Autofill keyboard shortcut not giving me the option

reck
reck
Community Member
edited October 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

When I login to my webmail I noticed that pressing the shortcut key (Control+\) doesn’t give me the option to select the correct login to use, instead it's just picking one (the wrong one) and logging straight in.

I went back and instead of pressing the shortcut key I clicked the browser 1Password button and that does list all logins for this page correctly.

How can I get the shortcut key to recognise all the logins for the page just as the browser extension does?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

When I login to my webmail I noticed that pressing the shortcut key doesn’t give me the option to select the correct login to use, instead it's just picking one (the wrong one) and logging straight in.

The other Login item is an exact match (with the current URL in your web browser), and the Login item you're after is not.

How can I get the shortcut key to recognise all the logins for the page just as the browser extension does?

You can press: Ctrl+Alt+\

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

The other Login item is an exact match (with the current URL in your web browser), and the Login item you're after is not.

That was the reason it seems. I've now added the exact match url to other login along with 3 existing urls I have for this login but control+\ still doesn't give me the option of selecting between them even though they both now contain exact url matches. Any ideas why this might be the case?

You can press: Ctrl+Alt+\

Thank you, didn't know about that feature.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I've now added the exact match url to other login along with 3 existing urls I have for this login but control+\ still doesn't give me the option of selecting between them even though they both now contain exact url matches. Any ideas why this might be the case?

Please turn on this setting: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Logins > Lenient URL matching

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

I've changed the order of the urls around and now control+\ is showing all the possible logins for this url, even partial matches, which is what I was after.

Is this a bug? Why do I have to reorder urls to get partial matches working?

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

The Lenient URL matching setting is already turned on.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I've changed the order of the urls around and now control+\ is showing all the possible logins for this url, even partial matches, which is what I was after.

My guess would be that, if all the URLs in a Login item match the currently displayed page's URL equally well, they are presented and selected in the order in which they appear.

That said, multiple URLs within a single Login item is a different scenario from multiple Login items with fully or partially matching URLs, which is what I thought the thread was discussing earlier.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

I'm still trying to get my head around how this is working.

If I arrange the URL's of the second login so that the exact url isn't at the top, when I press control+\ it logs me in with the details of the first login giving me no choice even though the second login does contain the exact url.

If I move the exact url to the top of the list in the second login and press control+\ I get the option to select from the 5 different logins. The other 3 logins that now appear aren't even exact matches, just a partial match. So somehow changing the order of the url's in a single login makes 1Password suddenly work with all the exact and partial matches across all the logins it seems.

This is what I want, giving me the option of selecting from exact and partial matches, but why does changing the order of the urls in one login suddenly make all the logins appear, including partial matches when I press control+\?

That said, multiple URLs within a single Login item is a different scenario from multiple Login items with fully or partially matching URLs, which is what I thought the thread was discussing earlier.

I want to be able to go to a webpage, press the shortcut key (control+) and 1Password give me the option of using any logins that contains an exact or partial match url for that page.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

I'm still trying to get my head around how this is working.

You're not the only one @reck‌
    @DBrown, any chance of a Knowledge Base article details the precise algorithm that 1P uses to determine which logins are presented in multi-url/multi-login scenarios?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Good idea, @RichardPayne‌. I'll work with Dev to get the information for such an article.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Can you please confirm if this is a bug or intended behaviour?

If this is intended then an article would be great as I don't understand why the sorting order should affect which logins are available.

Thanks

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I'm also seeing this issue, both with multiple URLs, as well as the login for this very discussion board. It's simply not being recognised by the extension. I've verified that it's the right URL, and it is.

Same problem with logins with multiple URLs.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

I'll try and explain how it works.

When you press Ctrl+\ then 1Password will do this:

1. If you have one Login item for the current domain (and one Login item only), then 1Password will fill your credentials immediately. No popup menu.
    2. If you have more than one Login item for the current domain, then 1Password will look for a match with the current URL (minus URL arguments). If one of your Login items matches the current URL (and none of the others do), then 1Password will fill your credentials immediately. No popup menu.
    3. In all other situations, the 1Password popup menu should appear. At the top of the popup menu (above the very 1st separator), 1Password will display all your Login items for the current domain (sorted alphabetically).

When you press Ctrl+Alt+\ then 1Password will do this:

1. At the top of the popup menu (above the very 1st separator), 1Password will display all your Login items for the current domain (sorted alphabetically).
    2. Suppose you are on calendar.google.com. 1Password will display all Login items that match google.com. But some of them might be associated with calendar.google.com while others are associated with accounts.google.com. 1Password will move the Login items that match the current subdomain to the top of the popup menu (above "Show X more items").
    3. The 1Password popup menu should always appear.
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Thanks @svondutch. Can you now detail the matching process for multi-url logins, both with and without Lenient matching enabled?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Can you now detail the matching process for multi-url logins, both with and without Lenient matching enabled?

With agilekeychain, "Lenient URL matching" is what turns ON multiple URLs in your web browser. Without "Lenient URL matching", 1Password only "sees" the 1st URL. This is foremost a performance issue.

With agilekeychain, multiple URLs are encrypted with the other details. Decrypting every item is slow, and that's why "Lenient URL matching" is OFF by default (otherwise, the 1Password button in your web browser would be slow for everyone, including those customers not using multiple URLs).

When we move to opvault, then we have a new situation because multiple URLs are encrypted with the overview (not with the details). Decrypting the overview is a lot faster.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

ok, so when there are multiple urls in play, how does the algorithm you posted interact with them? Is it simply add them all to the list of urls to search or is the it treated as a sub-list with it's own rules?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

when there are multiple urls in play, how does the algorithm you posted interact with them?

It simply adds them all to the list of URLs to search for. Your 2nd (or 3rd) URL is not less important than your 1st URL

One more thing. Here's another place where you can define multiple URLs: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Logins > Domain matching (this does NOT require "Lenient URL matching").

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

One more thing. Here's another place where you can define multiple URLs: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Logins > Domain matching (this does NOT require "Lenient URL matching")

Is that stored in the Vault or is the Domain matching list stored locally?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Is that stored in the Vault

@RichardPayne Yes.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Thanks for the details svondutch, although i'm still not clear on why the order of the urls affects which logins are being displayed? Why when I change the order of the urls in one login do all my logins suddenly appear as options when before none were appearing?

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

OK i'm not seeing any replies here so let me put in the details and maybe someone can see what's going on.

This is the URL for the page i'm trying to login from.
    https://email.le.ac.uk/owa/auth/logon.aspx?replaceCurrent=1&url=https://email.le.ac.uk/owa/

As I have lenient URL matching turned on these are the logins I would expect to be given as an option when I press control+\ as they all contain urls to the same domain "le.ac.uk".

Login1

https://mng.le.ac.uk/
    https://email.le.ac.uk/owa/auth/logon.aspx?replaceCurrent=1&url=https%3a%2f%2femail.le.ac.uk%2fowa%2f
    MozillaDialogClass

Login 2

https://email.le.ac.uk/

Login 3

https://email.le.ac.uk/owa/auth/logon.aspx?replaceCurrent=1&url=https%3a%2f%2femail.le.ac.uk%2fowa%2f

Login 4

https://connect.le.ac.uk/system/login?domain=connect.le.ac.uk&next=%2Fadmin%3Fdomain%3Dconnect.le.ac.uk&set-lang=en

Login 5

https://143.208.174.7/
    https://cha.tixal.le.ac.uk

When I press the login key instead of the popup menu allowing me to choose the correct login it simply logs in with login 3 without giving me the option to pick any of the other logins.

As I have lenient URL matching turned on in preferences I would expect any login which has a url containing "le.ac.uk" to be given as an option. Even ignoring the lenient URL option you can see that both login 1 and login 3 both contain exact matches yet the one in login 1 is completely ignored it seems.

I've re-read svondutch replies and it seems that I should be getting these as options

Your 2nd (or 3rd) URL is not less important than your 1st URL

Also what's "agilekeychain" and "opvault"? It sounds like the latter is better so when will this make an appearance?

From that description above can anyone answer the following questions?

Why does 1Password not give me the option to select from all 5 logins considering lenient URL matching is turned on?

Why does 1Password not seem to be able to "see" the exact URL in login1?

Why does changing the order of the URL's affect which logins are being displayed as options?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Also what's "agilekeychain" and "opvault"? It sounds like the latter is better so when will this make an appearance?

They are vault formats. .agilekeychain is the older format but better supported. .opvault has better security but if you use Android then it's not an option.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

you can see that both login 1 and login 3 both contain exact matches yet the one in login 1 is completely ignored it seems.

@reck Thank you for your thorough and detailed research. I believe I have fixed this problem in version 4.1.0.BETA-527. Can you please download version 4.1.0.BETA-527 and confirm the fix? Thanks!

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4#beta

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Just tried with the new beta version svondutch and it's still not working. When I go to the URL it still auto-logs me in using login3 instead of giving me the choice.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Correction: It does work!

I rebooted the computer and its working now. Thanks for the speedy fix svondutch, great service :)

Richard thanks for the description of the vault formats. Will opvault be coming to Windows and iOS then? Or maybe these devices already use this format and it's just Android stuck with .agilekeychain?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Windows can already use opvault. Not sure about iOS.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

1Password for iOS can read and write 1Password for Windows data saved to Dropbox in the .opvault format.

1Passsword for Android does not yet include that capability—it's still .agilekeychain-only.

It seems worth noting that the .opvault format does not include the 1Password.html file and other assets necessary for 1PasswwordAnywhere (access to your secure 1Password data through a web browser).

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Thanks guys, learn something new every day.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

So for Windows+iOS users, can we move to opvault and get the benefits of this now? Or do we have to wait for further changes on your end? I'd be quite willing to jump over to opvault if it improves this situation or performance.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@TheDave My advice is to wait until opvault has been tested on all platforms. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.