1Password browser extension in virtual machine

Hi,
I am running 1Password on my windows computer and are also enjoying the chrome extension. Now, the thing is that I need to do my development on a Linux machine, which I have wunning in a virtual machine on the same physical computer. Naturally, the chrome extension is also loaded on the virtual machine, but since I cannot run the main program or the helper it will not work there.

Now, I just learned that the extension and the helper communicates over websockets. Is there any way I can tell the extension to look for the helper on a different IP (that is the ip of my physical machine as seen by the virtual machine)? I made a graph to explain the concept a little further...

Thanks
Pär

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

You can install and run 1Password for Windows on Linux using WINE. Search these forums for threads on doing so.

Is there any way I can tell the extension to look for the helper on a different IP (that is the ip of my physical machine as seen by the virtual machine)?

That's an interesting idea. I suspect that @svondutch will say that it's too much of a risk to allow your master password to travel over the network; although my own opinion is that if the client and server are on the same subnet then the risk is not significantly greater than passing the master password through a socket on a single machine.

• degen
    degen
    Community Member

Sure, I totally agree that letting the password travel over a network is not a good thing. But in this case it is not even a physical network. The link is completely virtual...

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

True, but if they provide the facility then someone will use it wrong! ;)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

In answer to your specific question, @degen, I don't know of any way to "tell the extension to look for the helper on a different IP"; as far as I'm aware, the helper, the browser extensions, and the main 1Password program must be installed on the same machine (even if it's virtual).

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni

Yes, indeed @DBrown‌ is spot on. The extension and the client must be one the same host - we only connect to localhost for security reasons. If you need filling in Linux, please use Wine.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @Philippe-AG‌!

@degen‌, please note that Wine is not a supported environment, and we've heard from other users about certain incompatibilities, but you may have some success with some functionality.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

The only things I'm aware that don't work are:

Ctrl+\
    Conceal Passwords
    Auto-lock when terminal is locked
    Application filling

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the list of "certain incompatibilities," @RichardPayne!

I was hoping you could provide the details. :)

This discussion has been closed.