1 Password (Mac App Store) not Launching.

Options
rpkinsell
rpkinsell
Community Member

I sure hope you can help me with a problem I am having with 1Password 5 (Mac App Store). After you released 5.02 and I updated through the App Store, after about a day ( and a shut down of my computer ) 1 Password freezes on launch. This happens even in Safe Boot mode. I have to restore 1 Password 5.0, from my Time Machine backup, for it to work again. If I re-update (when the App Store tells me that I have an update for 1 Password, which takes a few days to appear), the same thing happens again. I am on a late 2012 21.5” iMac, Fusion Drive, running OSX 10.10.1.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Have you tried doing this:

1. Drag the 1P app to the trash (don't use any app cleaner tool);
    2. Empty the trash and reboot.
    3. Download and re-install 1P.

Stephen

• Hi @rpkinsell‌,

I'm sorry that you're hitting this issue. I'd start with what @Stephen_C has recommended. Freezing on launch is usually due to the app waiting for the mini to be launched as they need to both be running while the main app works. There's a bug in Yosemite that makes launching the mini trickier than it should be. By trashing the app, emptying the trash, and rebooting, you cause one of Yosemite's databases to be cleaned out and it usually works after that. The reboot is really important here as that's when the database gets cleaned.

If this doesn't work, let us know and we'll dig further.

Rick

• rpkinsell
    rpkinsell
    Community Member
    Options

So, I tried ... trashed the 1 Password app, rebooted, went to the Apple App Store and looked under "Purchased", saw 1 Password with and "update" button on it, downloaded it ... No app showing in the Application folder, and when I went to launch the program from the Launchpad, got a freeze and an "application not responding". I had saved the Program, inside its folder, to a thumb drive, so I am back running 5.0. Seems I am destined not to upgrade to 5.02

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rpkinsell‌

Are you sure you have only have a single copy of 1Password? If there wasn't any copy of 1Password available then in the Purchases tab of the App Store it should have said Download, not update. My gut feeling is you've got more than one copy of 1Password and they're interfering with each other (another Yosemite bug I'm afraid). Basically you can't have another copy of the 1Password application anywhere on your local drive or any drives that stay connected to your system for any length of time.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@littlebobbybites, you say "Basically you can't have another copy of the 1Password application anywhere on your local drive or any drives that stay connected to your system for any length of time."

I believe that applies only to any drive indexed by Spotlight, though I could easily be wrong. I have two external clones of my hard drives, both of which are set not to be indexed, and have had no problems.

• Hi @danco,

Technically speaking it's not drives indexed by Spotlight that's the issue. It's any directory that LaunchServices registers and monitors. I've seen external drives cause this issue as well. If it hasn't caused you issues consider yourself lucky. :smile: Here's to hoping Apple fixes this issue in 10.10.2.

Rick

• rpkinsell
    rpkinsell
    Community Member
    Options

Again, trashed 1P after disconnecting all my backup drives (Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine), rebooted, and was able to download 5.02 from the App store. Now, I'll see if the same problems arise after I shut down for the night and restart tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Best of luck, @rpkinsell. :)

I'm glad you've been able to get 5.02 downloaded and hope you'll be free from any further problems!

• rpkinsell
    rpkinsell
    Community Member
    Options

OK ... Yesterday (first restart with 5.02) everything was fine. This morning, no 1P Mini icon in the Menu Bar and the app froze on launch, again. Rebooted without external drives attached, and everything started working again ... able to launch and the Mini icon back in the menu bar. Any ideas, solutions, archaic VooDoo rituals or curses that apply?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rpkinsell,

If it works when you reboot without the external drives connected, it sounds like the problem is related to the Yosemite issues described earlier in this thread. In that case, I'm afraid there isn't really much we can suggest, since it's an issue with the OS.

However, there are a couple things you can try that might help. First, try rebooting your Mac with only one of your backup drives connected. See if 1Password works, then reboot again with the other backup drive connected (and the first backup drive disconnected). If the problem only happens with one of the backup drives being connected, that will at least narrow down the cause of the problem.

You can also try deleting any copies of the 1Password app from your Carbon Copy Cloner drive, and then see if 1Password works correctly.

Sorry we don't have more suggestions! Hopefully this will be solved soon in a Mac OS update.

• rpkinsell
    rpkinsell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help, everyone.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @rpkinsell, on everyone's behalf. :)

Have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.