No prompt for new login on Chrome

Options

Hello all, long time listener, first time caller.

On just one of the machines that I use, Chrome will not create new logins in 1Password. The extension allows me to log in using any existing entry, but when creating an account or logging into a new site for the first time, I am not prompted to a new login in 1Password. Moreover, if I go to the extension button, to Settings, and choose "Create New Login..." manually, no dialog is created.

I am using 1Password 4.1.0.538, with extension version 4.2.5.90 in Chrome 40.0.2214.111.

Here's an odd new twist: in researching the above version numbers, I'd clicked on some random sequence of things that got the prompt to return! I had stopped writing this post and navigated away when I tried again on a new site...and it didn't work. Now I really can't get it to come back again. (Edit: Now it's back. I've not seen the dialog in months, and suddenly while trying to get tech support, it starts working intermittently. Of course. In fact...this exact website is the only site on which it works! I just tried every other tab...)

This machine is running Windows 7 Professional, but I have another box running the same version, but which has never had a problem. I've tried restarting the helper. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension. The "Troubleshoot the 1Password Helper" webpage doesn't load any more (returns an empty page). I'm reluctant to try uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password entirely, but without your help, that feels like the only option I have left.

Any ideas?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Gosh, I'm sorry you're having such trouble on that one computer. :(

It sounds like a lot of things aren't working, though, if you can't even get the user's guide articles to load in your browser.

Would you consider restarting the computer, to see whether that helps?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Note that uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password won't affect your data in your vault; it's stored separately from the software and will be available when you launch 1Password again, even if you have to "tell" 1Password where to find it.

• atteSmythe
    atteSmythe
    Community Member
    Options

Reboot done, not much change - except now instead of this tab being the only one that the 'save login' dialog will appear on, another tab (gmail) is the only one that works. As a test, I closed the gmail tab...and now we're back to this forum tab being the only one for which the dialog will appear.

I don't want to focus on the wrong topic, but the web server really is hosting an empty page for the troubleshooter. I verified on my working machine and on my phone on the LTE network that https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/troubleshooting-extensions-win loads a null page.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yes, but the link to that article is https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/troubleshooting-extensions-win

I'm not sure where the older, broken link is coming from, but I hope the newer, working link helps.

• atteSmythe
    atteSmythe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - the quick link in the help screen is broken, then, on the Windows version:

Now that I can see it, I'll continue checking the guide.

• atteSmythe
    atteSmythe
    Community Member
    Options

Well, for now, things seem to be working again. Part of me wishes I knew what changed, but the bigger part is just happy it's working again. I'll post again if anything changes.

Thanks for your help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to help, @atteSmythe, and even more glad that you've got everything working. Thanks for letting us know!

We apologize for the broken link. Some server "housecleaning" seems to have broken several, but we think they're all working in the current beta build, which means they'll be in the next stable build.

Thanks for your patience!

• lilphoton
    lilphoton
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar, although slightly different issue. I am running Windows 8.1, 1Password 4.6.0.584 (12) and Chrome Extension 4.4.2.90 with Chrome Version 44.0.2403.155 m. When I first logged into a site (the default gateway for my new router), I got the prompt from 1Password to log in. I decided to change the password for the default gateway first though, and now I can't get the prompt back!

I've tried rebooting Chrome, rebooting my computer, and manually saving the login as described here https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/ but nothing works. I recorded a little video of what happens if it helps - oh, but for some reason I'm not allowed to upload it, so maybe this will work https://www.dropbox.com/s/3090gth2i7pukzc/Crapcast.mp4?dl=0. In any case, I'm just unable to get 1Password to generate any kind of dialogue box on this page. If I login to something else somewhere else, it works. I seem to see these kinds of problems more and more on my windows computer, and I don't know why.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

@lilphoton Did you click on the button labelled "Never for this Site" maybe?

If yes, then here's how to get the auto-save prompt back:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Click on: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P)
    3. Click on: Auto-Save
    4. Under "Avoid Auto-Save on these Domains", locate your router's gateway.
    5. Click on: Delete

This discussion has been closed.