this thread because, at least for me, this is a showstopper. Not only is it a security issue, as twaddington points out, but it is supremely inconvenient. I do hope that a built-in browser is not the solution. While a browser is nice, many of us need log in information for dedicated apps. For instance, I access many forums via Tapatalk, my bank has a perfectly serviceable app, I shop on Amazon and NewEgg fairly regularly and can use their apps, even my local supermarket and pharmacy have apps, Twitter: app. In fact, I very seldom use a browser on my phone.

If this is going to be a paid app, there needs to be a secure way of entering information across apps. For people like me, it makes much more sense to pay for Lastpass (the Android app has its own keyboard) than to pay for an app like 1Password for Android. In that sense, the little piece of missing functionality is a showstopper.

• bwl21
    bwl21
    Community Member
    Options

One thing which makes entering username / password cumbersome is the fact that I need to unlock 1password again after copying the first part.

as of now I need to

1. open 1password
    2. find the login
    3. tap to the triangle on the right of username
    4. tap to "copy"
    5. switch to app
    6. paste username
    7. switch to 1password
    8. unlock 1password
    9. tap to triangle on the right of password
    10. tap to "copy"
    11. switch back to app to paste password

Issue could be solved by an approach like this:

1. open 1password
    2. find the login
    3. push a button labeled copy username + password
    4. switch to target app, paste username
    5. switch back to 1password - 1password saves password in clipboard
    6. switch back to app paste password

If user does not return within a minute for step 5, process is cancelled.

The method could be enabled in the settings in case a user wants to avoid the (introduced IMHO) minimal Security risk.

Bernhard

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I agree that this is a must have, from the inconvenience and security point of view but also because your flagship product will up being significantly less functional than that of your competitors.

• saad
    Options

I think the best approach in this case is to avoid the copy and paste mechanism as much as possible. A built-in browser is not the perfect solution, but it would help. We are thinking more along the lines of having an input method editor (IME) or a popup overlay to fill in apps. @bwl21 pointed out a pretty sweet idea too! These are options still being reviewed by our dev team, and we really appreciate all of your feedback.

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

I'm also a beta tester for Android and please correct me if I'm wrong - is there any other way than copy-paste in order to login over 1Password for Android? I haven't found any so I assume that there isn't so far.

On another note - let me express my opinion about built-in browser - I spent some time with my friend's iPad (I encouraged him to try 1Password for iOS) and it works like a charm. I found this solution user friendly and I reckon there's no need to abandon this option in connection with Android version.

Of course it would be great if there are plugins for most of Android browsers (same as in Widnows version) but I don't mind that. Built-in is good enough to me :)

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for input method editor

• dave031
    dave031
    Community Member
    Options

I bet you folks could come up with something even more convenient than what lastpass just released:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/03/29/recent-lastpass-upgrade-for-android-will-make-iphone-users-jealous/

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Gregs
    Gregs
    Community Member
    Options

WOW!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I have to say, I hope you've got something in the works for this. LastPass seem to have gotten the march on you here.

• saad
    Options

Thanks for your feedback @artoor, and thank you for your support of 1Password. I'm glad you like the 1Browser on iOS! We are looking into providing a similar browser experience for our Android users too, as well as finding other ways to make 1Password more universal throughout the operating system.

• teacy123
    teacy123
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, some food for thought around this topic: http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/01/mobile-app-usage-increases-in-2014-as-mobile-web-surfing-declines/
    This is also completely in line with my personal usage. While I was surfing the web on my Mac 2 years ago, nowadays I am using 2 dozen apps (Skype, Facebook, Tapatalk, VCR remote programming, digital newspaper subscription, online banking, ...) on my Android phone or iPad. I.e. as nice as a built-in browser is, it is not very relevant already, and will become even less relevant tomorrow. IMHO you could drop all efforts on this and invest fully in an application agnostic input method (with the browser being one of many apps). The LastPass demo made me drool (and honestly: calculate how much time it would take me to migrate my most important logins)

• ErikE
    ErikE
    Community Member
    Options

Not having the automatic fill in on android is the reason I don't have unique passwords everywhere.

I'm not abandoning ship for LastPass just yet, but please don't leave beta without this...

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

While I was surfing the web on my Mac 2 years ago, nowadays I am using 2 dozen apps (Skype, Facebook, Tapatalk, VCR remote programming, digital newspaper subscription, online banking, ...) on my Android phone or iPad. I.e. as nice as a built-in browser is, it is not very relevant already, and will become even less relevant tomorrow. IMHO you could drop all efforts on this and invest fully in an application agnostic input method (with the browser being one of many apps)

While I agree with the conclusion (that 1P needs a better fill method), the justification is dodgy. The trouble with apps fronting to a website is that they take time and money to develop. I suspect that as web developers get used to the techniques involved in responsive web layout then feature rich websites in a browser will become more popular again.

• teacy123
    teacy123
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Richard,
    that would be a lot of reverting back until the majority of my logins would be in the browser again :-)

For sake of comparison:

Logins in my web browser (on my Android phone):

1. One of my banking websites

2. A dating website

Logins in Apps:

1. Facebook - Don't think they will switch back to website, that's where they came from and the app is offline capable and very responsive

2. Evernote - Not a front-end to a website

3. Play Store/Google+/YouTube/Play Music - all tied to my Google account with SSO, not really counting them... would lose functionality if turned into websites

4. Vodafone Cloud - Cannot be turned into a web app

5. Sony Video Unlimited - Not sure how they would deal with DRM, etc. if this was a website

6. Amazon Kindle/Amazon Store - Nice offline capability and very responsive, don't think they would revert back to website

7. Xperia Lounge/Privilege - Could probably be turned into a website, looks like a thin wrapper now already

8. DB Navigator (German railway) - Used to be a website, but spent the money to tie in nicely with Android UI/UX guidelines

9. Tapatalk - the whole purpose of their existence is not to be a website :-)

10. Dropbox - cannot be replaced with website

11. Skype - cannot be replaced with website

12. KDG Manager (German cable TV, VCR remote programming) - a thinly veiled website, but for some reason they chose to handle login in the native
      part of the app

13. Flinkster carsharing - a meticulously built app with maps, location tracking, payment - could probably be converted into website with some loss of functionality

14. VMWare View - cannot be replaced with website

15. Handyticket (public transport ticket purchasing) - requires native OS notifications combined with current location

16. Tagesschau (TV streaming and video on demand) - could be built as a website, but they chose to tie in nicely with Android UI/UX guidelines

17. heise online (news site + forum reader) - Similar to Tapatalk but limited to 5 magazines. Could be built as a website, but might have less offline capabilities then

18. Microsoft OneDrive - cannot be replaced with website

19. Flickr - Can be replaced with website, but for some reason the app still exists...

20. Targobank - Online banking. Some parts are a thinly veiled website, but the core payment functionalities are all native

21. 1Password - Oh, wait, that would be a hen-and-egg problem :-)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@teacy123 I wasn't suggesting that apps will die out. Like you said, anything that needs offline functionality needs them for a start. Nor can non-web based services be replaced.
    However, that doesn't change the fact that a very large number of apps that require login are little more than fronts for a webservice which could be replaced with a website using modern technologies. Will we see mass conversions from app to web? No, unlikely because that is more work. Will we see continued proliferation of apps for websites? I doubt it.

• wolfigang
    wolfigang
    Community Member
    Options

The new LastPass-Solution is so f...ing great, please look into this!

This alone is a valid reason to use LastPass instead of 1Password as an Android user.

• mverde
    Options

@wolfigang‌ Our development team is always looking for ways to bring 1Password functionality to more of Android. We are currently exploring similar ideas.

• nasaby
    nasaby
    Community Member
    Options

So, what has come of this? I've only just now noticed that V4 is out and this feature - an essential feature! - is not even part of the paid package. I'm seriously dissappointed! For me, the most common task for a password manager on my phone is entering passwords. If it can't do that properly, it's not worth using. Unfortunately, I've got this feeling that 1Password is not going to be worth using... The Mac app is fantastic (although I wish it could generate memorable random passwords like Keychain!), but this app for Android is really not. :(

• saad
    Options

Hi @nasaby! Our development team has been looking into making 1Password more universal throughout the Android system. We have some great ideas that we are currently working on and we can’t wait to share it with you as soon as they become ready for beta testing. We are always listening to your feedback and if you have any further questions (or notice anything else cool and new out there that we need to know about) we're here for you.

• _CH_
    _CH_
    Community Member
    Options

@ saad - i would hope that the android version of this

(not mine, but was forwarded to me) is not too far behind
  • saad
    Options

We think filling in third-party browsers and other applications will improve the overall 1Password experience on mobile platforms. Our team is currently looking and testing new ways to accomplish this on the Android side. Our beta testers will be the first ones to know and get their hands on as soon as it’s ready.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

@saad‌
    Careful. That was almost a discussion of what you're working on! :p
    Seriously though, it's good to hear that you're actively working on it.

• saad
    Options

:)

• dave031
    dave031
    Community Member
    Options

As a stop gap for this feature I have been using copy bubble: www.google.com/search?q=copy%20bubble&gws_rd=ssl

It basically acts like a clipboard manager in that I can copy both the username and password and then paste them without needed to return to 1p.

What would be really cool was being able to have a floating option that would auto fill a login form if a match is founder give access to searching 1p to find a login. This is similar to the desktop browser extensions

• Charles Butcher
    Charles Butcher
    Community Member
    Options

I'm ignorant of the technology needed to copy information directly into apps, but I pricked up my ears at saad's mention of a "popup overlay to fill in apps".

The Co-op Bank app will not let me type in user info when I have Lux (screen brightness control) running, because it detects the overlay used by Lux and thinks it might be a security risk. This is the only app I've seen behaving in this manner, but it might become more common…

This discussion has been closed.