1Password Vault Icon Different

Options
3xp0n3nt
3xp0n3nt
Community Member
edited February 2015 in Mac

I created a 4th 1Password vault today, and it had a different icon from the other three. I want it to have the same icon, but I can't figure out how to change it. I would also like to know why it randomly switched styles on me?

It's the 2nd vault icon in the image:

P.S. I never even noticed it before, but the 4th vault icon (at the bottom in the image) has a darker colored ring than the 1st and 3rd icons. Why is that?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @3xp0n3nt,

It seems we changed this in the new release, version 5.1 and no longer use a default image now but instead randomly choose one (as well as colour).

So here's the bad news. Currently it is still not possible to edit the colour or icon of a vault. That isn't to say there isn't a convoluted route, merely we just don't offer a friendly user interface.

So the workaround is to create a new vault and copy the entire contents across. As you can see it involves a little work. I had to do this once when I realised I'd completely forgotten the Master Password for my secondary vault. As I wanted to keep the name what I did was I created a temporary vault, moved all the items over and deleted the offending one. I then recreated it exactly as the old one and then moved everything back.

Now to address your desire for continuity.

When you create your new vault it will bring up some random image, I assume collected from OS X somewhere. Select the image with a single left click (see the red circle labelled 1 in the first image below) and then simply press the backspace button to delete the custom image. It will then default to the traditional 1Password lock.

So the image is there, we're merely adding a random image on top, I assume to help identify them. Now for the colour. As you'll have noticed we're choosing a colour at random too. Click on the colour swab that I've labelled 2 in the image above. This will bring up a standard OS X colours palette and the best way to describe how to get your traditional blue back is to mimic the image below.

I do apologise we don't have a more friendly way of doing so at the moment but hopefully that suggestion will bring back the coherence you're looking for.

• 3xp0n3nt
    3xp0n3nt
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

That is a pretty convoluted and obscure feature. Thanks for the help though!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@3xp0n3nt, on behalf of @littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! I'm sorry we don't have an easier way to edit those details of a secondary vault, but our developers are hoping to improve that in the future.

If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Seems like I have the same problem. I have created 5 vaults in the past. 4 are blue, 1 is red; all show the lock as "avatar". Which is fine. However, if I create a new vault (and I need to), it would look completely different. Now that images can be used I would prefer to change the 5 existing ones (they are of different persons in my family; I would like to use a picture of them). However, copying/deleting these vaults is not an option for me. These vaults are shared with these family members via Dropbox (who all run their own version of 1Password for iOS).

Please advice what to do.

(I have 1Password for OS X, Windows, and iOS - if one has more features than another)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XIII,

I believe in your case as you have existing .agilekeychains we can do something a little different. Not much though as sadly it is still the only way to alter the colour or picture.

The process still involves deleting the vault from your copy of 1Password but instead of creating a new vault and moving the items over you can simply double click on the existing .agilekeychain to re-add the vault. When you do so you'll be able to edit the colour and image at the same moment where you are supplying the Master Password for that vault. This way you can edit the image and colour without having to create a new .agilekeychain that each family member would then be forced to switch to.

This will only affect the Mac because as far as I can tell the information is not stored in the .agilekeychain bundle. I'm not as aware regarding 1Password for Windows so would need to investigate or ask someone else to help there if you were hoping for a uniform change.

Let us know what you think and if you have any questions.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks! This does indeed seem to work for a test vault that I made. I'm a still a bit afraid to do this with my real vaults.

Instead I created a new vault in the Windows version, moved that to Dropbox, and imported it into the OS X version. As a result I now have that additional vault with the same lock avatar as the others, but a color of my choose. Good enough!

I still hope that 1Password will allow editing color/avatars of existing vaults in the future, on all platforms.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII, I'd love for that to be added in the future too, hopefully we'll be able to do that! :)

This discussion has been closed.