"1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file." [Fix steps in post #23]

Options
ostertoaster
ostertoaster
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Sometime after updating from 5.0.0 to 5.0.1, both my iOS devices came up with the following error message:
"1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file. Please update sync preferences to start syncing again."

I'm running iOS 8 and 5.0.1 on an iPhone 5S and an iPad Mini Retina and syncing two vaults via Dropbox. Interestingly, my TouchID were missing as well.

To fix, I had to set the connection to Dropbox back up ("Allow" modal from Dropbox) and reconfigure both Vaults. On the iPhone, I've experienced this phenomenon twice.

Any ideas what's going on? It's working for the moment, but since it as broken multiple times on one device, I'm concerned that it may come back.

Comments

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member
    Options

I had this happen too after updating from 5.0.0 to 5.0.1. To be safe I elected to erase all data in 1Password on my iPhone and let it re-sync down from Dropbox again.

• ostertoaster
    ostertoaster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @warpspeed‌. We'll see if it holds from here on out.

• eimeria
    eimeria
    Community Member
    Options

I've had this happen repeatedly since upgrading. Additionally, my preference choices aren't sticking. I have to reselect my security,view and sync options.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. I sync with 3 devices and I get the above error on all three. I have repeatedly reset everything on all 3 devices, but so far with no luck.

At the same time, my security settings are not sticky either.

• dfp
    dfp
    Community Member
    Options

Same here on all my iDevices - sync keeps getting fouled up, and security prefs get lost repeatedly. This is really annoying.

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list. This has happened to me 3 times since updating to 5.01.

1. First the message that it cannot connect and will no longer sync.
    2. Then, on trying to re-establish dropbox sync, repeated errors "failed to list remote data folder in dropbox".
    3. Continue to try again and again until finally a successful sync.

Then, a while later, back to "cannot load sync file" and the whole process starts again.

Just leaving for a business trip, it is frustrating to know that I may not be able to depend on having access to my PW's.

• ostertoaster
    ostertoaster
    Community Member
    Options

Aaaaand it got borked again.

AgileBits support, any comments?

• ostertoaster
    ostertoaster
    Community Member
    Options

@warpspeed‌, has your problem ever returned, or did your approach get it to stick?

• robot_kid
    robot_kid
    Community Member
    Options

I've also been seeing this. It is also resetting my master password and Touch ID timeout settings.

• Jim B.
    Jim B.
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also getting the "1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file." message. Support, please help!!!

• imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Options

Got the same issue. Syncing 1 vault via dropbox. No errors on my mac but not working on any iOS device. running iOS8 w/ latest 1pass version (5.0.1) and Dropbox (3.4.2). Mac seems to be working fine. Will check my windows machine at the office later.

• jth
    jth
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, but I've only seen this on my iPhone 6 running iOS 8, didn't have this on my iPad mini retina or my iPhone 5, both running iOS 8.

• Bill O'Donnell
    Bill O'Donnell
    Community Member
    Options

This keeps happening to me too. I sync with dropbox, I reconnect, it syncs, everything is fine. The next day it's broken again. It's happened every day since Friday. iPhone 6, iOS 8, latest 1Password.

• Mr_V
    Mr_V
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding a quick "Me too!".

5.0.1 on an iPhone 5s running iOS 8, syncing via Dropbox. I lose synchronisation about once a day.

As others have noted, it also resets all my Security settings (including Touch ID). Though, interestingly, the very last time I lost sync (which was just now), my Security settings didn't get erased.

• jdanish
    jdanish
    Community Member
    Options

Me too! At first it at least kept my passwords on the phone. But this morning it deleted them all and now won't re-download them. Mac still seems AOK and is syncing to and from dropbox without problems. Help!

• jdanish
    jdanish
    Community Member
    Options

Slight update. I deleted the app and re-downloaded it and now it at least synced once. I'll let you know if it "sticks."

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member
    Options

@ostertoaster‌ so far it's still working, but i guess we'll see. It seems there's a systemic bug here that AgileBits will need to fix up (or maybe it's Dropbox).

• gers1978
    gers1978
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting this error too, iPhone 5S running iOS 8.0

• tanc
    tanc
    Community Member
    Options

+1 (me too) syncing (or trying) via dropbox, iPhone 6 running iOS 8 and latest release of 1P.

• hrbrt
    hrbrt
    Community Member
    Options

iOS 8, iPhone 5s, Dropbox sync - "me too".

• chrisrosa
    chrisrosa
    Community Member
    Options

me too. once connected, it syncs ok for a bit then eventually fails again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi everyone,

I sincerely apologize for this issue ... it's an annoying one. I've come across it myself so I feel your frustration! I would also like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here. As you may have noticed, we've experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

Our developers are currently investigating why this issue is happening. It seems that 1Password is removed from Dropbox's security settings somehow. I'm including the steps here that have helped some of our other users get synced up again:

• First, make sure you have all your 1Password data synced/backed up somewhere other than your iOS device. If your 1Password data is up to date in Dropbox, that's fine. You can also save a backup to your computer by following the steps here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/itunes-backups

• Next, open 1Password and go to Settings.

• Scroll down and go to Advanced.
    • Tap "Erase Data and Settings", then confirm you want to do that.
    • When you see the message confirming the data is deleted, tap Quit.
    • Restart your iOS device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).

• Reopen 1Password and choose "Sync existing vault".

• Choose "Sync with Dropbox" and follow any additional steps to complete the setup.

Once the setup and sync are complete, check to make sure your data is there. Then you can go customize the Settings the way you want.

It sounds like the problem doesn't happen right away, so give it some time to see if it continues to work or if you run into the same issue(s). Please do let us know if you're still seeing this problem and we'll investigate further!

EDIT:

If the above steps don't get things resolved for you, please try disabling background app refresh in Settings.app > 1Password > Background App Refresh.

• Mel Burstein
    Mel Burstein
    Community Member
    Options

Based on a post by Mike in a different thread, I reinstalled Dropbox for OS X and I immediately received notification of files being sync'ed.

• Interesting, Mel! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that helped.

Ben

• FolsomRider
    FolsomRider
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing this issue also. Really annoying.

• Hi @FolsomRider‌

Have you tried the suggestions in this thread?

Thanks.

Ben

• FolsomRider
    FolsomRider
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, @bwoodruff‌ — I've just taken the steps Megan suggested. Will monitor for recurrence of the issue, and report back.

• Thanks! Please let us know if you have further difficulties.

• ostertoaster
    ostertoaster
    Community Member
    Options

Things are holding for me as well after applying @Megan‌'s steps as well. Cheers!

• Thanks @ostertoaster‌ !

This discussion has been closed.