Duplicate passwords

Options

Hello,

1Password has told me that a login I use shares a password with at least one other login. How do I find these other logins so I can change the password?

If I turn on duplicate passwords I see the site listed, but it's listed along-side 50 other sites that i'm not interested in.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

You can't. But you might as well correct the duplications on those other 50 sites anyway.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

ah crap, thanks for the confirmation Richard, I was hoping I was missing something.

I think the duplicate password feature could be improved by grouping the logins by the password that they use. It might turn out that only 1 other login uses this particular password but as I just got one long list with all the logins that share a password it's not easy to locate it.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can see how that would be a useful feature.

I'm guessing that it wasn't designed that way because the goal is to have a different password at every site, so it doesn't really matter which ones are the "duplicates" if you're going to change all that are reported as duplicates.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I think the duplicate password feature could be improved by grouping the logins by the password that they use. It might turn out that only 1 other login uses this particular password but as I just got one long list with all the logins that share a password it's not easy to locate it.

Does it matter? Change the password on the important website. After that, if you really don't care about the others then it doesn't matter if it was 1 or 100 logins sharing a password with the important one.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Does it matter?

When you put it that way, no I guess it doesn't. That's a good suggestion.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck, just to reiterate what @DBrown said, we highly recommend using a different password for each site. :smile:

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

++

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

okay good advice, I'll get round to it eventually. :)

• OldCrow
    OldCrow
    Community Member
    Options

One of the things I find frustrating about the Duplicate Password feature is when it reports duplicates that technically aren't. For example, If I have an e-mail account entry, and also a login entry for that e-mail account's webmail interface, they show up as duplicates - but they are really two different variants of the same thing, the email account.

Similarly, if I have a membership entry that includes password information (let's say something like the IEEE, for example), and also a login entry for that groups website, then again they show up as duplicates - but they aren't really.

It would be good if the duplicates filtered that out more efficiently, or if other entries that stored password data could be used as login entries as well, to avoid the need for multiple entries about the same real-world account.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know your preference, @OldCrow!

Perhaps no one foresaw a desire to store a password for an account in both the Account item and the Login item. (That's just a guess—I wasn't in the design sessions.)

This discussion has been closed.