Some sites not populating username any longer

Options
Randomizer
Randomizer
Community Member

Fidelity Investments, for example. Had been fine before. Now - the user name will not populate.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Randomizer,

Please try Saving a New Login Manually - does this help?

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

Observed the same problem as @Randomizer. Here are the specifics:

1. Go to Fidelity.com, click "Log In" to get the clean login page.
    2. Enter username, suppose it is ALPHA12345, and the password.
    3. Fidelity logs me in and 1Password offers to save the login. Do save the login.

Seems fine, but then try to use the 1Password login the next time, and it fails.

Here's why: The username saved in 1Password is *******345, not the full password. Easy to miss, since we are used to having characters obscured on such forms.

Work-Around: After step #3 above:
    4. In the mini-app or in the full 1Password app, edit the login and paste in the full username.

Now, the login works fine.

Megan, does this serve as a bug report? Or should I also enter it somewhere else??

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, thanks for "Saving a New Login Manually" which looks pretty useful.

No, it doesn't help with Fidelity. They are doing some magic to obscure the password immediately after you leave the username field. Save Login Manually gives the same result: *******345 in my example above.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there,

Thanks for that workaround, @SallyShears. Another is clicking in the entered Username field to reveal it before manually saving a Login item for the Fidelity login page so the asterisks won't be saved. And creating a Login item for the page in the main application should also work fine.

It's a known issue with the Fidelity login and I've added your report of it to the bug we have filed.

I hope this also helps get yours working with 1Password, @Randomizer. Please let us know if you need any further assistance with it.

ref: OPX-291

• lasleyma
    lasleyma
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same problem. Nothing yet fixes it. I can login manually, but the same information from 1password does not work. Also, I put username and password in and used 1password to create a new logon. The I logged in successfully. Then logos and try to use the newly created login and it also gives an error. This is only on some sites. Fidelity Investments is one, but not the only one.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lasleyma,

Sorry you're having trouble with your Fidelity Investments login. I've moved your post into a more recent topic with new suggestions for fixing it. Let us know if you can't get it working and we'll look for another solution. Thanks!

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

I wrote to Fidelity and received this disappointing response:

"At this time Fidelity does not support the use of password manager programs with our log in page for security purposes. The security of our customers' personal information is a primary concern at Fidelity. As such, we make use of firewall barriers, encryption techniques, authentication procedures, and other proven protection measures to secure customer information and prevent fraud, and we regularly adapt these controls to respond to changing requirements and advances in technology."

I wrote them back saying, "That's not the level of technical leadership I expect of Fidelity. You are condemning your customers to weak passwords or password re-use."

I think it's time for a little campaign to convince Fidelity to change their position.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Long before I was lucky enough to join this fantastic company I was a staunch supporter of 1Password because in this day and age you need it. The best passwords are those so awful that typing them would be exercise in anger management. Heck I mistype my master password enough and that isn't anywhere near as hideous as the passwords I have 1Password remember. That's just short-sighted behaviour there - a bit like one of my credit card companies that believes a 4 digit pin and a 6 character password is somehow safe :\ It beggars belief sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.