Cannot import my csv file (from Dataviz' Passwords Plus) into Mac 1Password v. 4.4.2.

Options
mehartmann
mehartmann
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

I have the most recent version 2.0040 (220) of Dataviz Mac Passwords Plus. It exported the csv file to my desktop (I can read it on desk in Excel v. 14.4.6, the numbers and others. But when I use the 1Password v. 4.4.2. to import the csv, it does an operation and then says "0" imported. Help. Have hundreds of passwords, trying to migrate and use yours, as I write here from Kabul (with UN in Afghanistan) as to my US bank accounts, etc.
HELP PLEASE. If I could I'd attch the file. Doesnit seem possible. Try cut and Paste below on old no-longer used password on not used airline, thanks, Michael

Adria Airlines & Rental Cars Account No. JP 0555 934 0 URL 0 Username hartmannm or mehartmann or hartmann 0 Password extras7 1 Phone

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@MrC is our import expert on these forums. He has written a number of import utilities to import data to 1P from various other programs. You've already given important information about the Dataviz export format so I'm sure he will be along to help. Just be a little patient: it is the holiday season. :)

Edit: I've just found this knowledge base article with links that may help you.

Stephen

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @mehartmann,

The data in the CSV will need to be massaged a bit to import it into 1Password for Mac. The comma-separated values guidelines gives you an overview. Here's a set of instructions to handle one of the categories, Logins.

Note: the instructions below were based on the 3.0.x version of Passwords Plus; you indicate you have 2.0040 (220). There may be some discrepancies, but hopefully the instructions and the screenshots will make clear what needs to be done.

In your exported CSV:

1. Delete row 1
    2. Delete all rows that have a 1 in the first cell (of column 1, the Is Template column). These are likely sorted at the end of the rows, if not, sort them that way for easier deletion.
    3. Delete column 1 (the Is Template column).
    4. Save the modified file as a new CSV file and copy that file in the Finder 3 times to create a total of 4 duplicate files. One file will be used for Logins, one file for Credit Cards, one file for Software Licenses and one file for Secure Notes. You might want to name them such that the name matches the type of data the file will contain.
    5. Open the CSV file to be used for Login data. You need to delete all the rows that are not Logins. Logins can be detected by looking at the data under the column labeled Field 1 Label and the cell value for logins will be URL, Field 2 Label and the cell value will be Username, and Field 3 Label and the cell value will be Password.
    6. Rearrange the columns of the Login records such that the columns are in exactly the following order (ignore other columns for now): Title, URL (which is Field 1 Value) , Username (which is Field 2 Value), Password (which is Field 3 Value), Notes (which is Field 6 Label - note: Label seems to contain the notes, not the Value column). The remaining columns will be imported as extra fields in 1Password. After you see how this works, you might want to deleted unnecessary columns and re-do the import.
    7. With 1Password, Import the data using File > Import and select the File Format as Comma Delimited Text (.csv), and then in the Import As pull-down, select Login. Select the Login CSV file.

Here's an example of the spreadsheet and the imported data:

You would do likewise, according to the guidelines mentioned above for the other three categories.

There has not been much call for conversion from this password manager, so I have not yet created a converter module for the convert_to_1p4 utility.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

For future reference, the converter suite now has a Passwords Plus converter.

This discussion has been closed.