Import from SplashID

Options

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DABurack,

Thanks for letting us know what worked for getting 1Password to import your SplashID data.

With TextEdit 1.9 on OS X 10.9.2, when the If no extension is provided, use "txt". option is disabled in the save dialog and I use any filename with a .vid extension the file does get saved with that extension. But with the Show all filename extensions option disabled in Finder > Preferences > Advanced I don't see the extension displayed for that file in a Finder window although it does have a SplashID icon. And the extension will be visible in a Get Info window.

Regardless of that, the good news is your data is in 1Password now. :)

• gcb
    gcb
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to switch to 1Password from SplashID Safe for Mac (Version 7.0.2 Build 732W). Unfortunately I have been unable to import my 324 items. I have tried all of the variations and suggestions found here (including #9) and have tried every other variation I can think of including a simple CSV import. All I get from 1Password is either a "bell" and nothing further or an indication that 0 of 0 items was successfully imported. This process obviously needs some work. I am ready to buy once an effective import solution is available. Where is the best place to check back to see when (and if) that is accomplished? :(

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gcb,

I'm happy to help you with getting your SplashID data successfully imported into 1Password 4. A couple things I'd like to confirm:

• Were your items exported from SplashID using File > Export > SplashID vID and without a password?
    • Is the first line of the exported file: SplashID vID File -v3.0

Can you please duplicate a couple items in SplashID, redact any personal information, export them, then try importing with 1Password? If it fails, please email that redacted exported file as an attachment, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. And if it does import okay, please send us email anyway without the attachment and we'll work with you directly through email to help get all of your data fully exported/imported. Thanks in advance!

• gcb
    gcb
    Community Member
    Options

sjk - Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions: yes, I did export the items using File > Export > SplashID vID without a password; no, the first line of the file was not -v3.0, but -v4.0. Before I did the export test you suggested, I decided that I would try the export one more time using the same advice from #9 above. However, the one thing I did differently this time was to change the -v4.0 to -v3.0. It worked! Previously, I had ignored that change suggested in #9 because of your contrary indication in #30. I would suggest that you need to correct your advice in #30 above. The change from 4.0 to 3.0 is critical - as strange as that seems. My data has now been imported and I can test the software for my use. Thanks (and no thanks for #30 above :-))

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gbc,

Hurray for your successful SplashID data import -- that's awesome! :)

I'm really sorry that post #30 seemed to contradict post #9. I've made this change to hopefully make it clearer:

Old:

It appears that -v4.0 could also be accepted by the importer so it needn't be manually changed to -v3.0. The importer could also handle any necessary text encoding conversion.

New:

It looks like the SplashID importer for 1Password could be updated to also accept -v4.0 in addition to -v3.0. And maybe handle any necessary text encoding conversion.

Please let me know if that still sounds too confusing or need any help with your 1Password testing. Have fun! :)

• Sheldon Smith
    Sheldon Smith
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I too am having the same problem. I am using SplashID Safe 7.2.2 MacOS and trying to import to 1Password 4. I have exported as a .vid and .vid3 file with the same result and I have changed the header from Splash ID 2.0 to 3.0 mentioned above. Any insights / guidance appreciated [moderator: removed email address to keep it away from spammers] Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Sheldon,

Here's a list of things to help ensure that data exported from SplashID will be successfully imported with 1Password 4:

• When exporting from SplashID, make sure to use File > Export > SplashID vID, with the Export Attachments option deselected and without any password. And choose No for the Send Mail prompt.
    • Make sure the first line of the exported vID file (with a .vid extension) is: SplashID vID File -v3.0
    • Make sure the vID file uses UTF-8 character encoding, as mentioned: here (post #45), with conversion details: here (post #11).
    • Make sure to select SplashID (.vid) as the File Format in the 1Password 4 Import window:

• Try exporting a small subset of items at first to test the 1Password 4 import process. Secondary vaults can be handy when testing importing and/or for storing imported data more permanently, as described: here (post #7).

If you're still stuck after that please create a small redacted sample file of SplashID data that fails to import and email that as an attachment to support@agilebits.com, including a link to this topic and your forum username. That sample can be created by duplicating items in SplashID, editing/removing any personal information from the duplicates, then exporting just those items. Also try importing the sample data before emailing it to confirm 1Password 4 is rejecting it.

But let's be optimistic that something from the earlier list will get it working for you. :)

• BobMitcham
    BobMitcham
    Community Member
    Options

The above worked for me with 471 items using SplashIDv7.2.2 for Mac and 1Password 4 v 4.4.1

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BobMitcham‌

Thanks so much for letting us know - I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get your data imported into 1Password!

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we're happy to help. :)

• Gary1968
    Gary1968
    Community Member
    Options

I have had 1Password since Macworld in March. After much correspondence with AgileBits, in late April they finally admitted, "... it turns out that there is indeed a bug that prevents importing from working properly." Since then, no fix, even with a newer release. I have 350 items in my SplashID file. I paid for the Mac app and the iOS app, but I can't use them. Anybody else have this issue? Or a solution?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gary1968,

I've merged your post with this topic about importing SplashID data into 1Password 4. Please take a look at post #38 for a list of suggestions that can help.

I believe the importing bug you may be referring to is the one in 1Password 4.3 that was initially fixed in 4.3.1.BETA-1 and is no longer an issue with any releases after that. I'm not aware of any failures of importing SplashID data that haven't been resolved with suggestions mentioned above. If you can't get it working, for whatever reason, we'll gladly take a look at a redacted sample of data that does fail to import and figure out why so we can help you fix it. :)

• JPShanghai
    JPShanghai
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

OK, here's how I did it successfully. Basically combining some of the things above.

• go to Splash ID 7.2.2
    • choose File / Export / Splash vID
    • choose "all records"
    • select destination folder and filename
    • leave optional password field blank and also choosed "no" when asked if the file should be emailed
    • Opened the resulting .vid file with TextEdit and selected File > Save As… (Option-Shift-Command-S)
      In the save dialog window:
      • Changed Plain Text Encoding from Western (Mac OS Roman) to Unicode (UTF-8)
      • Appended -UTF-8.vid to the Save As filename
      • Confirmed Use .vid when saving the new file

The resultant file imported without a problem.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JPShanghai,

Thanks a lot for sharing your steps for exporting SplashID data through successful importing with 1Password 4. Really glad that all worked!

Looks like this step from post #38 wasn't applicable in your case:

• Make sure the first line of the exported vID file (with a .vid extension) is: SplashID vID File -v3.0

You mentioned:

… also choosed "no" when asked if the file should be emailed

I've added that tip to the first step of suggestions in post #38. :)

Thanks again!

• dmacct
    dmacct
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm also doing an evaluation and considering moving from SplashID.

I'm disappointed that the "imports from SplashID" capability actually involves several steps including reserving a file in a text editor. Seems to me that an import routine should be able to accomplish things like that itself, if the product is going to claim it handles imports.

However, I'm not writing just to carp. I only got import to work by following the above instructions. They key step for me was making sure that the first line was "SplashID vID File -v3.0". It seems that my copy of SplashID Save 7.1 (for Mac) puts "SplashID vID File -v2.0" at the head of the file even when I export what they call Splash vID3! Sloppy sloppy.

I had already converted to UTF-8, and all 892 of my records went in without any further hitches. So, edit the file while you have it in TextEdit and change the 2.0 that will almost certainly be there to 3.0.

I want to like 1Password. I hope it gets more categories and supports changing an entry from one category to the next.

• Thanks for sharing your experience here, @dmacct. I'm glad to hear you were able to get it working. :)

And thanks for the feedback about categories as well!

• Pehja
    Pehja
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

I have read everything about importing from Splash ID...However nothing works. And now I am really tierd of this. How can it be so complicated?
    I have the latest version of Splash ID 7.1.1 Please help!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pehja,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble importing SplashID data into 1Password. What exactly happens when you try to import? Have you tried all of the suggestions in post #38?

I'm sure there's a solution to this problem and we're happy to help you find it! :)

• Pehja
    Pehja
    Community Member
    Options

Nothing happens. I get a boing sound most of the time. And I have to paste "SplashID vID File -v3.0" in the "save file as". Because otherwise there is nothing there. I have tried to convert in text editor. Rather embarrassing that I can not get this to work with so many suggestions on this forum.

And another thing that probably would be in another thread. I can not get my iPhone to synk!

• naparkertx
    naparkertx
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having an issue getting a Vid3 file to export from SplashID as it will only export a vid2 I've tried many times and I'm using SplashID v.7 on OS X and would really like to have everything move into 1P so I can get them on my iPhone as well.

Basically, no matter what I do, it will only export a .txt with this: "SplashID vID File -v2.0 F"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Pehja
    Pehja
    Community Member
    Options

Finally after having doing this the exact same thing 10 times. It worked on the 10:th time? However the posts was imported as a text file (notes)? and they are not editable, as to add different sections. Totally useless! How can I change it to be like it is in lets say "Server"

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pehja,

Glad you've made progress with importing your SplashID data!

You mentioned:

And I have to paste "SplashID vID File -v3.0" in the "save file as". Because otherwise there is nothing there.

Adding that full line shouldn't be necessary when exporting from SplashID using File > Export > SplashID vID. In a few cases the first line of exported data could be:

SplashID vID File -v4.0

Then you'd only need to change 4.0 to 3.0 before importing.

However the posts was imported as a text file (notes)? and they are not editable, as to add different sections. Totally useless! How can I change it to be like it is in lets say "Server"

What did those items look like in SplashID?

Without knowing more details about how your data was exported it's tough to determine exactly why it was imported into 1Password as Secure Note items. There are a few guidelines earlier in this topic …

From post #23:

• Items from SplashID need to be exported with a Web Logins Type for 1Password to import them as Login items.
    • Some fields in your items differ from those in the default Web Logins Type so they won't be imported with correct Login item fields in 1Password.

The importer currently doesn't support remapping of SplashID types/fields into 1Password categories/fields. It expects SplashID vID input data with default types/fields to get the best results.

Duplicating and modifying items in SplashID that you're intending to import with 1Password is a workaround if you want to retain types/fields of the original SplashID items.

From post #25:

The SplashID Type -> 1Password 4 Category mappings are essentially:

• Bank Accts -> Bank Accounts
    • Credit Cards -> Credit Cards
    • Identification -> Drivers Licenses
    • Serial Numbers -> Software Licenses
    • Web Logins -> Logins
    • Other Types -> Secure Notes

When exported SplashID data has type/field customizations, 1Password will import it to Secure Note items.

And another thing that probably would be in another thread. I can not get my iPhone to synk!

If you're having trouble with syncing please do start a new thread about that and we'll be happy to help!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @naparkertx,

Sounds like you may be exporting from SplashID using File > Export > SplashID vID3. Please make sure you're using File > Export > SplashID vID (no '3'), mentioned in the first step of instructions for SplashID.

Please let us know how that goes. :)

• Pehja
    Pehja
    Community Member
    Options

Hi@sjk Bottom line is that the text is imported as plain text. Before it had secure password like ******** fields. I don´t know how to be more explainatory
    Can I change the settings behavior in a imported field? That is to be more precise. "Can I change "Credit card" to be "Identity"

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pehja,

Bottom line is that the text is imported as plain text.

What types of SplashID data did you import into 1Password? I had hundreds of Web Logins in SplashID that imported into 1Password as Login items.

It's not currently possible to change an item's category in 1Password. That's a feature we're considering for the future, though I can't make any promises. I'm happy to pass along your interest in this to our developers.

ref: OPM-1735

• Pehja
    Pehja
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind I will sort it. Web logins is not the problem. The problem is everything else. I have databases, cpanels, credit cards, bank accounts. And when importing them into 1password they will be imported as plain text. I know now that I have to insert them manually. Takes a bit longer, but eventually I will get there.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pehja,

I'm sorry that more of your SplashID data wasn't imported into specific categories in 1Password. A fair amount of my imported SplashID data is still left in Secure Note items that gets manually copied into other items when I want it there.

Anchoring item details windows with 1Password Mini is a convenient way to copy/paste information between them and/or item details in the main application. Simply find the item in 1Password mini, then click the anchor icon in the bottom right (or press the Command-O keyboard shortcut) to pin the details window on your screen:

Then you can copy and paste those details into a new item in the correct category.

Some fields, like notes, can only be copied when the item is in Edit mode. Click the Edit button in the mini details window, or press the Command-E shortcut, to enter Edit mode before or after anchoring it. And click the Cancel button, or press the Command-. shortcut, to quit Edit mode without saving any changes to that item.

Another tip that I mentioned in posts #5 and #7 is to import items into a secondary vault and migrate them over time into the Primary vault.

I know these aren't perfect solutions, but I hope they're helpful to you! :)

• naparkertx
    naparkertx
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help. I was able to get my info moved from SplashID to 1Password

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is great news! Thanks for following up to let us know. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• Pehja
    Pehja
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Success!! Don´t know why or how, but finally it worked! ;-) Thanks!

• Hi @Pehja,

That's awesome to hear, despite not knowing how it ever did work. Sometime, we just learn to trust the fact that it worked and move on. :D

This discussion has been closed.