Problems with 1Password Mac 5.0.2

Options
Robster
Robster
Community Member

For some strange reason a number of my 1Password logins no longer work, they used to but now don't.

However the data is correct, if I copy/paste the details from the 1Password app, it all works fine.
This is hugely frustrating and I cannot see how to report the problem!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The usual reason for a login to stop working in 1P is that the owner of the site has made some "behind the scenes" changes to the login page. In that case if you re-create and save the login manually it usually fixes the problem in 1P. That linked page includes the following:

Saving a new Login manually can be helpful for fixing Logins that are problematic or that were once working but have since stopped. It allows 1Password to refresh everything it “knows” about the page and start from a clean slate.

That's why I think you'll find the procedure is the correct solution to your problem.

Stephen

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

How do I do that?

Also, it is a number of sites.

One is my banking site but strangely I have two sets of logins for two different accounts, one still works perfectly, the other does not! :-(

So I I want to recreate on of these logins, how do I do it please?

Robin

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

So I I want to recreate on of these logins, how do I do it please?

Please click on the link in my previous post and follow the instructions in that knowledge base article.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let us know how you get along @Robster‌ :smile: Stephen_C's suggestions are exactly what we'd suggest in these cases. If there are specific sites that still don't cooperate we can work with you to see if there's a solution.

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Made no difference!

I tried making a new login 3 times and it made no difference!

It is a two part login

First is ID

Next Page is Password and Registration Number.

All of this used to be in a single 1Password entry.

I have now tried splitting it into a two parter.

First entry for ID

Second includes Password and Registration.

None of these work.

And yet if I copy paste the entry from 1Password it logs in perfectly every time.

This used to work perfectly!

This is with my Bank account, I am also seeing issues with Paypal, sometimes logging straight in and sometimes having to copy/paste to make the exact same entries work!

Robin

PS Is there any way to be notified of a response to this forum?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Robin ( @Robster ),

I'm sorry to hear that saving a new Login didn't work for you. For Logins that require more than one page, you might want to have a look at our guide to: Creating a multi-page Login. This works for many two-page Logins, although for some you might need to create a separate entry for each page.

And yet if I copy paste the entry from 1Password it logs in perfectly every time.

Some sites (even a few banking sites) have an invisible cap on what can be typed in the password field. If you type in a password that is longer than the acceptable length, you may notice that the final characters that you type are not being logged. Of course, if you are using our strong password generator to generate "super-secure-long-password", you wouldn’t notice that the website is silently ignoring the last few characters, and saving "super-secure-long-pa” instead. When you copy and paste the password in, it works in such a way that the website sees the "super-secure-long-pa” part and can still ignore the excess. Filling with 1Password works a little bit differently though, so you might get an incorrect password warning.

If copying and pasting is working for you, I wonder if this is what might be happening here. If that is the case, the best solution is to determine if there are any hidden password restrictions for the site and create a fresh password that fits within those restrictions.

In any case, we'd be able to do some more detailed troubleshooting if you could provide us with a few URLs that are giving you trouble.

PS Is there any way to be notified of a response to this forum?

You can change your forum notifications here.

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

The main site I am having difficulty with is my Bank account, so giving you the URL is not really going to help.

This was working perfectly until the latest release of 1Password I believe, when things started to go wrong.

I am unaware of any changes in password length and have certainly not been notified by the bank of any.

I have tried creating two different logins, one for first page and another for second page.

This does not help.

I have on occasion had a similar issue with Paypal, typically when being passed to Paypal from a resellers site, using 1Password does not work, copy paste from 1Password does! :-(

Again this only started recently.

Robin

• Hi @Robster,

Can you tell me which version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser and also which browser you're using? To find out the extension version, go to your browser's extension settings and the version should be listed next to the 1Password extension.

The 1Password extension is responsible for the filling and if a recent Mac update broke some of the issues, the only way that would be possible is if you're using our beta extension versions. The stable version of our extension hasn't changed since late Oct last year and Mac updates do not affect how it works except for the beta version.

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I am using Safari and the extension is 4.2.5 which I believe is the current version?

Regards.

Robin

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm

Just had a brain wave.

I have a Windows 7 VM with 1Password installed on this as well and the 1Password vault is shared/synced with this and my IOS device.

Using my old banking 1Password logins, which do not work on the Mac, they work perfectly and first time in Windows!

So there is nothing wrong with the login, or the website, the issue is somewhere on the Mac and 1Password on the Mac!!

Regards.

Robin

• Hi @Robster,

I am using Safari and the extension is 4.2.5 which I believe is the current version?

That is the current stable version, in that case, the Mac update shouldn't change anything.

Using my old banking 1Password logins, which do not work on the Mac, they work perfectly and first time in Windows!

Which version of the extension is installed and in which browser on Windows?

That's unusually weird because for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, the extension is the same code. So, if it works on Windows in these browsers with the same extension version, your guess would be correct that something is very strange on the Mac.

I would like you to try something for me:

1. Open the main 1Password app, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Browsers and uncheck Automatically submit logins after filling
    2. Restart the browser, try the filling again, does it work?
  • Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Unchecking automatically logged in fixed it first time!

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Oops

I meant to say I also have a Mac Mini which is synced with 1Password, same problem exists on that!

All at same versions as my MBPr.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Robster

Apologies, can I just query post #13 where you said

Unchecking automatically logged in fixed it first time!

Are you saying that helped?

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Sorry if I was not clear.

After I unchecked that option, the original login worked perfectly, although obviously I have to press enter.

So I guess the question is, why do these logins work okay through the same vault on a PC but fail on a Mac.

On a Mac that they used to work fine on!

Regards.

Robin

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Robin ( @Robster ),

I'm glad to hear that disabling auto-submit got the Login filling properly for you!

In order to troubleshoot this any further, we really do need the URL that has been causing so much trouble. If you're uncomfortable with posting it publicly, of course we understand. You can send it in to support+forums@agilebits.com along with a link to this discussion and your forum username so that we can quickly connect the dots.

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Even if I send the link it would not help.

I have to be logging into my bank account and already have gone through the first part of login before the failure happens.

I am afraid I cannot give you my bank account number to allow you to get this far!!!!!

This used to work fine, it still works fine under Windows, why is the Mac side broken?

Regards.

Robin

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Robster,

Thanks for clarifying that the issue is on the second page. We do not want your bank account information here, of course! We have team members from across Canada, the US and Europe. If we know which bank is acting up, there's a fairly good chance that someone on our team has an account with the bank and can help us test the second page.

There are several reasons why things can go sideways with an existing Login, and it's hard to speculate without a bit more detail.

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan

My account is with Santander.

Top level is here:- http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/index

My private account works fine, my business account fails.

Both have the exact same two page login.

Both work in Windows, both used to work on Mac, now only the private one does.

Regards.

Robin

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Just for information (no solution, I'm afraid) there's an interesting old thread about the Santander logins here. You may be particularly interested in this AgileBits post in that thread, and the link it contains.

Stephen

• Meek
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @Robster,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble filling on Santander! I've passed this on to our development team and we will investigate what is going on.

In the meantime, if you would like, I would suggest trying out the beta version of 1Password. To enable betas in 1Password 5 for Mac, give the following a try:

1. Open 1Password 5.
    2. Click 1Password 5 > Preferences > Updates
    3. Select the option to Include beta builds
    4. Click Check Now and then click Install Update.

Then, install the beta extension by clicking "Enable Betas", and installing the extension again here: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

I'd be interested to see if the beta extension works any better for you.

ref: OPX-410

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I am on 1Password 5.1

When I open preferences I cannot see any reference to updates anywhere, nor any mention of beta builds!

I am guessing this is because I have the Apple App Store version?

Robin

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it's a little tricky using beta builds if you're using the Mac App Store version of 1P. It's possible but does require a little jiggery pokery moving back and forth between the versions. If you want to try it please post back and someone will point you to the relevant knowledge base articles explaining how to migrate to the beta—and back again when you need to.

Stephen

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Well it is worth a try and I am pretty sure I was on a beta release of 5 originally!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Migrating to the web store version (which is effectively what migrating to the beta is)

Migrating to the the Mac App Store version

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Robster,

I hope that the links that Stephen_C provided have got you all sorted out! Please let us know if the beta version of 1Password fills this site a little bit better for you.

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

It is a little more complex than I remember but I will try and do the cross grade and beta later today.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Robster, if you need any help switching to the web store / beta version, please let us know. Thanks!

• Robster
    Robster
    Community Member
    Options

I have just done the migration and installed with beta's enabled.

My bank is now working again as it used to, at least in Safari which is my primary browser.

So the question is should I stay on the beta's! :-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @Robster, thanks for letting us know it works in the latest betas for 1Password 5 and the browser extension! :)

It's entirely up to you if you want to continue using the betas or not. For now, it seems like you'll need to use the beta versions in order for the Santander login to work. Once we release new stable release versions that include those fixes/improvements, you can certainly go back to using the Mac App Store version if you want.

If you need any help with that, please let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.