1Password mini 5 conflict?

Options
Samnang Chhun
Samnang Chhun
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I just bought 1Password 5 for Mac. Then I uninstalled 1Password 4 via CleanMyMac 2. I realized 1Password mini didn't close yet. Then after I installed 1Password 5, and every time I press (⌘-⌥-), I see two 1Password mini 4 & 5 conflict each other:

Update: After I quit all 1Password mini processes in Activity Monitor and started 1Password again, then now it works fine.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear this resolved the issue for you.

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have this same problem but it is a recurring. Quitting the mini processes and restarting 1Password 5 removes the old Mini icon from the menubar that appears there after a Restart of my MacBook Pro, but using the keyboard shortcut to bring up the Mini brings up both old and new versions alternately. How can I completely purge my MacBook of all old versions that may be hanging around?

I am running 1Password 5 Version 5.0.2.BETA-2 (502002) Agile Beta.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Duane Williams

Let's take a look in your Applications folder - do you have multiple versions of 1Password installed there? It doesn't hurt to have multiple versions of 1Password installed on your computer (for example, it might be common if you're beta testing to also have a copy of the release version.) However, if more than one of these is set to ‘Always keep 1Password mini running’, then you might have multiple Minis vying for attention.

Please open each version of 1Password and go to Preferences > General. Ensure that ‘Always keep 1Password mini running’ is not selected in any version except the one you are actively using, then use ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) to quit 1Password and the Mini (for the unused versions of 1Password.)

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan

I have two versions of 1Password in my Applications folder: "1Password 5", which is "1Password 5 Version 5.0.2.BETA-2 (502002)", and "1Password", which is the latest version 5.0 from the App Store. I always run the beta version and the second copy of Mini that keeps popping up is not a version 5 Mini. After reading your message, I started up the version from the App Store and a strange thing happened. I got a pop-up with this message:

"The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini. Instead of '/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/LoginItems' it started '/Volumes/MacBook Lion Backup/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems'. Please make sure you have only one copy of 1Password on your Mac."

This explains a lot. The extra copy of Mini was coming from an old copy of 1Password on an attached Backup drive! Per your instructions, I set the App Store version to not keep a copy of Mini running. Hopefully that will solve my problem. But, I think Agile Bits still has a problem in that the App Store version started up a Mini from my backup drive rather than the one in its own folder. That created some of my confusion, because I was seeing an old version 4 Mini while knowing that I did not have a copy of version 4 1Password in my Applications folder.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Duane Williams‌,

Thanks for explaining your exact situation. This will help us provide the appropriate advice :+1:

Since launchd 2.0, which came with OS X Yosemite, the is no guarantee which instance of 1Password mini will be launched by 1Password (the main app). The scenario you are describing is fairly common among users who keep several copies of 1Password on their hard drive(s).

We strongly recommend that you either trash (do not use app cleaning utilities) and empty the Trash or archive (zip) all "backup" instances of 1Password from all your mounted hard drives.

You only need a single copy of either 1Password.app (Mac App Store) or 1Password 5.app (web store or beta) in your /Applications folder.

If you are concerned about "backup"/previous versions of 1Password, you can find them in the Legacy section, at the bottom of our downloads page

Hope that this helps.

Cheers!

Rad

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member
    Options

@Rad‌

I find that very interesting. Are you saying that in Yosemite it is not possible to launch an app using a complete path+name?

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Duane Williams‌,

No, Yosemite is just ignoring it completely. It is a bug on Yosemite and we've filed a report with Apple a few months ago. They did improve it in later updates but it is not completely fixed yet.

That's why we've added extra code in 1Password 5 to detect this and help users fix this because we knew it wasn't going to be fixed in time.

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT,

That is amazing. I'm surprised that Yosemite works at all, if they can't reliably target which apps to run. Thank you very much for telling me about that!

• mayahope
    mayahope
    Community Member
    Options

I am really frustrated with this. I use backup programs in order to have bootable backups on multiple disk drives plus a sandboxed setup such as SuperDuper! recommends. If this is the situation, then I will have constant problems with my sandboxed test Applications versus the Applications on my regular hard drive.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mayahope,

I sincerely apologize for the frustration here. Let's hope that Apple is able to address this issue soon!

This discussion has been closed.