Bug report: Browser extension doesn't take you to login page if you are already on the domain

Options
Ben George
Ben George
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I've always found with every version of 1Password(3 and 4) that if I'm already on a domain the browser extension can't log me in to that domain unless I happen to be already on the login page.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Visit a domain for which you have a login eg vmware.com
  2. Browse through the domain to a page that is not the login page you have saved
  3. Click the browser extension
  4. 1password shows you your login/logins for that domain
  5. Select the appropriate login

Expected

You should redirect to the login page where your credentials are filled in

Actual

Nothing happens (or some random form on the page you happen to be visiting gets inappropriately autocompleted)

Workaround (that I use all day, every day)

1. Open a blank tab in the browser
  2. Search in the 1Password extension for the domain I had open in the other tab
  3. Select the required login
  4. The login page opens and logs me in
  5. Close the new tab and go back to the original page and refresh to get a logged in session

Platform

OSX 10.9.5
Chrome 38.0.2125.101
1Password 4.4.3

Notes

The issue is particularly obvious where a domain uses subdomains, the exact same problem exists but is more obvious as you feel like you should have moved to another site but didn't:
eg with VMware your account is at my.vmware, the store is at store.vmware and the main site is of course just vmware - but whichever one you are on 1Password can't login in via an existing browser tab that is showing a page from one of those locations.

It's as if the intended workflow is that you start each session with a blank tab and use 1Password as both a bookmark and a login tool, but that's just not how I find I use it in most scenarios.

Far more often I may be visiting a site and find that I've been logged out through a timeout, I may be changing logins on a given site, I may be browsing a store that I don't typically buy from etc etc - more often than not I'm already on the site when I decide to bother logging in.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ben George

Thanks so much for providing the detailed bug report here! I'm curious, in Preferences > Browser, do you have 'Lenient URL Matching' enabled or disabled?

If you have 'Lenient URL Matching' enabled, then I think that 1Password might be behaving as it should here.

Lenient URL Matching means that 1Password will match your Logins based on the domain only - google.com, for example. If you do not have Lenient URL Matching enabled, 1Password will be more precise and will take the subdomains into account as well - mail.google.com, accounts.google.com, etc.

Keep in mind that when you activate the extension, you are asking it to fill in your details. With Lenient URL Matching, if you're visiting any part of google.com, open the extension and select your Google Login, 1Password will assume that you want your details filled and try to find fields on the page to fill them in.

Please ensure that you have 'Lenient URL Matching' disabled - does the behaviour you report still happen?

• Ben George
    Ben George
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, thanks for the reply.

The subdomain comment was really only an addendum to the bug report - I almost didn't add it as I thought it might distract from the real issue!

For what it's worth Lenient URL Matching was off.

I've turned it on now, restarted Chrome and 1Password (including mini) and can no longer get the browser extension to log me in to anything!
    It returns the error:
    No webpage was found for the web address: chrome-extension://aomjjhallfgjeobpgk/discussions.agilebits.com

I suspect that should be a separate bug report :-)

Regardless I don't think that setting as described is the core of the issue.

The issue is the assumption that the page I'm on is a better candidate for form completion than the page I've saved against the login profile - there really needs to be a per website setting to enable/disable this assumption as many (most?) sites don't contain a suitable login form on every page.

As a second example, this bug bit me just now when trying to reply to this post!

I'd bookmarked this discussion and just now came back to check on it (for some reason my profile wasn't set to email me notifications?!? It now is).
    When I saw you'd replied I went to the 1Password browser extension, clicked it, it correctly showed me the Agilebits login profile, I clicked that and nothing happens.

I open a new tab, click on 1Password, search for Agilebits, click it and it takes me to the saved URL (the forum root) where it does log me in.

Now I can switch back to this discussion, refresh the page and reply to you.

I've been using 1Password for probably about 18months now, the open a new tab, search, select workflow has become muscle memory - I just wish I didn't have to do it!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the thorough followup.

For what it's worth Lenient URL Matching was off.

I've turned it on now, restarted Chrome and 1Password (including mini) and can no longer get the browser extension to log me in to anything! It returns the error: No webpage was found for the web address: chrome-extension://aomjjhallfgjeobpgk/discussions.agilebits.com

I suspect that should be a separate bug report :-)

That error's been encountered before, with a bug report filed for it. :)

If the website field of your Login item for this forum has discussions.agilebits.com (without any URL scheme) as its value, can you change it to https://discussions.agilebits.com and see if that makes any difference?

I'll take a closer look at the rest of this later and let you know what I find. Thanks again for all the details!

ref: OPX-579

• Ben George
    Ben George
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks sjk - it did have no URL scheme, I've explicitly set it to https now, no change.

I think with this particular forum the gotcha is that I have to expose the form on the page (by clicking the sign in link) before 1Password will work.
    Most of the login's I've got saved are to a specific login URL and hence the "go to an fill" behaviour works, but this forum doesn't seem to work with this usage pattern.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ben,

You're right about 1Password Go & Fill usage being challenged by popup login forms, like on this forum. There's a workaround for it here:

Change the URL for the website field of your Login item to https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin.

That should help 1Password behave as you'd like it to with our forum login. :)

• Ben George
    Ben George
    Community Member
    Options

That helps - thanks!

You know there's a strong case for a some sort of meta tag or microformat here, password managers are becoming very common so you could suggest a standard for providing an alternate login path in the site meta or as an attribute on the form/ajax form loader element...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that helped, Ben. :)

Interesting idea for a meta tag or microformat. I'll pass that along to our developers. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.