Syncing with Dropbox - Vault Mismatch

Options
bobshuford
bobshuford
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Am new to 1Passport and just entered a few logins on my iMac. Have Dropbox account. When I try to sync my iPhone using Dropbox, am getting message "Vault Mismatch - It appears that the data in the Primary vault is different from the vault you selected in Dropbox. We recommend that you do not merge these vaults." I then go to "More Info" and it shows zero items in "Your Vault" and 31 items in the Dropbox Vault. Thanks for any assistance with this.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bobshuford. Welcome to 1Password and the forum!

Sorry to hear about your Vault Mismatch issue. It sounds like the vault in 1Password on your iPhone may currently be empty. If you're sure there's no data there to be saved then the easiest thing to do would be to start over on your iPhone, skipping step 2 if you don't have any 1Password data in iCloud. After you've reinstalled 1Password and launched it, you can select Sync with Dropbox as an existing 1Password User and be sure to select the same vault in Dropbox that 1Password on your iMac is syncing with.

But if those 31 items are in a different vault in Dropbox than your iMac is syncing with there's more to be done to get this sorted out for you. Please let us know and we'll be happy to help!

• Spaceman
    Spaceman
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Similar problem. Updated both iPad2 and iPhone 5s to iOS 8 and 1Password 5. iPad seems to be syncing to Dropbox just like it always has, however iPhone shows syncing is not on. When attempting to turn on Dropbox syncing, I get the Vault Mismatch error.

On iPhone, for "Your Vault", it says 443 items, 100% similar but for "Dropbox Vault" it says 457 items.

The other odd thing is that if I go into the syncing settings on the iPad, which appears to be working correctly, it says there are 440 items.

How do I get the iPhone syncing again and how do I get this item quantity discrepancy resolved?

Regards,

John

• Rob 1234
    Rob 1234
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar situation as Spaceman. I updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 8, and updated 1Password. I am also getting the mismatch error.

I also can't restore my purchase to get back to Pro on 1Password 5. Are these related?

• Gandalf44
    Gandalf44
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting the same message. I tried to delete the vault and add it back, but I don't have that option. Is it not possible to delete the primary vault?

• kirkmc
    kirkmc
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing here on my iPhone. It's not empty though; it's got nearly all the items as on Dropbox. I've had to merge the vaults twice already.

• kirkmc
    kirkmc
    Community Member
    Options

Happening on my iPod touch as well...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Spaceman, Rob 1234 and @kirkmc,

Please take a look at the Knowledgebase article that @sjk linked to above: Vault Mismatch. It should answer your questions about merging your vaults.

@Gandalf44‌,

Please see the instructions above on mismatched vaults. To delete a primary vault, you would have to use the 'Erase Data and Settings' option in Settings > Advanced or reinstall the iOS app. But 1Password should do a great job of merging your data so that such drastic steps are not necessary. :)

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

So, why would this be the case ("Vault Mismatch") after almost 24 hours of using 1P5 with no issues at all? All of a sudden, it prompted with the master password prompt, when it was set to 'use PIN/Touch ID for 48 hours' after about 36 hours. Password lets me and then it says sync fails... Resetting it up gets me to the Vault Mismatch of a couple of items.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

After reading the KB article, I went ahead and merged them, and it resynced, and it looks okay. But, my basic attitude at this point after never seeing this in a long time of using 1P on several passwords is, WTF? I use Dropbox on all platforms (iOS (several copies) and Windows (also several)) and I've never seen this sort of issue before.

• Rob 1234
    Rob 1234
    Community Member
    Options

I made sure I had a good backup on my desktop, and then I deleted 1Password 5 from my iPhone 5s. I downloaded 1Password on my phone, not via iTunes, and got it reconnected to Dropbox. It seemed to generate a lot of errors, but after a few minutes, it did get the sync done. My counts of logins, passwords, etc, now match my desktop. Also, the pro feature was enabled now, too. So it seems that all is good for me on my iPhone.

Now on to my iPad.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @leesweet,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. It's hard to say just why sync got disconnected, but I'd love to take a closer look at your system to see if we can track this issue down.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    http://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, thanks! The report is on its way! 1P5 also crashed as I was switching back and forth between it and Safari. Interesting! Very interested to know what you all decipher about the issue!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, every time I change my sync method -- and this time I was forced to because 1Password5 switched to CloudKit -- I encounter problems. I can't see any reason for the mismatch: both the iOS client and the Mac OS X client show the same number of items. But after the mismatch, after I click on "More Info", the respective item counts seem almost random. The solution appears to be to delete the 1P for iOS and try again.

• mnc042
    mnc042
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, same problem here. Upgraded to iOS 8 last night, 1P5 last night, all good. Then today, kicks me out of Dropbox syncing, when I try to re-start it I get the error others have mentioned.

Deleted 1PW iOS, reloaded, re-synced, and all is good.

I think something was broken in the upgrade path..

• kirkmc
    kirkmc
    Community Member
    Options

I've sent you a diagnostics report. It looks like I was finally able to sync, but my vault has about 300 more items than it did before this debacle started. There should be a Show Duplicates menu item in the OS X version, at least, to sort this out. Scrolling through my stuff, I don't see any duplicates, so I'm a bit worried now about the integrity of all the stuff I've saved...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @leesweet,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: UUA-58156-873

Hi @odysseus‌,

I sincerely apologize that you ran into some trouble with the upgrade, but I'm glad to hear that it seems to be syncing now!

You mention 'every time I change sync method' in your post. Please note that we don't recommend switching sync methods frequently, primarily because you might end up with mismatch vault errors and the like. Clearly, in this case, if you need to make the switch from iCloud to Dropbox, this was a necessary process, but in general you will get the most reliable sync experience if you pick the solution that works best for you and stick with it. :)

Hi @mnc042‌,

Thanks for letting us know that a reinstall got things working for you! I'm sorry for the trouble.

Hi @kirkmc,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. I'm sure they'll be able to sort out where things have gotten tangled up. :)

ref: RML-13155-716

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, thanks, so far, so good..... looking forward to whatever results we all can decipher from the various reports you have in hand!

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    Options

Good news here. I followed the link to Vault Mismatch and after doing both backups I merged the files. It took a few minutes but when I was finished there were no dupes and the iOS 8 iPhone DB matched again. Sync also works with changes.

Perhaps something went wrong with syncing during the update but everything seems OK after merging so it's worth a try.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @krgraham‌

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I'm glad to hear you're up and running again.

I hope 1Password works smoothly for you from now on, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• MikeTheCanuck
    MikeTheCanuck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi folks, I'm experiencing a bad mismatch, that even when I look at the underlying data in Dropbox, I can't account for such a wild disparity. I'm hoping there's a viable enough explanation that I can eventually clean this up and get back to the amazing sync I've come to expect.

Three devices participating in 1Password, all using the same Dropbox to sync:
    1. Win8 PC, running 1Password 1.0.9.342
    2. iPhone 5S running iOS7.1.2, with 1Password v4.5.3
    3. iPad3 running iOS8, with 1Password v5.0

When looking at the configuration of each, it appears that both the iPad and iPhone aren't syncing anymore, and that the only one syncing is the Windows system. Certainly the latest updated file in Dropbox (the data folder) (from Sept 19th) agrees with the last account I added or updated using my PC browsers.

When I look at the Dropbox contents on the iPhone the files seem up to date in the data folder.

When I try to setup sync from my iPhone, it finds the correct Dropbox account but the More Info after Vault MisMatch reports:
    Your Vault, 277 items, 0.0% similar, Last Updated Sept 11, 2014
    Dropbox Vault, 33 items, Last Updated Sept 19th

What's further disconcerting is that the Vault Mismatch article refers to a Create Backup feature on iOS that I can't find under the Settings > Advanced menu on the iPhone.

I figured I'd look at sync from my iPad too - which may not have been sync'ed in months or more - and I got results nearly as bad:
    Your Vault, 229 items, 0.0% similar, Last Updated (blank)
    Dropbox Vault, 33 items, Last Updated (blank)

I will stop messing around and not do anything to change the underlying files until I get some comfort that something very bad hasn't happened.

I sent an Email Diagnostics just now, but I neglected a link to this thread and my forum handle so I'll reply to the email bot with that detail.

• menditto
    menditto
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing vault mismatch with Dropbox since the iOS8 update, as well. Same symptoms as others report here.

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    Options

There's definitely a bug, but in my experiences it appears to be correctable. I had a vault mismatch when updating iPhone 5s to iOS 8. After doing backups I merged the files and everything was fixed and back to normal (as reported previously).

Yesterday I got a new iPhone 6 and restored everything from backup. Upon opening 1Password 5.0 I once again got a Vault Mismatch error with Sync. As before I selected to merge files which resolved the problem without creating any dupes. Now syncing appears to proceed on all devices without problems.

• Martin Hoefs
    Martin Hoefs
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Same behaviour here after iOS8 / 1Password 5.0.1 with Dropbox sync - seems to be caused by a bug in V5.0.1.
    As this bug seems to affect many users, would you recommend resetting 1Password on the iPhone or waiting for the Bugfix to come (which should be necessary anyway, IMHO)??

[Edit]: backed up and tried to merge the vaults afterwards, as iOS showed 100% similarity. That workaround seemed to do it.

• Felix Buenemann
    Felix Buenemann
    Community Member
    Options

Both my iPhone 5S and iPad Air have dementia and forget all settings in 1Password on iOS8. I can setup Dropbox sync again and merge the vault and the app shows that sync has finished. But after let's say a day it shows that there was a sync error and I'll have to start again. I think I've done the merge procedure at least 5-6 times on both devices on the various versions of the Dropbox app and 1Password 5. All my Macs are running Yosemite and the latest 1Password Beta and seem to sync fine.

I'll try deleting and reinstalling 1Password on iOS as others suggested.

• @MikeTheCanuck‌

We've received your iOS diagnostic report. I've sent you an email reply with further instructions. We look forward to continuing this conversation via email so that we can best get you sorted out. Thanks!

ref: BQR-88731-489

@menditto@mac.com‌

Please check out @sjk's post above. Let us know how that turns out.

@krgraham‌

Glad to hear you were able to get things sorted. We haven't yet tracked down a bug, per se, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. We'll keep looking.

@Martin Hoefs

Thanks for the update. If there is a bug, it appears it is possible to work around, so I'd suggest folks having the problem fix it, versus waiting for a fix in software.

@Felix Buenemann

Okay, please let us know how it turns out!

• Spaceman
    Spaceman
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

*** DISREGARD THIS POST. See below.

Just an update on my situation. I did the "Merge Vaults" on my iPhone 5s and it worked. So, I am good. Don't know why I did not have the issue on my iPad or Macs, just the iPhone 5s. Don't know if it was related to updating to iOS 8 or to 1Password 5 (or a combination :) )

I'm sure you will figure it out.

Regards

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

When I had to do at the recommendation of Support was to delete all settings and data on 1P5. This was because there was a local copy that was out of sync no matter how many times I merged them. Like many of you, I was getting the 'can't sync' and then merged again every so often. I'm thinking we should be resetting local data and reloading from the cloud copy (whichever cloud we are using) when loading our iCloud backup on a new device. After resetting, it was totally new, since I saw it downloading the data to the device (saw the counts increasing). So far, after three hours, it's working. Before, every several hours, it would disconnect and give the 'can't sync', and you'd need to merge again. (Of course, I'd recommend you have your own conversation with Support and not do what I say! You never know what might be different about your use case.)

• Spaceman
    Spaceman
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

OOPS, looks like I spoke to soon. I saw leesweet's comment about it reoccurring so I went into 1Password on my iPhone and sure enough, it had stopped syncing again. When I attempted to turn it back on, I get the vault mismatch again.

I then went to my iPad and it says "1Password will no longer sync because i cannot read the sync file.…". This is worse than the other day because at lease the iPad was working then.

So, this is something that is reoccurring after all.

What should I try?

• Spaceman
    Spaceman
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Additional info: Just noticed that my preferences had been reset. Touch ID was deactivated and my "Request After" had been changed from the 10 minutes I had set and was back to 2 minutes.

Comparing the 'Mismatch' Info:

iPhone - Your Vault (443) - Dropbox Vault (457)
    iPad - Your Vault (443) - Dropbox Vault (457)
    1Password Mac - items (443) inclues "All Items" plus the 19 items in trash
    1Password anywhere - Items (443) by adding each of the individual time counts

So, They all seem to agree that there are 443 items with the exception of "Dropbox Vault".

How does "Dropbox Vault" differ from from where the various devices are getting their data?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @leesweet,

I'm so glad to hear that our team was able to get things sorted out for you! I hope 1Password behaves properly for you from now on ... but you know where to find us if you hit any further snags.

Hi @Spaceman,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're running into this bug as well. Our developers are looking into just why this is occurring and we hope to have it straightened out soon. In terms of the item counts in Dropbox, that is a bit odd. I'd like to take a closer look at your system to see if we can determine why Dropbox is counting the items differently than 1Password. I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: OPI-1757

This discussion has been closed.