-- my work Win7 PC

-- my home Win7 PC

-- my Samsung Galaxy phone

I want my wife to be able to sync her passwords between:

-- her home PC

-- her Samsung Galaxy phone

-- her iPad

-- Possibly a Windows Surface tablet

and I want us to be able to share SOME passwords. sometimes we use a common login for some sites. Can 1Password do that?

what sort of license(s) do i need for that?

thank you.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

You can read about our licensing policy on our web site: agilebits.com/home/licenses

You can try the Windows version for free, with unlimited functionality, for up to 30 days, which should allow you to assess its value to you.

In the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide (accessible from the Help menu and in the Support area of our web site), you can read about syncing your 1Password data among Mac, PCs, and mobile devices and about sharing individual items or entire vaults with other 1Password users.

Thank you for your interest in 1Password!

• eschurr
    eschurr
    Community Member

thanks, but i've read all that and it doesn't answer my questions.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

I want to be able sync my passwords between:

>

1. my work Win7 PC
    2. my home Win7 PC
    3. my Samsung Galaxy phone

You need 1Password for Windows plus 1Password for Android. Dropbox is your friend.

I want my wife to be able to sync her passwords between:

>

1. her home PC
    2. her Samsung Galaxy phone
    3. her iPad

She needs 1Password for Windows (same household, same license) plus 1Password for Android (Google Web Store) plus 1Password for iOS (Apple App Store).

Possibly a Windows Surface tablet

Surface RT or Surface Pro? We do not have an app for Surface RT (yet). 1Password for Windows runs great on Surface Pro.

and I want us to be able to share SOME passwords. sometimes we use a common login for some sites. Can 1Password do that?

1Password supports multiple vaults. You have your own vault. Your wife has her own vault. Then you and your wife share another vault for your common logins.

what sort of license(s) do i need for that?

1. 1Password for Windows (1 license for you and your wife)
    2. 1Password for Android (2 licenses; one for yourself plus one for your wife)
    3. 1Password for iOS (1 license for your wife)
  • eschurr
    eschurr
    Community Member

Thanks for your very helpful reply...that's exactly what i was looking for. i hope you don't mind answering a few more questions:

1. is your licensing perpetual or annual subscription? I didn't see any mention of it being annual sub, so i'm assuming perpetual, but thought i'd ask to be sure
    2. Am i correct that of the licenses you mentioned the only one that requires payment is the Windows license ($34.99)?
    3. if we each have our own vault and we share a vault, I assume that when one of us wants to use the shared vault they will have to close their personal vault and open the shared vault? What would happen if we put ALL of our passwords (the common ones and the unique ones) in one shared vault (on dropbox)? Would 1password understand that when she is logging into Amazon, for example, it should use a different login/password than when I am? Can one configure multiple users in one vault?

thanks again for your help.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    1. perpetual

2. No, you'd need an iOS license and an Android license too. You might need a 2nd Android license depending on whether you're sharing a Google play account or not.

3. Yes, you would have to switch vaults. Windows would require the master passwords to be entered each time. I'm not sure if iOS follows the Windows model or the Mac model where you only have to enter the master password of the primary vault. I suspect the later. Android does not yet support multiple vaults so that would be a problem for you plan.

If you share a single vault then no, it does not have the concept of different users. If there were two Amazon logins then when you press Ctrl+\ you would get a menu to select which one you want.

You could run two vaults, one each, and duplicate the shared logins between them. That has the disadvantage of have to maintain the same items twice.

• eschurr
    eschurr
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

thanks.

1. the app in the Google Play store is listed as free. Is there a charge for it?
    2. If we run two vaults with the shared logins duplicated, if we generate strong passwords for those accounts (that one couldn't easily remember), how would we get a password from one vault to the other?
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    1. The basic reading functions are free. I think you need to purchase the pro features to edit. See the Google Play page for the list of pro features:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agilebits.onepassword

1. You'd export them to a 1pif file and then import into the other vault. Just remember to securely erase the 1pif files afterwards as they contain decrypted data. There's numerous free secure erase tools available.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

You'd export them to a 1PIF file and then import into the other vault.

Or copy to clipboard (Ctrl+C), then open the other vault, then paste (Ctrl+V)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

1pif is better that copy and paste if you have more than one to do.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

1PIF is better than copy and paste if you have more than one to do

@RichardPayne Not anymore:

Bug: cannot copy/paste multiple items between vaults. Fixed.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4#beta

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

ah, cool.

• Yeah, that's @svondutch‌ for you :)

This discussion has been closed.