Secure notes

Options
jns7
jns7
Community Member

They've ruined secure notes again. Can't edit. I'm giving as many one star ratings as I can on the iTunes App Store. Is this 2x per year you guys ruin secure notes? Thanks so much. I wi spend 10 minutes every day giving you one star reviews.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please read this AgileBits post in this forum.

Stephen

• jns7
    jns7
    Community Member
    Options

How can they launch an update which basically wipes out any ability to edit secure notes? I use many one password functions but secure notes is among the most frequently used and this bug is the second inside of six months that effectively kills the usefulness of secure notes. At least in the Fall the saving issue had a workaround. This is highly disappointing. I have my IT group looking for an alternative to one password for my user group given this catastrophic issue and the failure of agilbits to resolve it.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jns7,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience caused by this update. If you'd like to help us prevent this sort of problem in the future you're welcome to apply to our iOS beta program: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/32978/joining-the-testflight-beta

The more feedback we receive ahead of the public release, the more of this sort of problem we can fix before it affects everyone.

Again, my apologies.

Ben

• allancole
    allancole
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having similar issues. Whenever, I go to edit a long note, the scrolling is impaired by an invisible limitation that prevents the note screen from scrolling naturally. It only allows you to scroll when swiping on the left or right-most edges of the screen. Also, when I try to actually edit the note near the top of the doc, many actions (copy/paste, return, etc) immediately force the cursor to the bottom of the document, in which case I have to scroll all the way back to the top to get back to my edits. Lastly, anytime I go to save this long note, it crashes the entire app. The info gets saved still, but it’s odd.

Otherwise, 1password has been an amazing app for years! And I really like the improvements that are coming to notes. Looking forward to when these gripes are ironed out.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @allancole. Our developers are aware of the issue.

• LMax1
    LMax1
    Community Member
    Options

I can echo the same issues with secure notes on IOS vs. 5.2 regarding scrolling during editing and the view jumping to top or bottom of the notes box during editing.

Another issue I observed is that when I use a bluetooth keyboard to enter info on my phone, the on screen keyboard DOES NOT disappear as it did before update.

In another thread they asked about use of Secure Notes - I use it for many records that don't fit the handful of templates available. Items like vehicle registrations / VINs, insurance policies and details, student / degree / university info, etc.

For my two cents, a Secure Note is just that - a place to store just about any text item that I need to save and reference. PLEASE retain full text editing capabilities to the notes section!

• abernathy
    abernathy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting way less understanding about these changes and bugs. I had to carry my MacBook Air around today because I couldn't use my iPhone for 1Password notes - couldn't view or scroll. And now I'm hearing that I won't ever be able to select what I want from a note again? WTF? Thanks for ruining 1Password for me. And FYI, I think I use secure notes in a not-too-radical way: I'm a consultant and I keep a secure note for each client with passwords I need for them. This is really lousy for me.

• I always have used Secure Notes for many important texts, and it was always easy to select and copy any small section of that without entering Edit mode. Now to select a snippet of a note we have to use Edit to access the text, risking the integrity of it, specially when we had no other intention than just copying, NOT editing the note. Please reconsider that removed feature. The way it is now, it's like having a jpeg of a text, instead of a useful, selectable note. Thanks.

• Hello @Teodolito @abernathy @LMax1 @allancole @jns7 ,

I can offer some perspective from a developer point of view, and I hope it allays some of your concerns. Basically the issue centers around the behaviour of a long scrollable text field (a long note) within a scrollable table (the entire note). iOS has had a few changes in tables over various releases which affected the behavior of scrolling and editing of long text fields, and we have made changes to fix other areas of the notes as well which has broken scrolling and editing in some circumstances. Though seemingly easy, editing large amounts of text can get quite "finicky."

Regardless, I can promise you we are working on this right now, and this time, we have a new approach that should solve this issue once and for all, and avoid the cat and mouse aspect of it. We thank you for your patience in this matter. We are as frustrated about this as you are. Personally, I use secure notes extensibly and am eager to fix this as well.

• Hello @LMax1 ,

Regarding the display of the onscreen keyboard while the Bluetooth keyboard is connected, iOS controls the display of the keyboard. We can not force it onscreen when a bluetooth keyboard is connected. Is it possible you noticed this after the iOS 8.1.3 update? We will keep an eye on this issue though.

• hdhswr1
    hdhswr1
    Community Member
    Options

Mine goes a step further. Not only can I not see some of my Secure Notes, but when I click on the edit button, 1 password crashes. It still works fine with logins. I tried uninstalling 1 Password from my iPhone 6 and reinstalling it. When it re-synced itself from my dropbox account, not all of the Secure note folders came back. And those that did still have the same issue. When it is a blank looking file when opened and I click edit, it crashes.

• @hdhswr1 ,

Was it a really long note? Some are crashing due to running out of memory. We will account for this when we fix this issue.

• LMax1
    LMax1
    Community Member
    Options

Hasyesk-

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully the notes editing issue gets corrected soon!

A couple of clarifications:

• I found the issues with the notes section in other record types, not just a "Secure Note" record.
    • The wireless keyboard issue seems to be intermittent since it appears to be working fine now (using wireless keyboard this afternoon and the on-screen keyboard disappears)?!?!?!

So, this latest issue with the IOS version highlighted sort of similar issues with the MAC version (don't remember which version, but my computer is up to date with all APP Store updates). In the MAC version, as I scroll down on a long note while editing, the text that was below the bottom of the screen blanks out - it appears to still be there, but you can't see while still in the edit mode!

1Password has become indispensable for me to keep track of personal and financial information - keeping it's performance and the data rock solid is critical!

Thanks for your support!

• Hi @LMax1,

Thanks for the information. Secure Notes are treated the same way as notes in other item types, so the issues would occur with them as well. Thanks for posting these details. Fixing this is a top priority for us and every bit of information helps in diagnosing and testing the fixes.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Christofer81
    Christofer81
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I have ver. 5.2 and just realized that I can no longer make changes in my Secure Notes since the scroll feature is all messed up now...

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Christofer81 I have merged your post in to a long existing thread on the same subject.

Stephen

• hdhswr1
    hdhswr1
    Community Member
    Options

I discovered an issue that seems to have resolved my problem. In a number of my secure notes, the lists that I had made had duplicated themselves numerous times within the same note. So the list would end and then start over again and again, etc. By editing each list and deleting all but the first one and resaving each list. Everything synced normally to iPhone and it doesn't crash anymore. However my iPad 2 still crashes when I click on any secure note. Hopefully it is because it hasn't synced yet. I didn't uninstall and reinstall 1 Password on that device, only on the iPhone. If it continues on the iPad I'll do a reinstall and hope it fixes the issue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hdhswr1,

In your instance I think one bug left unchecked has led you possibly into the other. The good news is if I've understood your description correctly that I think we've corrected that one in our betas. So hopefully you won't have to wait too long for that particular bug fix.

ref: OPI-2282

• Garehead
    Garehead
    Community Member
    Options

Hi hdhswr1, I have the same exact issue and it drives me crazy! The problem is its not that easy to go in and just erase the duplicated data. I've tried to do this and it just seems to make the whole layout even more screwed up! I've tried copying smaller sections form a long note, and pasting each section to a text file, then copying the whole thing back to a new note, and the same thing happens. Guess we just can't use long notes (not sure what the limit is here) until the issue is fixed. Ugg.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Garehead,

I'm so sorry for the inconvenience! The issues with Secure Notes are definitely frustrating, and I wish we had a more immediate solution for you. But as littlebobbytables mentioned, the good news is that our next update should have some significant improvements. I believe the update is going through Apple's review process now, so hopefully that will be available soon. Thanks for your patience! :)

• Tom Boucher
    Tom Boucher
    Community Member
    Options

I created a secure note on 1Password for the Mac, it has a list of accounts and their passwords for an email server I manage.

I need a password from some stuff at the top of the list, but when I open it on the iOS version on the iPhone I need to get the password for it won't let me scroll up to the top of the note. It 'rubber bands' to the bottom and only lets me scroll for a bit and then acts like it's 'stuck' to a rubber band at the bottom.

is this expected behavior? The note isn't that long, just longer than the screen on the device (iPhone 6)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @Tom Boucher,

I'm sorry you're having trouble scrolling to the top of your Secure Note! I've merged your post with this discussion about some known issues with Secure Notes, as it sounds like you're experiencing one of the issue described here.

Our developers are working on solving the problem scrolling in Secure Notes, although I don't know exactly when an update with the fix will be available. I apologize for the inconvenience! Please feel free to take a look through previous messages in this thread (such as this one) for more information. If you have more questions about that, please let us know. Thanks!

ref: OPI-2268

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for finally adding secure note passwords in iOS. However, there is a huge problem: secure note passwords created in iOS are NOT accessible in 1Password for Mac or Windows. Both the Windows and Mac versions need to be updated to access the secure note passwords from iOS.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnny808,

Because we offer 1Password across so many platforms, it's often difficult to introduce a new feature on all of the platforms at once. Believe me, our developers are working to update the desktop versions of 1Password to support these new features, and we'll do what we can to have this feature implemented everywhere just as soon as possible. :)

• Macorin
    Macorin
    Community Member
    Options

Has anyone had an issue with the notes field in custom notes? It scrolls up too far and out of view, so you can't see what you're typing or deleting.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Macorin,

I merged your post with this thread because it sounds like you're experiencing one of the issues with Secure Notes discussed here.

This is a known issue with Secure Notes right now, and our developers are working to fix that. I apologize for the inconvenience! You can look through this discussion for more information, especially in this post. If you have more questions, please let us know. Thanks!

ref: OPI-2268

• Good morning everyone. Thank you all for your feedback. It's incredibly valuable to us to know how important secure notes are to our customers. 1Password 5.2.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store and addresses many of the issues you've all helped bring to light. I apologize for the trouble we've caused with our previous changes, but I thank you for helping us correct the mistakes.

This discussion has been closed.