Master Password Change not reflected on other computers or mobile devices

Options
twothreetwo
twothreetwo
Community Member

I am using 1Password across a number of devices. 2 iMacs (OSX Version 10.9.3), 1 Macbook Air (OSX Version 10.9.3), an iPhone 4 (OS 7.1.1), and an iPad mini (OS 7.1.1). 1PW on the iMacs and Macbook Air is Version 4.4.1 (441006) from the Mac App Store. All devices use DropBox to sync 1Password.

Recently I changed the master password while using the Macbook Air. Call it master-password-b. I can log into 1PW on that computer using master-password-b but all other devices only recognize my original master password (master-password-a). All login information and passwords are syncing correctly across all devices - except for the master password.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @twothreetwo,

The Master Password should sync across devices. Just to confirm, have you waited a while to ensure a sync has occurred? If you create a new Login item on your Mac, does it appear on your iPhone?

• twothreetwo
    twothreetwo
    Community Member
    Options

Its been almost a week since I changed it. New login items sync across all devices without issue. Since I know both master-password logins I still have access but it seems odd that the master passwords aren't matching up.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @twothreetwo,

Good to hear that syncing is working fine everywhere! Since that's the case, you could try "changing" the Master Password on your MacBook Air again to the current Master Password being used there and see if the change makes it through to the other devices this time around. Or change it on some other device and see if that syncs everywhere else. If it still isn't syncing somewhere then you can simply change it wherever it doesn't so it will be the same on all your devices. Whatever you end up doing we'd like to know the result. :)

Thanks!

• twothreetwo
    twothreetwo
    Community Member
    Options

Changed the master password on one of the iMacs and waited for it to sync. It changed and stuck but did not change on the other devices. I can manually change the MP in all instances but it seems strange that its not syncing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thanks for the followup testing and results, @twothreetwo.

I've filed a report for this issue of Master Password changes not syncing across devices and we'll let you know if there's any further information about it.

ref: CSI-5

• jpeccoud
    jpeccoud
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I am using iCloud synchronizaiton.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jpeccoud,

Can you describe the specific problem you're having with Master Password changes? For example, what did you change where and what didn't get synced? And are you having any other issues with syncing? The more detail you can provide will help us to isolate and fix the problems. :)

Thanks!

• marcange
    marcange
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have exactly the same problem : I use 1Password on:

• MacBook Air under OS X 10.9.4
    • iPhone 5S under iOS 7.1.2
    • iPad 2 under iOS 7.1.2
    • sync trough iCloud.

I changed my master password on the MacBook air but nothing has been changed on iPhone and iPad...
    I am very surprised by this bug !!!
    Could you send us some information directly trough email ?
    Thank's a lot.
    Marc

• marcange
    marcange
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

One point : on MacBook Air my master password has been changed 2 weeks ago...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Marc ( @marcange ),

I'm sorry that changing the Master Password for 1Password on your MacBook Air didn't sync it to 1Password for your iPhone and iPad. At the moment we suggest manually updating the Master Password on your iPhone and iPad to match the one on your MacBook Air. First update it on either your iPhone or iPad, give iCloud sync about 20-30 minutes to finish, then try the new Master Password on your other iOS device to see if it did get synced there. If not, also manually update it there.

Thanks for reporting this, and I apologize for the inconvenience while we continue to investigate the issue. If you still have more trouble please us know; we're here to help!

• marcange
    marcange
    Community Member
    Options

Hi SJK,
    I did what you proposed : I changed first my master password on my iPad. Then I waited quite 3 hours and I checked on my iPhone. The master password was not updated and I had to do it manually.
    It is a serious point to fix...
    Thank you

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @marcange.

Sorry to hear the Master Password (MP) change on your iPad didn't get synced with your iPhone. After making that change and waiting a few hours, did you first try unlocking using the new MP on your iPhone and when that didn't work did you unlock using the old MP, then manually change it to the new one?

When you open the Settings app and select General > Background App Refresh, are Background App Refresh and 1Password both enabled there? If not, that could explain why the MP change hadn't synced when you first tried the new MP.

In that case, after first unlocking using the old MP and making sure syncing has finished, then locking again, it should be possible to unlock using the new MP without having to manually change it. With Background App Refresh disabled on an iDevice, the MP change made on some other device/system can't be synced to it (the first iDevice) until after unlocking.

That could explain why your MP changes weren't synced the way you expected them to be.

• marcange
    marcange
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning and thank you for your message,
    I checked carefully all your technical issues and the answer is "yes" to all of them.
    Yes, after waiting a few hours I first try to unlock with the new MP. But, being unsuccessful, I had to change it manually.
    Yes, in the settings, the "background app refresh" and "1Password" are both enabled.
    So I'm afraid that there really is a bug...
    Thank you for your help...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the answers, @marcange.

Wish I had another explanation to offer for why your Master Password changes haven't synced. I wondered if it might be related to Background App Refresh but apparently that's not the case. I'm currently stumped and have asked my colleagues if they have more ideas where things are getting tangled up. I'll let you know! :)

• glawster11
    glawster11
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add my weight to the issue, I have exactly the same thing with a MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and iPhone 5S. I changed the Master Password manually first on the Macbook Pro, then some time later on the iPhone, then a day later on the Mac Mini. And, yes, Background App refresh and 1P are both enabled on the phone. I am a brand new user of 1P and have the latest OSs (Mavericks 10.9.4 and iOS7.1.2) installed on all devices.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glawster11,

I'm sorry you're also having trouble getting Master Password (MP) updates to sync between your Macs and iPhone. Which type of syncing are you using?

I changed the Master Password manually first on the Macbook Pro, then some time later on the iPhone, then a day later on the Mac Mini.

Did you initially try and fail to unlock 1Password on your iPhone and Mac mini using the MP that you'd changed it to earlier on your MacBook Pro? And after that failure, you unlocked using the old MP and manually changed it to the new one?

Aside from this issue, has all other syncing of your 1Password data been working normally?

Thanks in advance for the answers, and for reporting this. We're still looking for the cause and solution.

• bbf
    bbf
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Am syncing via iCloud. Had to change my master password on the iPhone separately after having changed it on my MacBook pro 12 hours earlier.
    Is it possible this is a security design feature rather than a bug? Having to change the master on each device assures that someone couldn't steal the master login on one device somehow and thereby disable every other device a user has.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bbf,

Sorry to hear that your iPhone didn't pick up the Master Password change you'd made 12 hours earlier on your MacBook Pro. We do consider it a bug; this change was made in 1Password for Mac version 4.3:

• Now when you change your Master Password, it will sync to your other devices

After successfully syncing a MP change you can still unlock 1Password using the old one on each device until the new one is used on it. If someone does change the MP on a stolen device you're not forced to use it on any other devices that it was synced with. I'd be primarily concerned about what could happen with any data on a stolen device and try erasing it as quickly as possible.

• bbf
    bbf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, SJK. I did end up manually changing the password on each device.
    Upon doing the last one, my iMac, I would get a persistent sync error popup from 1 Password, giving me the option to "Ignore" or "Fix." The problem is "Fix" said "Fix conflict in Preferences", but doesn't give any indication what setting is in conflict! Rather annoying.

Finally solved that issue by going back to my MacBook, where the sync error popup appeared, but this time, the "Fix" button asked me to login to iCloud and resolve the conflict. Not sure why I didn't get that same diagnosis and actionable feedback on the iMac, but I didn't.

All devices seem to be working in sync now, but the amount of manual intervention required was not a great customer experience. Overall, I am very happy with 1 Password --- it's a great tool.
    Thanks for your feedback and attention to the issue.
    B B

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bbf,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get everything synced up, although I do apologize that it was a bit of a process for you.

It sounds like the error you are mentioning is a sync error. You should be able to fix this by going into Preferences > Sync and ensuring that sync is set the way you want it.

If you notice this error again, please let us know and we'll investigate further! :)

• melb00m
    melb00m
    Community Member
    Options

Hey 1P-Team,

the same happened to me today, that's why I googled and found this thread.
    I have 1Password 4 on my office laptop running Windows 8.1, my iMac at home running Mavericks and on my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini Retina running the latest iOS.

I changed the Master Password on my Windows laptop, and it did sync through to the iPhone, but not to iPad and iMac. I had to actively change it on both those devices. I'm using Dropbox sync, and I added a secure note to see if syncing still works, which was always the case.

Please elaborate what the problem could be. It makes me a little nervous, because obviously the Master Password is the most sensitive part of the whole security concept.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @melb00m,

As you've discovered, there can be inconsistency in the way Master Password updates are synced. We really appreciate your detailed report of where it got tripped up for you, helping us to determine exactly how and where it does. Thanks!

Right now there are no further details to elaborate about this problem. We'll share them when we do, hopefully with an accompanying fix.

• Robert Hammon
    Robert Hammon
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I have the same problem where the master password is not updated.

I have checked and made sure that all the settings in the post are correct.

I'm running

MacBook Pro late 2013 - Mavericks
    iPhone 4s - 7.1.2
    iPad Mini Retina - 7.1.2
    Macbook Pro - late 2013 - Yosemite

All the passwords within 1password update (i have just changed many of my passwords) and there all correct, but the master password has not updated!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Robert,

Which device or system did you change your Master Password that wasn't synced to the other devices/systems? Do you run 1Password 4.4.1 on your Macs and 4.5.3 on your iOS devices? And you're currently using Dropbox Sync for compatibility with 1Password syncing on Yosemite?

I'm sorry if this has been troublesome. Thank you for the report!

• Robert Hammon
    Robert Hammon
    Community Member
    Options

I had changed the master password on my MacBook Pro running Mavericks, and the master password did not sync to any of the other devices.

I am using iCloud to sync between all my devices!

1Password version is 4.4.1 and the iOS versions are the latest version available via the App Store!

• marcange
    marcange
    Community Member
    Options

Hi SJK,
    A point that is not the main subject but that is related to.
    My iPhone has been stolen 3 days ago.
    One of my first reactions has been, to ensure security, to change my 1Password master password both on my McBook Air and on my iPad.
    But, as we discovered trough the main problem of this chat that it is not changed automatically trough sync, my previous iPhone keep the previous password.
    So it is a very serious lake of security because if they succeed in founding my old password it will be possible for them to open my 1Password.
    What can I do ?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Can't you just erase the iPhone using Find my iPhone?

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password 4 on my imac & 1Password on my ipad. The passwords have never ever synced. All other syncing works fine It's been well over a year now that it's like this. I changed my master password on the mac a month back, no change on the ipad.

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

1Password Versions 4.4.1 on my iMac & 4.5.3 on my iPad. Using WiFi sync method. Mavericks 10.9.4 on my imac. OS 7.1.2 on my iPad

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marcange,

It's very sad to hear about your stolen iPhone. I hope there's some relief in knowing that no one, including the thief, can access your 1Password data without your Master Password.

If it's not just lost and you might be able to find it then you certainly can try remotely erasing it, like @danco suggested.

If your iPhone did not have a passcode or fingerprint lock set for the stolen device, you should at least:

• Change your iCloud password
    • Change your Dropbox password (if you were using Dropbox)
    • Change passwords for any mail servers that Mail on your iPhone knows about

This is a more primary concern if you did not have a passcode for TouchID lock set.

If there's passcode or fingerprint lock on your stolen device, and you believe that the thief may dedicate thousands of dollars of resources and days of time to cracking the passcode lock or faking a fingerprint, then take measures to change passwords. And if you haven't set a passcode or TouchID lock on all of your other iOS devices, it's strongly recommended to do that now.

Please let us know if we can assist you with anything else. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your loss and sure hope it works out in the best possible way for you!

This discussion has been closed.