Wi-Fi sync should be a priority

Options
Raffaello Alistair Rosselli Baslini
edited April 2014 in Mac

I really like the improvements that have been done to 1Password 4 lately, but I cannot help thinking that wi-fi sync is not being worked on enough.

In this day and age it's increasingly obvious that servers cannot be trusted with our most important data. Wi-fi sync should be one of the flagship features of 1Password. Yet it's still buggy, it's not easy to use as Dropbox or iCloud sync, and it's almost hidden in both 1Password for Mac and iOS.

• Wi-Fi sync should be automatic or at least faster to activate from the iOS app. At the moment it's buried 6 taps away in 1Password for iOS settings menu.
  • Attachements are still not syncing on wi-fi sync...
  • Maybe it's me, but changes seems to be handled worse on wi-fi sync. When I change a password on iOS, sometimes it's added as a second password when I sync, instead of being overwritten to the old one, as expected.
  • Generally, I would like to see more attention being payed to this great feature from the 1Password team.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Raffaello

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here. Wi-Fi sync is still a little bit new: version 4 was initially released without this option, but users missed it, so we brought it back. It has been completely re-designed since version 3 and it missed out on much of our pre-release beta testing, which means there is still a lot of room for improvement. :)

I'm so sorry that Wi-Fi sync has been causing you grief, and I'm happy to pass this feedback along to our developers. We want to ensure that you have a cloud-free option that is both secure and user-friendly.

• mbryne
    mbryne
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I second this, having not scoured the forum extensively I don't know if I have missed something but I just wanted to draw attention to this thread in particular:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16919/feature-request-automatic-wi-fi-sync

It appears discussions have been closed but without automatic wi-fi sync this tool just doesn't cut it for me, anything would be an improvement over the workflow as it stands:

On Mac: 1Password Taskbar Helper > Open 1Password > Window > Wifi Sync

On iOS: Open 1Password App > Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > Sync Using Wifi > Select Server > Sync Now

This is bananas!

I have no interest in storing all my passwords in the cloud and would welcome any improvement over the current workflow, have I missed something in the documentation that would make this easier? If not can I please get an update on this before my 30 day refund expires, as it stands I have just bought this app and it appears such a massive omission given that the discussion above was closed midway through last year it seems it is no longer an important issue for your team,

As I say, apologies if I missed something, please point me in the right direction if so,

Regards,
    Michael

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Michael ( @mbryne )

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here. I'm sorry that Wi-Fi sync is frustrating you right now. We are looking into ways to make Wi-Fi better for you all, but I can't say much more than that at this time. Your feedback has been passed along to our developers. :)

ref: OPI-866

• mackyuen
    mackyuen
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact sentiment with WiFi sync being buried too deep in 1P4. I much prefer the automatic WiFi sync in 1P3.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have a quirky setup at the moment which oddly automatic syncing would screw up. As currently you can only sync secondary vaults via Dropbox I import all entries from my single secondary vault into the primary, sync, then move them back to the secondary. That way I maintain the separation at least on the desktop while I wait for proper syncing of all vaults to iOS. As you can see that system falls apart completely if syncing was automated.

I suppose what I'd like to see is a complete Wi-Fi sync. Automatic is fine if it is capable of syncing primary and secondary vaults and attachments. When a user syncs two devices the natural assumption is that everything has synced unless explicitly informed otherwise. After you get the new versions for Yosemite and iOS 8 out it would be nice if some time was dedicated to the syncing options :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mackyuen‌ and @littlebobbytables‌

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here. I have passed them along to our developers.

ref: OPI-504

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Raffaello, @mbryne and @mackyuen‌,

I just wanted to update this thread with something I've posted elsewhere, just to make sure you all see it:

Our developers have made some awesome improvements to Wi-Fi sync lately! In our latest 1Password 4 for iOS beta release notes are the following improvements:

[NEW] Wi-Fi sync on iOS is now fully automatic.

[IMPROVED] Improved Wi-Fi sync to sync attachments. (Requires the latest beta of 1Password for Mac for Yosemite)

While these improvements are still in beta testing, we'll do what we can to release them to you all just as soon as possible - thanks for your patience!

@littlebobbytables‌, this change might require you to reconsider your setup. I'm not using the betas either at this time, but automatic sync will complicate matters for you.

Have you considered using Folders to organize your data all in one vault? If you are not sharing vaults with other users (which I assume you're not doing since that would be complicated without Dropbox), keeping all your data in one vault might be a simpler solution for you. We do hope to bring Wi-Fi syncing to secondary vaults, but I don't have a timeframe for completion there.

I'm sorry that I don't have a perfect solution for you here - please let me know what you think about this workaround!

• mackyuen
    mackyuen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the follow up @Megan.

Looking forward to see the new feature makes it's way to public release.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mackyuen‌

Hopefully you don't have much longer to wait! I look forward to hearing your thoughts when it is released.

Have a great day :)

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @Megan‌ Thanks for your response and how it may impact my specific setup. I haven't really looked at folders before but thought I'd do a little experiment and see. I could be wrong but on first inspection they seem to be like a less useful version of tags? (which I do make use of). Is there a document somewhere that explains the differences between how folders and tags are envisaged?

My primary reason for using a secondary vault was separation, so when I view the categories they're not being clogged up with both personal and work items. I can easily switch between the vaults using a keyboard shortcut making this quite appealing. Items in a folder however still appear in their respective category. If the goal is vault size management (for ease of browsing) am I mistaken in believing folders and tags aren't going to be useful? While I use tags mostly I navigate via the categories.

I'm assuming that automatic syncing will only occur if 1Password is active and the vault unlocked on both devices like it was before. If I'm careful I'm thinking I can probably keep my current setup until WiFi sync is fleshed out a bit more which I hope it will be. So while informing the developers of thanks for all the improvements remind them not to rest on their laurels ;)

• Hi @littlebobbytables‌,

I do believe the upcoming revamped Wi-Fi sync will only auto-sync when both 1Password for Mac (Yosemite) and 1Password for iOS (iOS 8) are both open, unlocked, and on the same network.

The steps you save are having to open that window on OS X and having to tap sync on iOS.

I have tried it myself yet (don't have the extra devices myself to run beta operating systems), but that is my understanding.

• palmerc
    palmerc
    Community Member
    Options

If you're looking for substantially better security in the cloud space you should be using two-step verification on iCloud and Dropbox. While I'm very reluctant to use a password only based solution, this gives me a degree of comfort.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @palmerc,

Is your comment for anyone specific or just in general? Either way, thanks for posting! :)

Even if two-step verification and other types of multi-factor authentication have potential issues their usage can still make you less of a casual target than not using them.

• Hi @palmerc‌,

In addition to what @sjk‌ said, I do want to point out that if you have two-step in use for Dropbox, we are compatible with it when you authorize our access to Dropbox via the Dropbox app.

• wifiluchador
    wifiluchador
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think this has been mentioned - I'd like to also request wifi syncing between Mac (or Windows, I guess) clients. Ideally I'd install 1password on one Mac and then 1password would run on another Mac(s) and just sync like my iOS devices on the same subnet. From my understanding you can sync 1password between Macs via iCloud or Dropbox, but I do not want to save my password database in the cloud. I actually just purchased 1password 4 and moving away from LastPass just for the local functionality.

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wifiluchador,

We would like to add support for Wi-Fi syncing directly between 1Password on Mac and Windows, without using 1Password on iOS as an intermediary. Although I can't make any promises of when that might be possible I'm happy to pass along your interest in this to our developers. Thanks!

ref: OPM-2091

This discussion has been closed.