Sync with SpiderOak

Options
Johnpow2
Johnpow2
Community Member

How do you get 1Passwork to actually SYNC with SpiderOak Hive? I really need this answered because I tried Dropbox which totally failed to SYNC.

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi @Johnpow2,

Thanks for the question!

If you are syncing between Macs only, then you may be able to use other sync services, such as SpiderOak. That said, we have not tested these services, and can't provide direct support for troubleshooting anything that might go wrong with them specifically.

If you are syncing with an iOS device, then you will need to either use iCloud, Dropbox or a local Wifi connection to sync.

To sync with a third party sync service in 1Password 4 other than iCloud or Dropbox, give the following a try:

1. Open up 1Password and go into 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    2. Select Folder Sync and choose to save your 1Password.agilekeychain data file in the appropriate location for your sync service of choice.

Please make appropriate backups before trying to sync through any unsupported sync service by opening 1Password and clicking File > Backup > Backup Now.

Now, if you would like to give Dropbox sync another try, we would be more than happy to help get it up and running!

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Actually, it would appear Agile has tested SpiderOak:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/13286/feature-request-spideroak-support

You merely found, one year ago anyway, that it lacked the API's you need to properly sync with 1Password.

I've been using 1Password with Dropbox for years and have never had a problem. However, I am concerned about privacy and security. I'm certainly no terrorist or money launderer or worker of evil. But I honestly want to make it as hard as possible, if not impossible, for anyone to give even a tiny piece of my cloud stored information over to government, even "law enforcement." SpiderOak was recently endorsed by Snowden, which garnered my interest considerably:

http://www.businessinsider.com/edward-snowden-dropbox-2014-7

Have any new SpiderOak API's become available in the last year to make it feasible to use with 1Password? If not, what specific API's and features would be needed? (I only ask so I can write the good folks at SpiderOak an email to tell them to get to work on it. And perhaps of several hundred people who also read my post do the same, you never know, we might have a SECURE alternate Dropbox solution before we know it!)

This article mentions SpiderOak's "Crypton" application framework, which I assume could open the door to 1Password integration:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/17/spideroak-founder-privacy-ethan-oberman-edward-snowden

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JDW,

We are always looking for new sync solutions to provide our users with more sync options. Unfortunately, because we offer 1Password on so many platforms, a sync solution has to be pretty versatile in order to warrant consideration. First, the sync service must provide usable APIs for all the platforms we need to support (Mac, iOS, Windows and Android). Next, each sync service we want to add requires a lot of development and support resources. Even if a service does offer the requisite APIs, we need to be able to implement it within the existing architecture of 1Password. There have been cases where we have started development on a new sync solution, only to realize it was untenable for us. So, while we are always open to options, I don't have much of an update for you at this time.

In general though, I just wanted to assure you that no matter which sync solution you use, the security of your database does not depend on the security of the sync service. With 1Password, your entire data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. If you'd like, you can read all about the design of the 1Password keychain. :)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Megan.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

But please know that I have long been well aware that the encryption of my saved 1Password information on Dropbox is for the most part, with the technology we have today or can think of today, UNBREAKABLE. I am just thinking of that always desirable "second layer of security," which is defined as "preventing that unbreakable encrypted file from getting into someone else's hands in the first place."

With files stores on SpiderOak, it would appear that there encryption would completely mask knowledge of even what is stored there, whereas my files on Dropbox are encrypted but a hacker or the government know what kind of files they are (i.e., "he's got an encrypted file storing a 1Password GOLDMINE there on DropBox — while probably impossible, let's set our minds and NSA quantum computers toward hacking it).

Since it's not feasible to use 1Password on SpiderOak today, I shall remain content with DropBox (which is more convenient fir me than local syncing), but I look forward to the day something equivalent yet more secure comes along.

The perpetual truth of "where there's a determined will, there's away" should always keep us on our guard about keeping even encrypted files hidden from view.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @JDW,

Thanks for all the feedback! We're certainly looking into alternate cloud file storage and sync services to see if they can be an option for syncing your 1Password data, although we don't have anything specific to announce at the moment.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)

• twilcoxen
    twilcoxen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in with a +1 for SpiderOak. :) I'd also love to see you take a look at MaidSAFE and how that might one day fit in.

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @twilcoxen,

Your plus-one-interest-vote for SpiderOak sync support in 1Password has been noted, along with your suggestion to take a look at MaidSAFE. Thanks! :)

ref: OPI-1266

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to plug the forthcoming Peak Drive, having read the following article on it today:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/29/peak-drive/

It apparently will offer the convenience and Mac friendliness of DropBox with the "zero knowledge" encryption of SpiderOak. And with 1Password integration, who wouldn't want to switch to it?!

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for sharing, JDW! :)

• walquis
    walquis
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for SpiderOak sync support.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @walquis‌

Thanks for adding your vote here. :)

• seanbonner
    seanbonner
    Community Member
    Options

Adding another vote for Spideroak - Please add support for this as soon as possible. Thanks!

• Thanks for the vote @seanbonner‌. :)

• uilhao
    uilhao
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for spideroak, thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your +1 interest in SpiderOak sync support, @uilhao. :)

• leonroy
    leonroy
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for Spideroak!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your SpiderOak sync support vote's been counted, @leonroy. Thanks! :)

• sdotm
    sdotm
    Community Member
    Options

spideroak, pls

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sdotm,

Thanks for the vote! :)

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

I believe we should add Edward Snowden's vote as well...

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/11/edward-snowden-new-yorker-festival/

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @JDW. That's similar to what was mentioned in the July article you linked back then, and elsewhere. :)

• oliverr
    oliverr
    Community Member
    Options

spideroak +1

• Thanks for the feedback, @oliverr. I've added your vote. :)

• Georgec
    Georgec
    Community Member
    Options

Vote of spideroak as well.

• I've added your vote as well. Thanks!

• spam
    spam
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Spideroak

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's been noted you've voted, @spam -- thanks! :)

• andrewraphael
    andrewraphael
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for SpiderOak

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your SpiderOak support vote has been tallied, @andrewraphael -- thanks! :)

• michaelalx
    michaelalx
    Community Member
    Options

Bumping the thread for SpiderOak support, especially through android :)

This discussion has been closed.